Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Z 06 with about 1800 miles. Would like to change my fluids to Amsoil synthetics but am wondering if there is a timing issue relative to break in on the mineral oil in the gear cases presently.
Should I add the Limited Slip additive by Amsoil when I do go to the Severe Gear differential fluid? Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Used to be a vette tech on this site that would say its better to wait 5k miles before changing the tranny fluid. I use the severe gear amsoil in the diff without GM additive and never had a problem.

The GM fluid in your diff is synthetic from the factory. It should be good for a little while. The tranny fluid is not synthetic from the factory.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
MiamiCowboy said:
I have a 2004 Z 06 with about 1800 miles. Would like to change my fluids to Amsoil synthetics but am wondering if there is a timing issue relative to break in on the mineral oil in the gear cases presently.
Should I add the Limited Slip additive by Amsoil when I do go to the Severe Gear differential fluid? Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
Will not hurt a bit. The sooner you change over the better. I noticed a change in the way the trans felt the day I changed it. Enjoy the Z!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dwjZ06 said:
Will not hurt a bit. The sooner you change over the better. I noticed a change in the way the trans felt the day I changed it. Enjoy the Z!
Did you go to Amsoil products? If you used Amsoil did you add the Limited Slip additive? There has been discussion about not adding too much additive and just wanted to make sure adding it to the Amsoil product was not over doing it.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
MiamiCowboy said:
Did you go to Amsoil products? If you used Amsoil did you add the Limited Slip additive? There has been discussion about not adding too much additive and just wanted to make sure adding it to the Amsoil product was not over doing it.
Yes on the Amsoil. I added the GM limited slip bottle just so there would be no questions later, however you do not have to use it and I know others who have not and they did not have any chatter problems, and they beat on their cars harder then I do my own. If you get a chance read a lot of posts from Subdriver or DJWorm. They race often, and use these products. Take care, Don

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Don. The information was just what I was looking for. I am going to be doing the gear fluid changes this week.

Why did you not use the Amsoil additive? I am sure it meets or exceeds the manufactures warranty demands. Were you just CYA with GM just in case? Pound of prevention.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
MiamiCowboy said:
Thanks Don. The information was just what I was looking for. I am going to be doing the gear fluid changes this week.

Why did you not use the Amsoil additive? I am sure it meets or exceeds the manufactures warranty demands. Were you just CYA with GM just in case? Pound of prevention.
MiamiCowboy,

Exactly on the GM thing. Even though I am out of warranty now I wanted to make sure there would be no questions. The Amsoil products meet or exceed GM's specs. Also just a recommendation I used magnetic drain plugs everywhere as well after the change. My thinking was it can't hurt to have them and just maybe they will catch something floating around. I was very happy with the trans feel, and the 5W-30 oil seems to work as well as the Mobil1 10w-30 I was using before. Good luck with the change. And make sure you have a wide pan for the tranny change :thumb:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did order magnetic drain plugs for all the cases and should have them this week. Installed a magnetic plug in the crank case when I changed the oil last week. Seems we are doing about the same things. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Tranny/Diff break in & fluid change

It is recommended to allow a new Tranny/Diff to break in for 1,000 miles. This allows the gear faces to burnish in as well as the Diff clutch pack. (Similar to bedding in brake pads & rotors)

I recommend using the either the AMSOIL 4oz Slip Lock Additive or the GM Diff Additive with AMSOIL Synthetic Extreme Pressure Gear Lube 75W90. Subdriver says its OK to run without it. If you experience any chatter it must be added.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJWorm said:
It is recommended to allow a new Tranny/Diff to break in for 1,000 miles. This allows the gear faces to burnish in as well as the Diff clutch pack. (Similar to bedding in brake pads & rotors)

I recommend using the either the AMSOIL 4oz Slip Lock Additive or the GM Diff Additive with AMSOIL Synthetic Extreme Pressure Gear Lube 75W90. Subdriver says its OK to run without it. If you experience any chatter it must be added.
Would you recommend to add the 4 oz of additive first and top off with the 75/90 gear lube? I know they say not to use more than you need just not sure what the sequence should be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts