Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys--I've learned a lot from reading your "threads", but I need some advice. I have owned other vette's as a kid years ago and now have an 03 ZO6, totally stock. I drive it about once a week and while I enjoy "putting my foot" in it I don't race it on the strip; I do get on it down the highway here in north Texas. I love my car; so do my kids and grandkids. I drive it to Dallas with my wife on weekends so you understand conversation is important (I'm doing the listening). After reading and studying I am considering having LG Motorsports install LT headers and a Halltech stinger, with a before and after LS1 edit on their dynojet. Will any of this "throw any codes" or will this affect the reliability of the way my car drives on a trip of 300 or so miles when I take an over the road trip. Will I notice enough of a change to warrant the cost of the install? I do intend to keep this car because I love the style and difference of the FRC. Any thoughts anyone has about this is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Properly installed and tuned you should not negatively impact driveability and reliability with your planned mods, and should not "throw codes".

Value is down to the guy writing the check. Expect 30 more ponies, +/- 5, to the rear wheels with what you are planning.

Les

robert63 said:
Guys--I've learned a lot from reading your "threads", but I need some advice. I have owned other vette's as a kid years ago and now have an 03 ZO6, totally stock. I drive it about once a week and while I enjoy "putting my foot" in it I don't race it on the strip; I do get on it down the highway here in north Texas. I love my car; so do my kids and grandkids. I drive it to Dallas with my wife on weekends so you understand conversation is important (I'm doing the listening). After reading and studying I am considering having LG Motorsports install LT headers and a Halltech stinger, with a before and after LS1 edit on their dynojet. Will any of this "throw any codes" or will this affect the reliability of the way my car drives on a trip of 300 or so miles when I take an over the road trip. Will I notice enough of a change to warrant the cost of the install? I do intend to keep this car because I love the style and difference of the FRC. Any thoughts anyone has about this is much appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Les--Thanks for your analysis. I guess at almost $100/h.p. it's not worth it. Do you have any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks. Bob

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Just wanted to welcome another "senior" member to :z:
You're about 3 years behind me...:D
I'll defer to the "mod" men and ladies on advice ... depends on how much you want to improve...
Seems as though the power quest progression is usually exhaust, intake, then H/C ...
Enjoy! :jammin:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to Denny and Les and thanks for the welcome. Come on guys, I'm not too old to want more speed.

It's amazing how some things don't change much. I thought you all would enjoy knowing my first Corvette was a 1965 Sting Ray fastback with a 365 horse 327, 4-speed, with a 3.70 positrac. It was turning 6000 in 4th in the quarter and I thought it was real fast. The ZO6 would have blown it away, but I still wish I had her. I worked and saved money for several years to buy that car for a whopping $3,600.

To make her run I had "dumps" welded into the exhaust to run out behind the front wheels. Two bolts on the caps and the exhaust was straight out just ahead of the mufflers, and "intake enhancement" was to simply take the air cleaner off that huge Carter AFB and just let it suck all the air it wanted.

No computers, no "chips" and no fancy tires. It was fun then, and its still fun. Thats why I want to make my ZO6 just a little bit of a "sleeper", and I probably will. It's been in my system for a long time. So, there's hope for all of you; I'm 60 and I haven't outgrown any of this. It's just a little bit more complicated now. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and your knowledge that you share with us, and especially for me. I have some catching up to do. Bob

·
21,386 Posts
Looking back in retrospect, If I were not planning on doing cam/heads I wouldn't even bother with an intake and headers. The difference in power is slight for the amount of money spent.

These cars are quick in stock trim so why mess with a good design!

Just .02 from a guy who has been there, done that.

·
Registered
390 Posts
robert, i know how you feel about the $100 per horse thing. if you really want a badass "sleeper" i would suggest nitrous. how about 150 horses for $1500 @ THE WHEELS? it's the absolute best bang for the buck there is.i realize there's a lot of fear & misconceptions about n2o, but it's gaining popularity as people learn to use it safely.it's sounds like you use your car pretty much like i do [i'm a granpa too] and so far i really enjoy the ease of using the juice on my Z -go from stock to a fire breathing monster at the flip of a swtch- that's what i call a "sleeper" i live in texas like yourself & can recommend some tuners for you if you pm me. :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts