Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Wow!!
For those of us who were looking at a SRT 8 Jeep Cherokee this offers another option (although not quite as quick)
If it can also tow some weight I might be all voer this.
The Srt8 can only tow 3,500lbs and it will likely be $40k.
Based on base trailblazer cost this should be above low $30's is my guess.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It says on the PDF in the website that it can trailer up to 6,700 lbs. Also, I think MSRP will be around $38k, and it may not be discounted at the beginning, but with all the price cutting these days, I'll bet $35k or less will be doable. The dealers will have MSRP in the firstweek of August or so...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Too bad it will be slower.
:bang:

However, it will have more cargo room and the ability to tow our corvette's easily is my guess.
The literature says 6,700 with 2 wheel drive and 6,500 with 4 wheel.
I wonder if those times were two or four wheel drive as my guess is 4 wheel would be low 5 second range.
:thumb:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I personally would recommend a larger vehicle such as a full size pick up or Suburban as a minimum...especially for hauls over 100 miles.

Although the Z06 weighs 3200 it is quite easy to approach the 6,500#s maximum capacity when you add a trailers weight, tires & wheels, tools, pit supplies, race gas, camping & personal gear for a weekend.

Don't forget you should also have some towing capacity reserve; otherwise you will be slowed way down on those long uphill grades and have a lot of sway at speed.

The Trailblazers Tranny will also be severely strained. Full sized units have better Tranny's.

The biggest specification and probably most important when towing is braking capacity. You'll get bigger brakes on the full sized vehicles.

·
Registered
798 Posts
DJ:
I don't know for sure (since no exact info has been given), but I would bet the trailbazer SS will have brakes at least as large as the suburban since its designed to be a very performance oriented suv.

All other points I would agree with 110%. A Trailblazer is just too small to tow a car for any distance IMO. Its meant to be a sport vehicle, not a towing rig. Pick up a Duramax truck and spend about $700-800 on Edge's Juice w/Attitude. You should be able to pick up a LT 2500HD now for low/mid 30's with all the price cuts.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I do allot of towing. So I would recommend something with a larger wheelbase.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Upon further review, it appears that the engine, HD brakes, HD axle, 20 inch wheels, 4.10:1 rear and Stabilitrak system MIGHT make it a marginally OK tow vehicle for short local hauls.

You would also need an Aluminum open trailer such as one from Trailer World or Exxsis.

However the Tranny is still a weak point in the Trailblazer SS for towing

If you trailering more than 50 miles or are pulling a steel or enclosed trailer (or both) over hilly or mountainous terrain then I still recommend a full sized vehicle.

I prefer either a 8.1L big block 3/4 ton K2500 Suburban 4x4 or a Crew Cab Dually 4x4 with a Duramax and Allison Transmission

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Looking at towing an open aluminum light weight trailer so total weight should be well under 5,000 pounds with car, trailer, tires, etc..

I know a better tow vehcile is something bigger,etc.. but damn I want my cake and to eat it to.
:cheers:

If I can have a low 5 second zero to 60 suv that I can commute in that can also tow my car (although maybe not the ideal tow vehicle) I am loving life.

:jammin:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My tow vehicle is also my wife's everyday vehicle. She has a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT now. I don't like the Dodge brand anymore :( , and want something different.

She always has trouble parking the Durango and won't go the Tahoe/Suburban route, so that's why I'm looking at smaller SUVs....

Actually, we will probably wait, as I usually buy cars/trucks with 10-20k miles, and pay the lower dollars. I'm drooling at the idea of post GM employee discount used trucks!

Maybe extended warranty / trans coolers are in the offing though.

For me it's Trialblzer SS vs. GMC Envoy Denali.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts