Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a rather nasty wipeout at a Buttonwillow DE event the other day (lost it at about 120+ MPH on the Riverside turn) and after skidding a few hundred yards and spinning three times I wound up very buried in the mud. (Rainy Day)

The accident ripped the driver’s side front fender loose, blew the rear tires, and packed mud EVERYWHERE. Thanks to some awesome help from some great fellow drivers, I was able to get the car home in one piece. (Thanks Oli for tailoring my Vette home in your trailer while I drove your Z06!)

I spent most of the day today taking the car apart and washing out the mud, and I'm barely halfway though. Every place there could be mud, there is. Many of the bottom ground effects are torn apart and packed with mud. Many of the underside plastic panels somehow got mud inside them. Even the mirrors are completely filled up inside with mud.

Once I manage to get all the mud out, I would like some advice on what things I should check, lube, repair, etc. Also has anyone else torn loose their fenders, and how did you fix things?

Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!

Thanks

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. :(

But, at least you were able to drive it home.

All the body panels and plastic pieces just bolt on. I've had most of them off without too much trouble. I strongly suggest you pick up a shop manual which costs about $125. The shop manual tells exactly how to pull each piece off. Very handy to have that lying around.

I'd suggest an oil change with filter, and an air filter change. Diff and tranny are sealed and should be fine.

Check all the fluid lines very well, particularly the brake lines in the wheel wells. :cheers:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey Nocturne, I wish you luck de-mudding your car.

For those who were not there, the track got over an inch of rain the night before and everything off-track was a swamp. Nocturne went off at one of the fastest turns on the track, more of a dog-leg really. With a bit of an off-camber depression in the track before the turn, you can sometimes lose it as Nocturne did. With the off-track conditions as mucky as they were and with the speed he was carrying, I needed binoculars to see him out in the back 40 as I drove by!

:guiness: :guiness: :puke:

·
Banned
809 Posts
Subdriver said:
Sorry to hear about that. :(

But, at least you were able to drive it home.
Yes. Very sorry to hear about it. I hear the same thing happens when you go into the pea gravel. I hear that you get it everywhere. Luckily, I haven't been off the track yet.

Subdriver: His car rode home on a trailer and he drove another Z06 home. :(

Sal

·
Registered
61 Posts
You're very lucky... even though it may not seem like it now.
Most of the offs at Riverside are rollovers. Don't forget to check your alignment now too. Good Luck.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ouch ! was that going CW or CCW.

In other words was Riverside after magic mountain or before. Had a similar situationa few years ago CCW and ended up on the inside of the track. I was a passenger at the time and swore she was gonna roll, but thank god she fell back down. I think it would have rolled if I was not in the passenger seat at the time. The car still gets mystery dust years later. The same guy actually did roll the car at Willow in October.

If you are looking for body shop advise on the fenders. Over the phone, call Jesse at California Custom paint and body in ontario, ca and tell him Wally suggested you call. Just tell him you are a fellow racer and heard he got Dons rollover back on the road. He will likely give you some advise. If not drop me a PM with a phone number and I will have him call you.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sorry to hear. Good thing it wasn't worse.

Alex

·
Registered
602 Posts
I was running that day the same session as Nocturne. We were running clockwise. From what I could see, he made it out of Riverside OK. He lost it on the transition from the straight after Riverside on the dog-leg to the left heading into Lost Hill. :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: That is one of the fastest parts of the track next to the back straight.

Is this an accurate description Nocturne?

:usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that is basically accurate.

I started Riverside at about 90ish, and powered out the back side at around 120ish. As you come out of Riverside you have to ease the car back left to setup your line for lost hill.

Apparently my tires were too cold or something, because as I pulled the car back to line I started sliding sideways. I let it slide as long as possible hoping it would hookup, but when it didn't I pointed the car straight off the corner so that I didn't go off sideways.

What was funny in the car kinda skipped over the dirt like a rock skips over a pond. After about the third bounce, when I was way out in the grass, it bit and started to flatspin. Three spins later I had rotated around almost back to the lost hill entrance.

I wish I had a camera, as the tracks in the ground told everything. It's amazing how far you slide when you have that much momentum behind you.

Now if I had only had a tow hook, I would have left the mud with a lot less damage. So far the tow damage exceeds all the cosmetic fiberglass damage costs by a large margin.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Sorry to hear about your spin. Glad you are OK.

You probably tore loose one or more wheel sensors. That will screw up your TC/AH, etc.. In a spin the wire harnesses get stressed and may even damage the EBCM connections. The pin connectors at the EBCM got bent on mine and it took forever to find the problem. If you get codes, look first at the wheel sensors connections, then at the EBCM.

Good luck with the clean up.

:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I did something similar several years ago, had to replace the back bumper and repaired the side panel. Including bracket, parts, paint, labor and repair $1700. If possible, put on open trailer with opening in the middle and take it to the car wash. Tons of dirt are still hidden in the crevices, tunnel, wheel wells, etc.

·
Registered
649 Posts
What was your setting on TC/AH out of curiousity?

·
Registered
350 Posts
salvador said:
I hear the same thing happens when you go into the pea gravel. I hear that you get it everywhere.Sal
Yep, it sure does. My first year at the runoffs (lots of rain and not enough talent) I spent 2 short sessions watching from the pea gravel.

The one thing that will drive you nuts on these cars is the wiring. You probably won't have any trouble, but I'd check every connection you can find and make sure nothing is broken and all the wires are tucked away where they should be - which includes AWAY from the exhaust pieces. Electrical shorts and error codes will have you searching the shop manuals for hours if you don't catch them.

Another little trick I learned years ago that may also help is Armor All spray foam. Once you hose everything off and clean it, Armor All spray foam on all the rubber and plastic really cleans and protects!!!! I spray it all over the engine compartment and just about any place I can find rubber or plastic pieces (including the belts). Spray it on, let it dry and it looks like a show car again and keeps everything nice and pliable (that means flexible Brad.) :eek2: he he

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My AH/TC were both off, I no longer use either at the track.

The repairs are coming to about $3000, and the car should hopefully be done in a couple weeks.

I'm just trying to look at this as a learning experience. It's a cost of racing and I accept that the moment I get on the track.

I am really happy about how much help I received from both the corvette and racing communities. Lot of very great people at the track. I feel honored to know them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts