Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well you all know about the incident the other night with the bolt on the control are coming loose, " bolt on the control arm came loose, it is part of the eccentric" what ever that means. " it is where the alignment is Done". Now today when driving in the rain around town to take care of a few things I go to shift into 4 the gear and it grinds going into gear but it does get into gear. It grinds the gear every time no exception. The other night when the car almost went off the road remember I said I bounced off the rev limiter in 3rd gear then ground the 4 th gear entry. I thought it was just really bad driving. It turns out there is something wrong with 4th gear. The mechanic at the shop said something but I cant remember. I am glad I got the extended plan from fichtner chevy 3 days a go. Any comments on what could be the problem?????? Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Bent shift fork or a bad Synchronizer :cheers:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Do a search for 3-4 shift problem. There is a service bulletin available to fix the problem under warranty. The aluminum shift fork gets bend and needs to be replaced with a steel fork (like the viper has) along with a new syncro. I have an '03 and it only does it only rarely at high rpms in 3rd shifting into 4th...too much stress on the aluminum shift fork. I will have mine repaired this year before the warranty runs out. :thumb:

Bob

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The Control Arm inner pivot is on an "eccentric" bolt. Basically, the centerline of the bolt is offset from the head of the bolt. Loosen the nut and rotate the bolt and the control arm moves in/out on the eccentric (meaning "off center") lobe.

It's extremely unlikely that this has anything to do with your shifting problem.

Your problem is likely aa bent shift fork.

As mentioned, the 3/4 shift fork in a stock Z06 T56 tranny is Aluminum. GM has a factory-authorized, warrantiable steel replacement. Since the T56 in our cars is basically the same as in a Viper, it is in fact the Viper's steel fork that they use for the replacement.

Try some double-clutched shifts to see if the grinding goes away. If it does, then the problem is a blown snychro, not the fork. But if they're going to have to rip into the gearbox for that, they can do the fork as well (provided you have an understanding service manager).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you all know your stuff. He did mention a synchronizer not a shift fork. I will run it by him tomorrow. Again, thanks alot. It is nice to know you all know your stuff. Dr.Bigg :thumb:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
You sure are having your probs Bro, hope they don't run in 3's. :eek:
Would agree, most likely a bent shift fork, a new steel one will fix you right up.

Jack

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just my luck qsjack. I hope not in 3's as well. I think for the most part the car is fine but like I said before maybe now someof you willbelieve me the pushrods are bent in this car and that is why I am trapping 108 and not my driving. It seems more likely now doesn't it???????? I hope that is the answer and not my driving , much easier to fix bent pushrods then my driving. Dr.Bigg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts