Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read two different articles both citing noticable amounts of heat generated and passing thru the interior via the trans tunnel....has anyone heard this as well and are they looking at addressing it.....reminds me of the c3's

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
constren said:
I read two different articles both citing noticable amounts of heat generated and passing thru the interior via the trans tunnel....has anyone heard this as well and are they looking at addressing it.....reminds me of the c3's
The articles are correct. Noticable amounts of heat do in fact pass into the cabin from the tunnel. Who are you referring to when you ask, "are THEY looking at addressing it", the owner or the manufacturer? Some owners have removed the carpeting and seats and installed insulation and/or sound deadening material which has some effect on heat transmission.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
mcss383 said:
Who cares? Its a race car for the street! :)
:roll:

Charlie

·
Registered
967 Posts
constren said:
Nothing a $250 dollar aftermarket ceramic coated tunnel sheild can't fix.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I put a coated Aluminum tunnel stiffener on my car the last time I changed my exhaust. It made a very big difference in how much is transmitted into the cabin. Even in the heat of
BG during the fest, the tunnel never got very warm, not to mention the added benefit of the chassis being much tighter and solid feeling. Great mod for $180 from Elite Engineering in Windsor, CO :thumb: :thumb:

Jim

·
Registered
173 Posts
At Carlisle, Dave Hill said this situation was improved with the new Z06...

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
tlaselva said:
Nothing a $250 dollar aftermarket ceramic coated tunnel sheild can't fix.
I'm looking forward to getting one of these.

Alex :zboobie:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Whipdan said:
I too would recommend Elite in Colorado. Great prices and service. Called one day, had the plate the next morning.
Is this one made of aluminum or stainless steel? Is it ceramic coated?

TIA,

Alex :thumb:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Drive a new Viper for 3 days (we rented one when trying to decide between the Z06 and viper) and you won't even notice any heat from the Vette.

Between the trans tunnel heat and the side pipes, you need to keep the air on ALL THE TIME in the Viper

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There seems to be some confusion here....I am talking about the new 2006 Z06. I read two recent articles about it.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
Is this one made of aluminum or stainless steel? Is it ceramic coated?

TIA,

Alex :thumb:
Alex,
When you check their website, you'll see that they have both the Aluminum and stainless steel ones, both coated and uncoated. Great mod, IMHO :thumb: :thumb:

Jim

·
Registered
99 Posts
In response to concerns about transmission tunnel heat:

In the Sept. 5th AutoWeek, Dave Hill points out that those who expressed concerns about transmission tunnel heat getting into the interior, tested cars which were "were pre-productions cars lacking improved 'transmission-tunnel noise isolators'" [which were incorporated into the final production Z06's].

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
That is correct.
There is heat shielding on ZO6.
The biggest issue for this is the fact that the converters are directly in this tunnel. They burn at 800 degrees F at times.
Most models I rode in did NOT have the shield, 2 did.
It does make a different, although how much, I did not measure.
Allthebest, c4c5

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Jim Lembo said:
Alex,
When you check their website, you'll see that they have both the Aluminum and stainless steel ones, both coated and uncoated. Great mod, IMHO :thumb: :thumb:

Jim
Thanks Jim. Which is stronger? Stainless steel or aluminum?

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
Thanks Jim. Which is stronger? Stainless steel or aluminum?
Alex,
The stainless steel one is probably stronger, I went with the Aluminum plate for the weight savings. When you call Jeff at Elite, he will give you all the details, or you can check out the weights of the different ones on his website. HTH,

Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts