Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, guys. I've never really had too much of a desire to get out onto the track before. Even in my 99 Six speed coupe.

But now, after ordering a Z and conversing with you guys on this forum. I've been really getting pumped up to take it to the track. (Plus, my sister, who bought my 99 Coupe, wants to race me. She knows I'll win, just for fun)

Now my question is, do you guys have any tips as far as me getting prepared for track runs that will prevent me from making a fool of myself and allow me to get some decent times?

Any advice is welcomed, but those that involve "get racing tires" and the like will be an issue due to budget constraints.

:)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
62 Posts
You probably don't need to do anything but show up at a Driver's Training type event and drive. Go to a track day that provides instruction from experienced drivers who can explain the flags, show you the flag stands, braking points, turn in, apex, and track out points.

There are usually BMW, Porsche or other clubs that run these kinds of events. Normally, the instructors will ride along with you in your car. When I'm at a new track, I like to get a ride with an instructor in their car. That's a great way to learn about the track.

There is normally some kine of 'tech' inspection to make sure you have the lug nuts torqued and that the battery is held down etc. Be sure to take that bowling ball out of the trunk...

I'd be sure I had fresh oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid, power steering fluid, and coolent. The Z06 owners video suggests adding an extra quart of oil before a track day, but I'm a bit nervous about that. I'd put about 34 pounds of air in the tires (although I never know exaclty what good cold pressure is) and check the pressure after your first session.

If you run the car very hard, it is likely that you will want more agressive brake pads and high temp brake fluid, but you probably don't need to worry about that for your first event. I started doing these track days 20 years ago and am truly hooked on them. It is a great way to enjoy high performance cars w/o the expense and danger of real racing.

Jim

·
Registered
128 Posts
Stogo, don"t sweat it ! There are four or five of us running track events here in the Houston area with the Zs. There are some autocross schools coming up and driver instruction for Texas World Speedway available from the Porsche club and some other clubs. I would reccomend joing the SCCA here as we have a very good solo 2 program. Email me any time from the forum here and I can help you get to the right parties or instruct you at an event. I've been a solo 2 instructor for the SCCA many times in the past. You can run the car on the stock tires and remain fairly competitive after you get the knack. Ron H

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Thanks!

I'll take you up on that when I get my car RH, thanks, super-nice of you!

"Be sure to take that bowling ball out of the trunk..."
- Jhodel

:lol:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Are you talking strip, roadcourse, or autocross?

Different deals... different approaches.

Smooth is the underlying secret. Violent equates to slow or worse still, bent.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Strips...

...I'm thinking 1/4 mile FastDog.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Re: Strips...

Stogo said:
...I'm thinking 1/4 mile FastDog.
This is what I thought. Make sure the oil is at the regular correct level, DO NOT ADD OIL FOR DRAG RACING!

Run with stock pressure and make sure it's even all the way around. < helps the car go straight >

Drive around the water trough and turn the car to competition mode, spin the tires just enough to clean any sand off them.

roll slowly until the top yellow light on the "tree" lights, then inch until the "staged" <second> yellow light and stop.

Rev and hold @ 2800 - 3100 RPM and when the light start to blink down do the equivalent of leaving from a redlight with a cop on the corner..IOW, drive out on the brink of spinning the tires and get to the foot on the floor as fast as the track and tires will let you., not spin the tires out.

Shift @ 6300-6400 to keep out of the rev limiter, I wouldn't powershift unless you know the track and the car backwards and forwards... shift rapidly IOW... if you are a good powershifter and the track isn't badly prepped...well do what you think you can do. You won't gain all that much powershifting. FIrst times at the strip are better learning experiences... not all or nothing passes.

The last yellow above the green is the light to start moving on... if you see the green bulb you are leaving way to late.

The timeslip should be given to you on the return road. The ET and MPH will be at the bottom. The 60' is an important number on a timeslip as it should be as close as you can to 1.99-2.00 as you can... IOW 2.2* + is an indicator you are leaving the line with wheelspin or <unlikely> to easily.

Let up if you get wheelhop...bad ET but kind to the car..just try another run to do better.

You should shut down traction control... easily forgotten but you will never 60' well with it on.

Turning all the assists off is not really necessary at the strip... going dead straight is the idea..if the car gets "squirley" slow to control...you can always try another pass to get a good time.

No drag race is the end all and be all.

Watch others, visit, talk to vette folks and don't be afraid to let on that you are new to testing and tuning at the strip.

Have fun, it does take practice...like anything else.

Be safe and consider the car's well being.

Remember that damage due to racing isn't covered by the warranty. Keep it fun for you and the car.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks Fast!

That's EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for!

I really appreciate it.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well said Fastdog, ive never been to the track either. Good to know the info. Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
RE: comment made by Jhodel about adding extra oil

I added the extra quart recommended on the video. After four half hour sessions of running the car very hard it was down almost exactly one quart. I have previuosly used a little less than a quart of engine oil in app. 1700 miles of street driving (pretty hard on the throttle) and one day at the drag strip (maybe seven runs). FYI.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Re: Wow, thanks Fast!

Stogo said:
That's EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for!

I really appreciate it.

:cheers:
See if another vette person with experience will let you sit in the passenger seat of their car when they make a pass... it all make much more sense when you see it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts