Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed on trips over 30 minutes or so that the right wall of the drivers compartment in my car gets very warm. Because it's basically where the shifter is, I assume it's the transmission that's the culprit. From what others have told me, this is normal. It is, however, something I'd like to correct. There were suggestions on heat wraps for the exhaust and synthetic fluids (amsoil's severe gear) to help with this. How effective is that for prolonged trips (4+ hours). I had never heard of a transmission cooler until running a search here. Assuming I didn't misread, is there a recommended brand?

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
The tranny is out back, not in the traditional tunnel location.- the heat source is exhaust/engine heat related as far as I recall.

I also seem to recall heat insull ationbeing your only option to reduce cabin heat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So exhaust/header wrap is the recommended solution? Certainly sounds a lot less expensive :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have heard that the tunnel plate makes a nice difference. I have one in the attic, but have not installed it yet. Too many projects, too little time. I expect I will get it installed just in time to put the vette to bed for the winter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wlxx861 said:
You can also get a coated chassis tunnel plate available from L.A.P.D. - forum vendor.

Chas.
I spoke with L.A.P.D. as they have a 1/4" and 3/8" plate. The 3/8" is ceramic coated and will probably be the way I go. L.A.P.D. also mentioned a significant increase in torsional rigidity along with the 40 degree drop in tunnel temperature. Not only do I solve a problem, but I get a free upgrade in the process. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I installed a 3/8' Aluminum coated tunnel plate a couple months ago when I installed my corsa Ti exhaust. Great mod for the money ($180), and really did reduce the heat from the exhaust, not to mention stiffening up the torsional rigidity of the entire car.. Got mine from EE. :thumb: :thumb:

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts