Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find another Z06 to compare to, so I thought I might ask the board members if they could look at something on their Z for me :D.

It concerns the trunk lid fit to the rest of the car. Mine sits pretty high above the rear window deck in the center section of the lid, but sits pretty even with the rest of the panels on the front corners, and long the rear fenders. I did look at a couple of convertables (which use the same lid, but have a different panel ahead of the trunk lid), and they sat alot better than mine -- they were not high in the center/front area of the lid.

I think I need to adjust mine, but want to make sure it's not related to the rear window deck heigth somehow on a Z.

If anyone could be so kind to take a eyeball look down the front edge of their trunk lid and let me know how it sits with respect to the rear window deck, I'd be real greatful :D.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Mine sits pretty level with the window panel. However, one difference between mine and a buddy's, is mine has a rubber bumper block that 'pushes' the trunk lid up slightly. My friend's does not have this rubber bumper block. Apparently my trunk lid must have sat too low, and this was the fix.

Also, my trunk lid would not pop up enough to get my fingers under the lid. All I did was spray lubricant into the lock mechanism, and the problem was fixed. Pops up nicely.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Lid Rubber Bumper

Manatee said:
Mine sits pretty level with the window panel. However, one difference between mine and a buddy's, is mine has a rubber bumper block that 'pushes' the trunk lid up slightly. My friend's does not have this rubber bumper block. Apparently my trunk lid must have sat too low, and this was the fix.

Also, my trunk lid would not pop up enough to get my fingers under the lid. All I did was spray lubricant into the lock mechanism, and the problem was fixed. Pops up nicely.
Manatee -- I noticed the rubber bumper you mentioned. It's located on the center front edge of the lid, underneath -- you can see it when the lid is up. When my lid is down, and can take a flash light and look through the front gap and see that my rubber bumper is not touching, so I know it's not the rubber bumper thats holding it up. I'll bet GM forgot to put one on your car :D.

I guess I'll have to mess around with the alignment on my truck lid to see if I can get it to sit flatter on the front edge. Right now, I'd estimate it sits at least 1/8+ inch too high in the center (its quite noticable), but seems to sit flush on the front corners and all along the fenders and rear facia panels :-?. Seems like if I make it sit flush along the front center, the corners will have to be too low. This car was final build on a Friday, and it shows :roll:.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Not the trunk too! :eek:

I don't think you're going to get the fit and finish of a Porsche (at least from the factory).

People moan about the 'vette paint (in some cases *very* justifiably) but few acknowledge that this is a fiberglass car and fiberglass paints differently than metal. And I think there are other challenges to getting the panels fitted, though I'm not making excuses for Corvette.

I've seen varying alignments on the rear fascia of the C5, etc. As you probably know, aligning those panels yourself can be tricky..

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BrianK said:
I don't think you're going to get the fit and finish of a Porsche (at least from the factory).

People moan about the 'vette paint (in some cases *very* justifiably) but few acknowledge that this is a fiberglass car and fiberglass paints differently than metal. And I think there are other challenges to getting the panels fitted, though I'm not making excuses for Corvette.
BrianK -- what's so damn frustrating for me is that every other new C5/Z06 I look at has hood and trunk lids aligned WAY better than mine. I tell you, I bet my car was the last one coming down the line on a Friday, 5 min before the end of day bell rang :D.

As far as the paint jobs on the C5s. IMO, it's not a fiberglass material issue. If you look at the horizontal surfaces on all the Vettes, they are always smoother than the vertical surfaces on the fenders and doors. I think GM sprays the vertical surfaces lighter to prevent paint runs, and hence it has alittle orange peel texture to it. The hood, roof and trunck lid, and top edges of the fenders and doors are pretty smooth on my Z, but the sides are alittle rougher by comparison. I've seen a video shot of the robots painting the panels at the factory, and the fenders/doors where positioned for painting just like they are mounted on the car. If GM chanced the process so the fenders and doors where painted horizontally, I bet the overall paint job would be pretty good.

Yes, you are correct about aligning the hood and trunck lids -- they are VERY tricky -- I know this 1st hand :).

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
ZeeOhSix,

Most folks probably have a 'sore' spot with their Vette. I don't let my imperfections bother me. I'm sure your carpet fits better than mine, and your headlamp bucket is aligned better than my friends'. I guess it's human nature that if you know your car has a specific annoying problem, you'll naturally look at everyone else's car to see if they have the same problem.

If the gap is really bothersome, see if the dealer can replace the trunklid. As far as paint matching with a new lid, there was someone else who had their decklid replaced, and the paint match was fine.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think the lid is bad -- just the alignment. I'll have to play around with it some more to find out for sure. The side of the hinges that bolts to the lid itself has provisions to adjust the tilt angle of the front of the lid. I think it needs some tilt down to bring the center lower, while hopeully keeping the corners somewhat the same. Will see.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Zee,

Not again??? Your looking too hard for flaws, you must be psychically willing the flaws to exist! :lol: Watch out with that negative mind over matter effect ;) .

I eyeballed mine; I think it is perfectly aligned (a Tuesday build ;) ) . It looks to me like the rear decklid height would be set by loosening the two bolts on each decklid hinge and sliding the decklid bolts up or down in the hinge. Looks like it would be a PITA to adjust. I suggest you just start drinking until it looks good, or you no longer care :lol:

Best of luck.
:guiness:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Scott,
I finally got my "upgrade"....forget about the flaws (for now ;) ) Take me to those GREAT roads you know:D :D Let go CRUISING:D :yeadog: :z:

Call me,

John

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
pmontelo said:
Zee,

Not again??? Your looking too hard for flaws, you must be psychically willing the flaws to exist! :lol: Watch out with that negative mind over matter effect ;) .
The flaws I see are easy to notice, so I don't think I'm "nit picking" it too bad. I'm sure if you had a 1/4 inch misalignment on your hood of trunk lid you'd notice it too. Too bad it wasn't mind willing, because if I could do that then I could will to win the Lottory and cure all these problems :D. 10 mill will by alot of :guiness: :D:D.

JZ -- how's your lid alignments .... :D:D. I'll try to contact you soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts