Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys, I have a 2004 Z06 with approximately 4000 miles on it. The car gets driven about once a week, but it gets driven pretty hard. Some time ago, when the car probably had 2500-3000 miles on it, I noticed it was not shifting near as smooth as when it was new. It would never grind into gear, but it certainly seems to be at disequilibrium most of the time, especially when shifting from 1-2, 2-3, and into reverse. Sometimes I have to really put pressure on the shifter to get it into reverse, even if I allow it to roll back slightly as I'm trying to put it in gear. The car has had a BPP shifter in it, but it's back to the stock shifter now, as I took it in to get it looked at. The dealership said they could not emulate the problem, and refuse to tear into anything unless they can acknowledge there being a problem beforehand.

When I'm raggin' on it pretty hard, trying to bang 2nd gear (using about half clutch, full gas, just like always on all my other cars that have shifted fine) it simply refuses to engage into 2nd gear all the way. It also acts up just driving around town, even if there is not much of a load on the transmission. My guesses would be that it is either a bent shift fork, synchronizer (even though it never grinds) or the linkage. I'm by no means a mechanic and wouldn't know where to begin to check for problems in any of these areas.

What would you all recommend?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Find another dealer to take a look at it. Mine did the same thing with 1st and reverse. My Chevrolet mechanic knew it was a common problem and repaired 1st and reverse under warranty. That was about 10,000 miles ago and now I have 1st, 2nd, and reverse acting up again! GM should have stuck with the ZF tranny from the C4 instead of the junk we have in the Z06s now. Buy an extended GM warranty!

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
04Z06 said:
When I'm raggin' on it pretty hard, trying to bang 2nd gear (using about half clutch, full gas, just like always on all my other cars that have shifted fine) it simply refuses to engage into 2nd gear all the way.
Half clutch engagement isn't gonna "cut it" for this car. From what I've measured, the clutch pedal has to be over half way to the floor to fully disengage the clutch. If the clutch is still slightly engaged during full "power shifts", it's not doing the tranny any favors. :cry:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ZeeOhSix said:
Half clutch engagement isn't gonna "cut it" for this car. From what I've measured, the clutch pedal has to be over half way to the floor to fully disengage the clutch. If the clutch is still slightly engaged during full "power shifts", it's not doing the tranny any favors. :cry:
I know it's probably not good for it, but I had been driving the car in that manner from day one. Literally, from the test drive till now. Not to mention my 2000 Camaro SS, 2003 Mustang Cobra, and now my GTO. Like I said, it does it when I'm loafing around town using full clutch engagement/all the way off the gas.

And there is only one GM dealership where I live. The rest are at least an hour's drive way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone else?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts