Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Z06 has a tendency to want to "fishtail" hard when powering out of left turns. It has happened twice, and I thought the first time I had hit some gravel. But the second time the road was clean and dry. My Michelins are still good, so I wondering if my Traction Control has an issue? A couple of times, when making a right turn, I see the "Active Handling" message when I start to accelerate, and some odds noise from the rear. Anybody else have this issue?

·
Registered
214 Posts
A few months back after I had my custom tune installed I needed to go make a data run. Evan though I had my traction control on the rear end of the car still did plenty of moving around as I do a 0-140 mph run. My guess is that all is well as long as you see the "active Handling" in the DIC.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,807 Posts
To be sure it is not a problem there was a GM TSB for C6s

Had been found that the wiring harness to the steering wheel position sensor does not have enough free slack and when
in cornering or chassis stress the wiring connector slips back from sensor pins and causes the EBCM a incorrect steering wheel angle
and speeds of each wheel then assumes a TC issue

Check that wiring harness and if not enough slack is pull up harness wiring so there is free slack to connector and firmly on SWPS connector and use a tie wrap to maintain that wiring slack to harness connector and SWPS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Racingvette! I appreciate the feedback. I do not like to be fishtailing and people thinking that I can't handle the power!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Driving down the interstate and active handling light came on and car lost power. Shut car off and restarted it this is when the lights on the dash came on for the ABS, traction control and service vehicle soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also have a 2008 z06 that had same problem, same symptoms, Vette Doctor, of Melbourne, FLA, replaced some kind of sensor that is part of steering system. No problems since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is your steering wheel at max extension? I moved mine off max and have not had the problem since. On mine it is definitely the connector on the steering column that causes this problem and there is a small comb part you can buy to improve the plug connection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, dillihag! I did move my steering wheel to max extension a while back before this issue popped up when my elbow was bothering me. I'll back off and see if it happens the next time I am jumping out into a left turn. By the way, would you happen to have that part make and model for the plug connection?

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,807 Posts
You really can fix this for free by pulling the wire loom up a bit to have free slack to the SWPS
and using a tie wrap to keep that wiring slack to SWPS wiring connector so there is firm connections to both male and female connectors

Also might be well to use some electronic spray cleaner to the pins of both connectors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts