Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my Z in the shop now three different times, trying to resolve shifting issues with the car. It simply WILL NOT go into reverse without using force, and first and second gears are almost as bad. Under any kind of load, the car is near impossible to shift.

The first time I had it in, they flat out denied there was a problem, saying they could not tear into anything without first replicating the problem. I took it back at a later date, DEMANDED that they do SOMETHING, and they finally admitted it had a problem. They replaced a few parts of the shifter assembly, and assured me it was as good as new. Unforunately, the problem was only worse. SO, I took it right back in, and they ended up putting a brand new transmission in it. Got the call today that it was done. Went and picked it up, took it for a short joy ride out on a two lane blacktop in the country. Went to turn around on the road (three point turn style, no shoulders) and the car WOULD NOT go into reverse. My father and I had to push the car back... and right back to the dealership we went. :flaming: Now they're saying they're going to "fly somebody in to tell them what they're doing wrong." What BS. In the past two months, I have had the car in my possession no more than ten days. The car is a 2004 with ~4300 miles on the clock...Factory shifter, clutch, etc. Now they're going to check the pressure plate. I have an idea... remove head from ass THEN FIX MY CAR!!!!!!!!! :eek::

I've had it to more than one dealership, and unfortunately, there is only one dealership in my hometown...out in the middle of Chevy farm truck country. :bang:

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
My Z06 has been difficult to get in reverse since new. It hasn't gotten any better or worse. I had the 'stealer' look at it and they adjusted something but it made no differance. I got use to it and thats about it. :(

·
Registered
214 Posts
there's a solenoid that locks out reverse... maybe that's f'd up?? that would make it hard to push the shifter over into the reverse gate, not to actually push forward to engage the gear. you also said 1 and 2 are bad though, so maybe it's more serious, or a different adjustment problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Colin Frolick said:
there's a solenoid that locks out reverse... maybe that's f'd up?? that would make it hard to push the shifter over into the reverse gate, not to actually push forward to engage the gear. you also said 1 and 2 are bad though, so maybe it's more serious, or a different adjustment problem.
Interesting... it does move side to side in neutral just fine, but you have to literally force it into reverse, first and sometimes second. I don't know what would be more serious than what's already been replaced... the whole transmission is new. I remember reading somewhere that maybe the linkage needs adjusted? Surely they had to do that when they installed the new tranny?

They said the synchros and shift fork were all just fine, and they couldn't find anything wrong inside the transmission. They also said that when they had the entire assembly out of the car and on the bench, it still could not be put into reverse, so it seems it would have been something internal in the original transmission, but it does the same thing with the new tranny installed. :screwy:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Sounds like you're getting close to claiming the "Lemon Law"! :yeadog: May be they will give you your money back or credit on a new C6Z06. :idea: :jammin: I sure feel your pain....good luck on getting it straightened out. :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
The reverse lock out solinoid could be on the tranny both old and new and if the fail to hood up the connetor to it, it will not opperate. in my bros. Z28 T56 gearbox the reverse lockout solinoid is the same plug as the 1-4 skip shift solinoid. Have you had someone install the skip shift harness? They may have put it in the wrong place. That still wouldn't expain 1st and 2nd gear haveing problems. :screwy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had the transmisson seals replaced in my 2004 (10124 miles) and now it is hard to get into first and reverse, it requires lots of clutch work and very specific placement to get into first. I am hoping that when the dealer reinstalled the transmission they did not adjust the shifter properly. I had only driven the car twice before I found the transmission leak but I dont recall first being nearly impossible to shift into first. I'm going to take it back to the dealer and make them adjust the shifter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's frustrating that no one (especially the GM "techs") has an answer to this problem. I mean how many things can it be once it has been determined that the problem is not INSIDE the transmission. The car has been in for service so much that there are so many variables entering the equation that it's hard to be sure what the problem may be. I wonder what the Lemon Laws in Kansas are..... I just hope I can either get back in the Z, or get credit towards a C6. I gotta have my Corvette, one way or another.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It will never be the same

I had my 04 in for a left side fuel tank replacement. When I picked the car up I had problems shifting to third gear. By the time I got home (10 city miles) it was grinding into 3rd. I took it back the next morning droped it off. They "fixed" the trans replacing 3rd gear, synchros for 3rd and 4th and installed a bad spec stage three clutch (extra $200.00). I get the car back and it vibrates (drivetrain). Ends up I find the the splined hole on the clutch disc is to large by .020. The other problem is it won't go into 1st or 2nd at times 5% of the time. The neutral gate is fine it goes into 3,4,5,6,R fine but won't go into 1st or 2nd. I replace the clutch and drive the car hoping it goes away (denial). Couple months later the 1st gear synco is out. Take it in tell them how it was acting prior to the synch totaly failing. They "fix" the trans again and the service writer told me that I can not have anymore trans claims. The kicker: this car is supercharged and driven by only myself for 6500 miles and before I had to leave my car at the dealer for a few days(fuel tank replacement) had a great transmission. Just didn't like the shifter. This trans will never be the same and I have installed a B&M shifter.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Put the car in a gear, let's say 3rd or 4th. Grab the shift knob and see if you can move it left or right with some effort while it is in gear.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Rippied.Z06 said:
Put the car in a gear, let's say 3rd or 4th. Grab the shift knob and see if you can move it left or right with some effort while it is in gear.
Okay, I'll check tomorrow. The car is being left (inside) at the dealership. What if it will move side to side while in gear?

I stopped by the dealership today on my way by as I saw my car sitting out, right in the middle of all the other customers' cars in the lot :NoNo: and the service manager said, "Good news! I talked to the GM Techs again and they advised us on a special way to bleed the clutch!" Drove the car, and it was a LITTLE better, but certainly still not as good as new. They've flushed the tranny twice, bled the clutch numerous times, changed the shifter assembly, adjusted this, checked that, replaced the tranny, and it STILL doesn't shift right. The only thing they haven't broke into yet is the clutch.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
04Z06 said:
Okay, I'll check tomorrow. The car is being left (inside) at the dealership. What if it will move side to side while in gear?
Then the shifter connection to the shift rod is loose and preventing gear engagement. That problem caused my dealership to throw up its hands once when they couldn't find a problem similar to what you described. I took the console apart and found the loose connection when I noticed I could move the shifter side to side when it was in gear.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, I also forgot to mention that when I picked the car up the last time, there was a loud ROAR coming from the rear of the car. They put it on the lift and determined it was the exhaust pipes vibrating at ~2100 rpm. The retards forgot to put new exhaust gaskets in between the catback and h-pipe :drunken:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it looks like I'm going to have to pursue the Lemon Law on this one. Such a bummer, this car was such a blast to drive when it shifted right. Hopefully I'll be able to get a new C6 with the new A6 transmission. I can't really swing the ~$70K for a C6Z.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Sounds like the dealer is the one that screwed the car up. Take it to a different dealer. After the first dealer screw up, I would have been out of their.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tony Skarbic said:
Sounds like the dealer is the one that screwed the car up. Take it to a different dealer. After the first dealer screw up, I would have been out of their.
Well, no, not really. The car was screwed up to begin with, after about 2500 miles. That's why I took it to the dealer, and they were never able to fix it. It's been to more than one dealership, and had regional service reps involved, GM "techs", hell they even said they were going to fly someone out to work on the car. But, alas, it seems they have given up on it, and after them having the car in their possession 50 of the last 60 days, moving it in and out of the service bay every day and night, the car doesn't even seem to be "mine" anymore. It will be theirs now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update-

Finally got on the phone with customer service at Chevy and started threatening to enact the Lemon Law on the car. That got them going. I took it back to the dealership, they bled the clutch AGAIN, and got the car back, and it shifts like new.

So I'm happy about that. Now other issues are raised. This clearly goes against the value of my car. When I go to sell the car, a Carfax report is going to show a new transmission installed at 4000 miles. That can never be good. (Not to mention, that's not even what the freakin' problem was... glad these morons tore into my car though. Lord knows what else they f'ed up while in there.)

Also, how could the clutch all of a sudden need bled to fix the problem when it had never been torn into before? It started doing it before anything was ever unscrewed, opened up, or even looked at funny on the car.

What's a man to do?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts