Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
jswatek said:
How did the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires work for you at the track? I am wondering about tire pressure. What did your optimal tire pressure end up being? I want to start close to the ideal pressure. Thanks!
They were excellent, I was all over the 2 Z06's in front of me running stock GY's. We were pushing hard enough that they were getting squirely and my Z was still planted. The track sessions were only 10 laps (which I ran twice) on a relativly short track. I based my tire presures on what the mfg recommended for road courses which is 32 psi frt and 34 psi rear measured hot. I also went to the trouble to have my alignment changed to -2.1 degrees camber front and -1.4 degrees rear, had I known the sessions were that short I probably would not have bothered.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK, here is what I went with. Going with John's (CCW) suggestion.
Since I am not constrained by T1 rules, he has me in 305/30/18's on 11" rims front and 305/30/18 on 12"rims back. I could have gone with 315's on the back to square them up better. These are some Hoss wheels and tires. The front tires stick out about 1 1/2 inches. I don't know if they will rub the outside fender well or not.
I haven't driven them yet because I need a camber kit to get more neg. camber.
David

·
Registered
312 Posts
What tires did you go with?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just as a follow up. I used the track tires this weekend and would tell anyone, if you have'nt used them, once you do, you can never go back. They throw a lot of sand and grit around since they stick out so much but there was no rubbing. I need some fender flairs.
David

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am intersted in the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups also..I live in Germany and have been using my fully race prepped GT3 as my goal at Hockenheim race track here. The GT3 goes into evry turn with no noticeable lift in throttle and always seems to smoke everyone in the turns me included, but his straightaway speed I can catch him, but he gets everyone in the turns...well he is running Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and they are sticky....I looked at them after a heat at the race track...and they are so sticky that I could stick my finger on the outer welland they would grip it...I am going to purchase another set of rims for Xcrossing...and use these tires...the GYEagle F1's are great but at even higher limits the Pilot Sport Cups are better...the next question is who makes a lighter than a Z06 rim for racing in 18x10 and 18x11?

I want a lightweight rim to aid in handling..the GT3 that I mentioned is using magnesium rims..

Nick

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Nick,
The CCWs are the best combo of weight vs cost I have found. There are lighter wheels out there, but they are near $4k a set. CCWs will be closer to $2k a set.
Almost all the SCCA T1 Vettes, mine included, run the CCWs.
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups aren't the only tire out there. Kumho Victoracer V700, Kumho Ecsta V700s, Hoosier R3S03s, and Goodyear GS-CS R compound tires are all very good. I have run all of them in SCCA T1 races and won on all of them. The Kumhos are best bang for buck. I am currently running the Goodyears because I feel they hold up better over the course of a 30 minute race.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Subdriver,

Thanks for the information..I will look at the CCW's and I have already been scoping the HRE547's also...they both seem to be about equal in quality but the CCW's are half the price...so how does the T1 suspension compare to the FE4? In road testing the 01 Z06's were pulling 1.02 G;s on the skid pad..then GM listened to the complaints of customers and changed the shocks for 02 and 03..they are not as stiff as the 01's..I have yet to see any 02 or 03 test giving a more than 1.0G on the skid-pad...but the 02 and later shocks being more compliant allow the car to accelerate out of turns faster..give or take, plus or minus, apples or oranges..they are all great....but the T1 must be a handful...at Lemans last week where I spoke with Andy Pilgrim..he told me not to get the T1 and to wait for his new suspension setup at Andypilgrim.com ,,,,not sure what he has in store..also David Hill told me that since I am already beating Porsche Turbos and M3's that I should be happy with my setup...well I have graduated to the GT3 and RUF and GT2 crowd now....how much camber are you running with your setup? Are you using the full T1 suspension including springs and shocks?

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Nick,
I am running full T1 kit less camber plates. It includes stiffer leaf springs, Sach shocks, stiffer anti-sway bars with metal to metal end links, and new front a-arms (which really only have stiffer rubber than stock ones - the actual a-arm itself is the same).
The T1 kit lowers the car about an inch over stock and allows more negative camber. I won't give my exact negative camber, but will says it is very negative. If I qualify for the Valvoline Runoffs at Mid-Ohio this year, I will likely put in the camber plates to get a little more negative camber up front. The problem with the camber plates is that they are not adjustable. You get what you get. So I had my car set up with as much negative camber as I could get, same on both sides without the camber plates.

I really like the T1 setup with the exception of the squeeks and groans of the metal end links on the anti-sway bars. Not a problem for me, but would bother me if this was my daily driver.

It is very hard for me to compare the T1 kit to stock as I haven't been on the same track before and after. From talking to other people, I would guess the full T1 kit will get you a few seconds on a 2 mile track with a fair amount of turns.

I will be heading to Roebling Road near Savannah on July 5th and 6th. I ran several DEs there last year on the stock suspension with Hoosiers. So I should get a fair before/after comparison at that point.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Subdriver,

Thanks for the information....A few seconds per lap is a lot of time in a 20-30 minute heat..sounds like something I need to look into also. I would like to get the full T1 as well, but is it that much harder for a daily driver than the factory FE4? I really will not care about the noises..I think that it will make for an even more exotic car...Good luck at the track..keep us posted on your status.

Nick

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Nick,
I know DJ has posted the exact spring rates on this forum, but I believe the T1 leaf springs are something like 35% stiffer than the stock Z06 leaf springs. Harder for me to quantify the Sachs shocks. But Heinricy runs them on his T1 car and that was good enough for me. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok it looks like Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and the T1 for me..it seems like Gmhas done there homework on this suspension.

Nick

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
AutobahnZ06GT said:
Ok it looks like Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and the T1 for me..it seems like Gmhas done there homework on this suspension.

Nick
Hey Nick, what's going on! It was nice meeting you at Hockenheimring recently.

Just FYI, based on what you told me in person I think the T1 would be way too aggressive for your experience level. If you only attend those open track days at Hockenheim, I would probably stick with a more streetable setup. Once you get to 10-20 full weekend track schools then you might consider Sport Cups and a T1 suspension.

Just my opinion, trying to save you some money :cheers:

I'll let you know when I'm in Germany next. I'm hoping it won't be too long.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Brian,

it was great meeting you and your wife at Hockenheim. I am prepping my car for a vette-viper shoot-out at Hckenheim in July. It is going to be a ful blown race includng Grand Prix at the track with a 15 lap race....1/4 mile, slalom, autocrossing, class racing....and show and shine....by the way, I won 1st place in Lemans France for the GM racing sponsored show and shine contest..trophy presented by David Hill himself...I was there live and wacthed the 24 Hours of lemans live, it was great...since you left Germany, I have been to the track several more times and in fact I will be going to Florida this fall to get my SCCA license..I think I am addicted to this racing stuff now...I know that you have many more laps around the tracks than I do...but I am catching up..hey by the way I got Movit to sponsor me and I will be getting 355MM rotors up front and 355 for the rear..Take care and thanks for the tips.

Nick

·
Registered
111 Posts
Brian,

Hey Mike and myself would like to know about the on-board videos and data collection system, We are both very interested in getting this system as well....we both are becoming Autocross junkies and have been looking at several systems but the one that you have seems to be the best.

Thanks again,

Nick

21 - 40 of 48 Posts