Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Transmission/Differential Coolers???

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  bbunting 
#1 ·
At what level of stress does a '02 Z06 need transmission/differential coolers?

My application is autocross, some HPDE's, and closed course road rallys in August through the NB countryside.

Will I need such an upgrade?

Many thanks in advance for any wisdom into this matter.:-?

#2 ·
If you get a "Transmission Overheat" warning on the DIC, then you will know it's time to install the coolers. This usually happens in DE's and Road Course hot lapping after about 20 - 25 minutes.

You then have 2 options
1. Pull into the pits and allow the units to cool down before continuing (and start changing the fluid often).

2. Install the coolers.

NOTE: There is no warning for the Diff but it gets just as hot as the Tranny

Some also use a thermal wrap on the exhaust in the area of the tranny & diff.

#3 ·
I run HPDE's (4-6 a year)... did 4 at VIR in 2004 and never got the high trans temp warning. My oil did spike at 296 when playing with a buddy in his Viper GTS ACR. VIR is a bigger track with high speeds so I think it's "easier" on the fluids... meaning you never used 2nd gear (3-5). I think on tracks where you're in 2nd more you have more risk of an overheat.

I bought a Rod Davis radiator (DRM) with integral oil cooler from a fellow track nut on corvetteforum, but have not gotten it yet. If I ever get trans warnings I'll look into the coolers.

#4 ·
I got a tranny high temp warning on my first or second DE, can't remember which at this point.

Only thing I would add to the above is to run a good synthetic and change it more frequently than you otherwise would. The temps seen on a track are hard on even top of the line synthetic fluids.

I use AMSOIL ATF (and am the forum vendor selling it) which meets the GM Dexron III requirement for the Vette. I change mine out at least every four weekends.

AMSOIL ATF
:cheers:

#6 ·
I got the warning light on my 2nd DE. Wrapped the exhaust in heat wrap where it passes by the trans and didn't get it again. I've since installed tranny and diff coolers though just to be safe. After a full 45 minute session, my car shifts as smoothly as ever and no warning lights. If you're getting serious about your DE's, its a good investment.

#7 ·
If you were to do just one, tranny cooler or diff cooler, which one would you choose, and why?

I always thought it would be a no-brainer to do the tranny, but it was recommended by a well-respected forum vendor to instead do the diff first.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I'll be doing DE's at Road America where last October my engine oil temp hit 290 (..got a DRM kit for that), but no tranny warning light.

#9 ·
FOXBAT said:
Would like to join you at Road America. Who was the sponsoring group?
Formerly known as 'SpeedSeekers', here is their new page:

http://roadamerica.fbody.us/

First event is April 16-17th; LOTS of fun, and a well-run event. Highly recommended!

#10 ·
SRV said:
If you were to do just one, tranny cooler or diff cooler, which one would you choose, and why?
Mine has only a tranny cooler. The diff will get some cooling from the tranny, but you could make that argument in reverse as well.

I'm not sure I have a good reason why it is like that. Knock on wood, but my tranny and diff have held up well, which is more than I can say for most of my T1 compatriats who seem to go through them with alarming regularity. I do change the fluid in them often (about every 8 track days which is probably about a 1000 miles). :cheers:

#12 ·
SRV said:
Formerly known as 'SpeedSeekers', here is their new page:

http://roadamerica.fbody.us/

First event is April 16-17th; LOTS of fun, and a well-run event. Highly recommended!
SRV-

See you there!

Guys-

I have one DRM, and the other GM (trans) kits-both on a thermal switch in series. When I leave the pits, flip the switch-pumps come on at 185 degrees-trans shifts better with the cooler, and I never worry about the display warning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.