Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tracked a C6 Z51 6 sp coupe? If so, what were the positives and negatives? What mods did you/would you make for track duty?

Thanks for the input. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TTT

Hasn't anyone taken a C6 Z51 to the road course????

·
Registered
891 Posts
I keep on running into one at tracks in the Midwest. I noticed that both front rotors had vanes going in the same direction. The owner said that the rotors were not RH & LH and Chevy screwed up. I could see any difference in wear patterns. You would think that the rotor that runs the wrong direction would not pump air and cool properly. There were not any large cracks emanating from the holes.

I didn't spend a lot of time talking to him, but his car looked bone stock at out third encounter. That's all I know.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Well, I was at Summit Point, WV for a DE on monday and there were a couple C6 Z51's. Both looked stock but one looked as though it had been run a bit harder. I didn't talk to them, but if your thread here is otherwise a dry hole PM me and I'll forward you to the DE organizers to hook up with the owner.
Regards,
Denny

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had mine at VIR 3 times. You will need good pads and good fluid. After the first 2 events my stock front rotors had a bunch of heat checks in them (I do tend to overdrive). I replaced them with C5 rotors from rockauto.com. 4 front rotors and 2 caliper brackets for about 140 bucks.

For the third event I got a set of Z06 rear rims, a spare set of stock front rims and put Hoosiers on them. The car is pretty awesome as is, though it is a tad weaker, heavier and softer than the C5 Z06. The stock oil cooler appears not to be up to the task, I hit 300 degrees a couple of times at VIR this weekend. The stock seats, while comfortable, are utterly inadequate for holding you in place. My next mods will likely be a more stout oil cooler, a harness bar with harness and a seat.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mattw said:
Had mine at VIR 3 times. You will need good pads and good fluid. After the first 2 events my stock front rotors had a bunch of heat checks in them (I do tend to overdrive). I replaced them with C5 rotors from rockauto.com. 4 front rotors and 2 caliper brackets for about 140 bucks.

For the third event I got a set of Z06 rear rims, a spare set of stock front rims and put Hoosiers on them. The car is pretty awesome as is, though it is a tad weaker, heavier and softer than the C5 Z06. The stock oil cooler appears not to be up to the task, I hit 300 degrees a couple of times at VIR this weekend. The stock seats, while comfortable, are utterly inadequate for holding you in place. My next mods will likely be a more stout oil cooler, a harness bar with harness and a seat.

Thanks for the info--you have a PM.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
We have a club member that Auto-X'd (6 events) and Drag (4 events) over the Memorial weekend (got the C6 in April). He did VERY WELL in class.

He has a lot of experience in both Auto-X and Drag. He had an '03 (I think) Z06 before the C6 and is very pleased with the C6 in comparison.

I'll see how he does over the weekend of July 9th & 10th - we have 11 Auto-X events set for that weekend.

P.S. I was one of the ones that he beat (he was usually 2nd each event and I was 3rd out of 6). My only redemption - that was my 1st attempt at an NCCC weekend event.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JoeS said:
We have a club member that Auto-X'd (6 events) and Drag (4 events) over the Memorial weekend (got the C6 in April). He did VERY WELL in class.

He has a lot of experience in both Auto-X and Drag. He had an '03 (I think) Z06 before the C6 and is very pleased with the C6 in comparison.

I'll see how he does over the weekend of July 9th & 10th - we have 11 Auto-X events set for that weekend.

P.S. I was one of the ones that he beat (he was usually 2nd each event and I was 3rd out of 6). My only redemption - that was my 1st attempt at an NCCC weekend event.
Well, what did you learn over July 9 and 10? Any news?

·
Registered
350 Posts
There have been a couple of C6s run T1 this year. Ed Amonsen was at Memphis. He had the full Phoenix treatment - T1 kit, coolers, etc., but he was taking it fairly easy apparently. At the start of the National race, he detonated his engine in a big way! I think Heinricy and AJ have run the C6s and they are pretty quick!! I still hate the way the rear end looks though - ACK!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts