Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been wanting to paint my calipers red for a while on my torch red car....but I just couldnt seem to find paint that would match. But after much looking on this site and another one...people seemed to have good luck with duplicolors caliper paint kit. So I went down to the local autoparts store and picked up the kit and got to work. The lifting was the usual pain and cleaning and taping off wasnt so bad....but when I started painting the caliper, thats when everything went down hill. The paint looked darker than normal and was much darker than my car. Not only that but it was all runny and uneven, which made me start doubting the whole thing. After the first coat it looked like crap and decided that it was less trouble to remove the paint off one caliper rather than do all of them and then change my mind. So I got some paint thinner and went after it. I realized that it was going to look horrible if I would have finished the whole car. Now I am convinced that the only way to match the paint correctly is to got to the dealer and get the right code, take off the calipers completely and spray them. This would definitely yield the best outcome IMO. If you guys have had better results with a different method, let me know cause this didnt work. :( :-?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Simple, remove the stock calipers and install brand new Z06 calipers. They're already torch red.

I did the same thing you did, I painted one caliper with a kit, but it looked pretty poor so I removed the paint. Instead, I ordered 4 new Z06 calipers for around $320, then sold my stock gray calipers for $180 on Ebay. Best $140 I ever spent! The Z06 calipers are powder coated, not painted, so they hold up much better.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Get a pint of Rustoleum Sunrise Red and a couple of foam applicator brushes. This stuff lasted some 30k + miles on my previous 98 coupe's calipers and still looked great when I sold the car.

·
21,398 Posts
ck98c5 said:
Get a pint of Rustoleum Sunrise Red and a couple of foam applicator brushes. This stuff lasted some 30k + miles on my previous 98 coupe's calipers and still looked great when I sold the car.
:yeadog:

I used spray on Rustoleum. Here's a tip, paint over the word Corvette and when it dries, sand it off with 300 grit!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have had great luck with Hobby Poxy that I get at the hobby shop. It is a 2 part epoxy and you can get gloss hardner. I put it in Prevail sprayer. (aresol with a glass jar you put the paint in) Hobby poxy is very tough and is very forgiving (does not run easily). :cool:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
We like vette1's idea. Touch up painting is never really right. With powder coating, they'll beadblast them first and get down to bear metal and its a very durable coating. When done you'll have something that looks OEM or better.

·
Registered
367 Posts
FRCLandon said:
How did the rustoleum match your car??? Were they comparable to the zo6s calipers? question to ck98c5
Well... that car was black. It matched great. Seriously though, I used that color based on feedback from others who had used it, and reported that it was a good match for their TR cars. This was before Z06's were born.

p.s. good tidbit of advice from Jub... Paint the 'Corvette' lettering and sand off w/very fine sandpaper. This is much easier than trying to NOT paint the letters.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I used the Rustoleum on teh TR '00 coupe I had and the color was real close. Except I didn't sand the letters after I painted them. I sanded them BEFORE I painted the then waited for about 20-30 minutes until the paint had skimmed over and was starting to harden then used a razor blede held at a low angle to cut the paint off. Very easy and it held up for 2 years beore I sold the car

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
The Torch said:
I used the Rustoleum on teh TR '00 coupe I had and the color was real close. Except I didn't sand the letters after I painted them. I sanded them BEFORE I painted the then waited for about 20-30 minutes until the paint had skimmed over and was starting to harden then used a razor blede held at a low angle to cut the paint off. Very easy and it held up for 2 years beore I sold the car
Ditto...
I just finished installing new rotors and decided to repaint the calipers about two weeks ago with VHT Brake/Rotor and caliper paint. I did the rotor hats with Duplicolor blue. My old rotors also lasted two years with no paint deterioration on the hats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts