Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at ordering Kumho tires (Ecsta V700) from Tire Rack. The sizes are 285/30/18 for the rear and 275/40/17 for the front. Does this sound ok for track tires? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Go with Hoosiers

305/30x18R, 275/40x17F

Call Ton Reichel at Mid Atlantic Motorsport

www.midatlanticmotorsport.com

He can set you up with AutoX or Race tires and a nice set of CCW Wheels, check out his gallery some nice vettes in there with the CCW wheels, I prefere the Chrome ones.

I personally recommend him, tell him I sent you, Don Williams

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have been looking into the same thing.

When the new Kumho's came out I heard quite a few people say that they wouldn't work well on the stock Z06 rim. Apparently the Kumho 285 is just a little too narrow to sit on the rim correctly and provide a nice contact patch.

Hopefully they will get their act together and give us an alternative to the Hoosiers. Competition always helps pricing and quality.

Matt

·
Registered
467 Posts
Kumho makes their race tires as a complete side-line business... with "spare-capacity" in their tire plants. I don't think the race tire business is big money maker for them.

According to Kumho US... there will not by any more 18" sizes this year.

Note that Tirerack lists the recommended rim width for the 285s as 10-11". The height may be an issue though. If you must run kumho's... you may have to get 17s. :(

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Kumho&model=Ecsta+V700

·
Registered
575 Posts
Re: Go with Hoosiers

DJWorm said:
305/30x18R, 275/40x17F

Call Ton Reichel at Mid Atlantic Motorsport

www.midatlanticmotorsport.com

He can set you up with AutoX or Race tires and a nice set of CCW Wheels, check out his gallery some nice vettes in there with the CCW wheels, I prefere the Chrome ones.

I personally recommend him, tell him I sent you, Don Williams
Can you give us a $$ on what the CCW Wheels go for?
I'm always amazed at the prices my buddy pays for his racing rims and what they ask us to pay. He has a Camaro and it's about half our price.
Bob

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I really hate to put a price on here for 2 reasons

1. Its against forum rules and we need to protect the supporting vendors.
2. My situation may different as I race in a National Pro event, vying for contingencies, and carry sponsor and manufacturers stickers on my car. So your situation may be different than mine.

That being said and since no supporting vendor that I know of carry CCW's or Hoosiers (that's why I felt fine recommending Tom in the first place).

You can probably figure on spending $1700 on a set but don't quote me (that may be racers price). I think that's pretty reasonable. ($400 ea. for the fronts and $450 ea for the rears).
The Hoosiers will run around $225 ea. +/- for size F/R.

As a comparison, custom Jongbloed wheels (which are lighter with magnesium centers) will cost about $750 ea. racer net.

Y2KHardtop (of this forum) has a nice set of used Kenisis wheels for sale for around $3000 total.

If you purchase BBS LM magnesium 5 bolt you will spend between $2000 - $2500 per wheel.

You can get Dymag special Magnesium wheels now for $3000 - $3500 per wheel!

When you comparison shop you can see that the CCW's are a good value, somewhat lighter than stock wheel and look great.

Not bad, hence the recommendation. Above all Tom Reichel is a great guy, very knowledgable and has great service.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Bigger rear wheel sizes?

Has anyone heard of getting larger wheels and tires under the rear. The front has room for a sufficient size but the rears could really use more tire. Especially on modified engine cars, the Z06 could really use a 335 or 345 in the rear. I have heard of the popular tuners mini tubing cars for $3-4k but this seems absolutely rediculous. Has anyone else been able to find a reputable shop that could create the needed clearance? This seems to be the current car's biggest weakness, rear traction.

Thanks,

Chad Williams

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
You can get ....

...315/35x17 on the rear with the proper offset. Everything fits under very nicely and it effaectivly raises your gear ratio slightly (to 3.55) for better acceleration. Doesn't mess up the computer at all EXCEPT it will put more miles on your car if you don't reprogram it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Thanks DJWorm. That sounds great. Is there a downside to the smaller dia wheel (aside from the reprogram which seems minor)? Has anyone done this and have good or bad news from it? Does it look small on the car? Looked good on the ZR-1.

Thanks,

Chad Williams

·
Registered
391 Posts
ecsta v700' pressure

Well, fellas, I found out that by being too busy being an instructor you don't spend enough time checking tire temps/presures. What do you Ecsta V700 guys run for pressures front/rear? Thanks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
There is a guy in our club running on "wagon Wheels" ('97-'99 stock Vette wheels) with 305 Hoosiers on the front and 335s on the back. He says he hasn't had any problems and they stick like glue. Sorry if this adds confusion to the thread...:(

·
Registered
283 Posts
Kuhmo is going to have a 305/18 & 335/18 next year, with these tires you could drive to the track as with the Hoosiers are a track only tire. I run 18x11 in front 17x12 rear CCW with Kuhmo 285x18 and 335x17 the front is lower by 1 inch but will be getting the 305 on front next year. Car works great with this setup.

·
Registered
119 Posts
G Stamatakos, you just helped me make up my mind! I'm in Seattle and if I ever got caught in the rain with Hoosiers, I'd be guardrail art fast.

I'm holding out for the kuhmo 305's, I just hope they are out EARLY in the year. My addiction for speed isn't seasonal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
335 in rear

afriend o mine had fiksemake him a set of custom wheels for his 97 coupe they wear michelin 335/18 call them tey hve done it before. They fit well and his car is not tubbed

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Somthing to consider, I learnd the hard way this year at Solo Nat. the Hoosiers that I order just before Nats were over a year and half old. (See date code in side side wall nere dot will read two diget week and year) I have been getting 60 good runs out of A code tires, this set less then 20 before they went off. (at nats) Check your date code if not with in a month send them back.

·
Registered
391 Posts
track tires

this is from Scotty White who if you don't know drives a C5 in Touring1, SCCA, so if you do Solo 1 and not 2, here is something to consider;:
looking for the correct setup with the Ecsta
V700 Kumho's.

The tire is wonderful and very durable but we were having a little trouble
making the car work the way we wanted it to with such a vast difference
front to back (335-v-275) and finally gave in and stuck 315's on the car
Thursday which worked quite well.
but I am ever so psych'ed about next year on these V700
ECSTA tires and their amazing durability

1 - 19 of 19 Posts