1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a part of my selling Corvettes all over
the country, I also provide the information
as to how you can track your vehicle as it
makes its' way across the country to you.

Why others are unwilling to do this is beyond
my understanding, if you are paying upwards
of $50K, you deserve "complete service".

First: Vehicles shipped to the Southwest,
West, and Northwest will be shipped by train.

They leave BG via truck to Springhill, TN.,
for loading on a train.

Pulling out of Springhill, TN. are two
major RR, CSTX and BNSF, the other railine
which serves the NW is UPRR. In every case.
the rail portion of the trip will terminate
at a GM distribution center, serving a wide
area, where the vehicle will again be placed
on truck for trip to dealer.

To track your car: You must have the last
8 of the vehicle identification number AND
the number of the railcar on which your
car was loaded in Springhill; your dealer
can get these for you -- INSIST THAT THEY
GET THE RAILCAR NUMBER, without it you are
most likely out of luck on tracking your car.

1. Vehicles to the Southwest (Texas, AZ,
NM, S.CA)

www.csxt.com/index.cfm
Go to Public Tracking and enter the railcar
number.

2. Vehicles to the West and Northwest.

check the link above, if you do now find the
railcar on CSXT, try the following for BNSF

www.bnsf.com/cws/tracing/index.html

On this site you can trace by the last 8 of
the VIN.

If your vehicle is going to the NW (utah,
WA, OR, N.CA, etc), you will "loose" your
vehicle on the CSXT or BNSF tracing after
it reaches E. St.Louis. At this point the
vehicle will be handed off to Union Pacific
RR. UPRR will only trace by RAILCAR NUMBER,
this is the same railcar that was assigned in
Springhill.

Union Pacific Railroad:

http://www.uprr.com/pub/pet/

**I've checked the links and they all work**

Bob Benedix "Corvetteseller"
Bill Estes Chev. "Preferred Vendor"
Indy [email protected]

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
corvetteseller

Bob,
Thanks for the post, very informtive. We had several members looking for this info..........

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Thanks Bob great useful info! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks, Bob... Tracking delivery certainly seems much more complicated than it needs to be.

What happens to cars heading south (like GA and FL)?

·
Registered
24 Posts
everything going to Ga&FLA come here (springhill) and go by rail. MIKE

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have specified info on Florida,
but I would suspect that rail shipments
into Florida would be on CSXT, and that
the east coast would be Norfolk Southern

http://www.nscorp.com/open/qtrak/qtrak.htm

Distances under about 750 miles would be
by truck.

If people would like to order from me in
the difference areas, I can get the info
when the vehicle is shipped and we can get
the definitive answers for everyone.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
It looks like you only need your 8 digit VIN and the custom tracer will return your railcar #.

Thx for the info, but now I will be hitting refresh on my browser non-stop for the next 10 days /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's salespeople who know their sh$# that make forking over 50K a lot more pleasurable.
Too bad there aren't more around. Good Job /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Sad thing is, this information doesn't cost a dime for a salesperson to provide but most don't want to bother once the sale is made. Next...step right up.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So how does one use this site? I cannot get it to work for me, keeps wanting a password.

www.csxt.com/index.cfm

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
gadrix said:
It's salespeople who know their sh$# that make forking over 50K a lot more pleasurable.
Too bad there aren't more around. Good Job /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Sad thing is, this information doesn't cost a dime for a salesperson to provide but most don't want to bother once the sale is made. Next...step right up.
Don't shoot your salesperson. Most sales people can't access the info, particularly railcar info. It is available, but the ability to call the right party isn't usually available to sales people at at dealership.

Be aware that 3100 is the magic deal and knowing railcars etc. is a satisfaction of curiosity. I'm not editorializing, but the car will get to the dealer whether you have a railcar number or not.

Don't let that statement get under your collar... No one should be kept in the dark regardless of how much they are paying for an ordered car.

Folks, I have been there... I knew every step in my 'vettes shipment...it didn't make the waiting one bit easier. It really didn't..' I even went to the distribution center looking through the fence for my car...Believe me...I know...I know.

All cars are magic, emotion, and dreams...no dealer should forget that. Remeber, when "she" gets to you it's going to be GREAT!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Security tighter on railroads

Since the events of September 11 most of the railroads have removed their public tracing pages. Since my company ships via rail car I have access to some of the tracing functions via secure pages. If you are looking for a car coming to California on the BNSF if you send me the information I will trace the car for you.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
1fastdog said:

Don't shoot your salesperson. Most sales people can't access the info, particularly railcar info. It is available, but the ability to call the right party isn't usually available to sales people at at dealership.

Be aware that 3100 is the magic deal and knowing railcars etc. is a satisfaction of curiosity. I'm not editorializing, but the car will get to the dealer whether you have a railcar number or not.

Don't let that statement get under your collar... No one should be kept in the dark regardless of how much they are paying for an ordered car. Regardless of MSRP, it's REAL money.

Folks, I have been there... I knew every step in my 'vettes shipment...it didn't make the waiting one bit easier. It really didn't..' I even went to the distribution center looking through the fence for my car...Believe me...I know...I know.

All cars are magic, emotion, and dreams...no dealer should forget that. Remeber, when "she" gets to you it's going to be GREAT!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
1fastdog, for me knowing where the car is not intended to make the wait shorter but to help me arrange time for the delivery. Ideally I'd like to see my car coming off the delivery truck, but I'm afraid that won't be possible unless I know ahead of time what day the car will arrive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts