Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys, I have a 2004 Z06 with approximately 4000 miles on it. The car gets driven about once a week, but it gets driven pretty hard. Some time ago, when the car probably had 2500-3000 miles on it, I noticed it was not shifting near as smooth as when it was new. It would never grind into gear, but it certainly seems to be at disequilibrium most of the time, especially when shifting from 1-2, 2-3, and into reverse. Sometimes I have to really put pressure on the shifter to get it into reverse, even if I allow it to roll back slightly as I'm trying to put it in gear. The car has had a BPP shifter in it, but it's back to the stock shifter now, as I took it in to get it looked at. The dealership said they could not emulate the problem, and refuse to tear into anything unless they can acknowledge there being a problem beforehand.

When I'm raggin' on it pretty hard, trying to bang 2nd gear (using about half clutch, full gas, just like always on all my other cars that have shifted fine) it simply refuses to engage into 2nd gear all the way. It also acts up just driving around town, even if there is not much of a load on the transmission. My guesses would be that it is either a bent shift fork, synchronizer (even though it never grinds) or the linkage. I'm by no means a mechanic and wouldn't know where to begin to check for problems in any of these areas.

What would you all recommend?

PS> I posted this in the Pit Road as well but didn't get much help, so I thought I'd try here. Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Honestly, mine does the same thing, but seems to go away after warm up. I think it's a synchronizer, and it never grinds when it happens. I believe there was a bulletin on the 01' trannys, but I'm not sure about the 04' models. It was a synchro issue. You can have the dealer check it. You may type in synchro here in the forum and find a thread on it as well. I just kind of live with it on mine, since it seems sporadic. It is annoying as hell when you try to bang gears, but like I said, does'nt seem to do it when it warms up? Wierd.
JM

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what the tech at the dealership said to do... wait for it to warm up all the way. Unforunately, it does it even after having been driven for an hour or two.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Seems like the 04's have a lot of tranny problems also, even-though they have Steel shifts forks. Sounds like synchro's to me. :cheers:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yep.. I can attest to that.. My 04 is certainly having its own share of tranny issues..

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I just got a new tranny from the dealer in my 03 with 12K miles. Of course I twisted the hell out of the 3-4 shift fork (I must have been one of the earlier aluminum ones) and EXPLODED the synchro (according the actual writeup from the dealer I got back...) sending shrapnel through the tranny.

I haven't exploded a stock car before, heavily modified, sure, but stock with 12K miles.....I'm getting meaner and meaner in my old age..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts