Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with tuners in the Jax area. Looking for LS1-edit and I have some Mods going on this Week. (Blackwing, High Flow Air Bridge, 160 Stat, Throttle body by pass tube, Velocity Stack, Underdrive Crank Pulley, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers w/ 3" off-road X-pipe, SPEC stage III Clutch and flywheel)

·
Registered
157 Posts
From the last I've heard LS1-edit is still new to all the tuners willing to try it. I have heard good things about Vinci Hi-performance and I've heard mixed feelings about Norris Motorsports.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I would have to give you opposite feedback, I have heard and experienced mixed feelings about Vinci and personally went to Norris and his service was really good. They are in Orlando and about the closest tuner to Jax. I would not have anyone in Jax touch my Vette. Personally I think every tuner in Jax is geared towards the rice crowd.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree with on the on tuners in Jax being for the ricers. There are a few though who can do some pretty mean stuff with a Ford. As for Vinci and Norris I've never personally taken any of my vehicles there I've just heard from other people about thier work and service. I guess between both of them it wouldn't hurt to call or even make a trip to go see both their shops in person. You figure for a good dyno tune it can range in price from $500-$700 depending on where you go so maybe $20 or $30 worth of gas and a nice afternoon cruise could be a good investment towards getting the satisfaction you want. If your willing to make the drive Breathless Performance is down in the Davie, FL area (I think)

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
If you do not mind a little drive down to the Tampa area.

You can call Greg at AntiVenom in Seffner, Florida

Top Notch Corvette Tuner!!

Website is down but you can call him at his new shop:

813-661-9000

·
Registered
230 Posts
I go to Mike Norris at Next Level Performance in Orlando. One bad experience with Vinci and I have never gone back (and never will). Mike tuned my supercharged '04 Z06 to 607 RWHP with stock exhaust and all emissions equipment installed.

later ... Larry S.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
IMO Mike Norris is by far the better tuner over Vinci :cheers:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Who even does the tuning @ Vinci?

MissleMan,

Would it be possible for you to describe your bad experience w/ Vinci HI Perf.?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Pit Man ... sent you a PM. I won't discuss things on an open forum.

Later ... Larry S.

·
Registered
245 Posts
SKYZO6R1 said:
I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with tuners in the Jax area. Looking for LS1-edit and I have some Mods going on this Week. (Blackwing, High Flow Air Bridge, 160 Stat, Throttle body by pass tube, Velocity Stack, Underdrive Crank Pulley, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers w/ 3" off-road X-pipe, SPEC stage III Clutch and flywheel)
Just a thought, I see you are putting a 160 thermostat in. If you race all the time that's fine but if that car is street driven, highly not recommended. The oil never gets to the proper operating temperature and causes premature cylinder wear, cam, etc.
I have been in the business for 30 plus years and I am not blowing smoke. I would never run under a 180 if it is street driven everyday day unless you want to re-tune it constantly and change the stats back and forth. Hope I could be of some help.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have also heard bad things about VINCI in orlando area. I personally did not have the experience. A FRIEND had a trans am messed up by them, ( so he says, and he knows cars), he currently has a lawsuit against them( so he says). gain, my disclaimer is this was not me and this is what this guy says. I do not know this to be fact. I am in no way trying to influence anyone here nor am I flaming vinci. I am simply stating what I was told. I have also heard good things about a place in orlando called NEXT LEVEL PERFORMANCE and I was told the guy there treats people with Z06 very well. I dont know about all this just some input. I do belive the person that said all this. I belive you should try to get to GREGS shop Antivenom. I here he knows his SH T!!!! Good luck. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Machineman said:
Just a thought, I see you are putting a 160 thermostat in. If you race all the time that's fine but if that car is street driven, highly not recommended. The oil never gets to the proper operating temperature and causes premature cylinder wear, cam, etc.
I have been in the business for 30 plus years and I am not blowing smoke. I would never run under a 180 if it is street driven everyday day unless you want to re-tune it constantly and change the stats back and forth. Hope I could be of some help.
160 Thermostat is only half of the equation. Unless your fans are reprogrammed to come on sooner. You car will operate pretty much at the same temperature that it did with the stock thermostat.

Stock Thermostat:
fan 1 on/off at : 209 / 200
fan 2 on/off at: 219/210

Here are suggested settings

for 180 deg stat:
fan 1 on/off at: 194 / 185
fan 2 on/off at: 204 / 195

for 160 deg stat:
fan 1 on/off at: 184 / 175
fan 2 on/off at: 194 / 185 :cheers:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have a 160 thermostat down here in Jacksonville FL and my cruising temps are around 175-183 on a hot day. To me this is optimal temp for maximum engine performance. If you live up North, 160 may not be the way to go.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
DavidGP said:
I have a 160 thermostat down here in Jacksonville FL and my cruising temps are around 175-183 on a hot day. To me this is optimal temp for maximum engine performance. If you live up North, 160 may not be the way to go.
I have read posts where folks that live in the cold country switch back and forth. 160 summer and 180 for the winter. :cheers:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Machineman said:
The oil never gets to the proper operating temperature and causes premature cylinder wear, cam, etc.
I have a 170 degree tstat and my oil temp ranges between 214 - 230, the latter with spirited driving on the street.

I don't understand how the lower tstat is affecting the oil temps? :-?

augydog

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
augydog said:
I have a 170 degree tstat and my oil temp ranges between 214 - 230, the latter with spirited driving on the street.

I don't understand how the lower tstat is affecting the oil temps? :-?

augydog
Just to give you the other side of the coin. Here are the xscepts from the Corvette Mechinaic thresd on 160 degree thermstats.
http://corvettemechanic.com/board/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=842&hl=thermostat&

Posted: Apr 4 2004, 06:22 PM

Can a 160 degree thermostat cause or add to the possibility of scoring the cylinder walls?

I know its not an immediate concern but rather one over time?

yes it can because the cylinder does not expand as much as the piston. the piston to wall clearance is set up for a certain temp differential and if that does not happen you can seize or score a piston

Posted: Apr 4 2004, 07:17 PM

160 is not recommended in any way. Scoring, from the engines that I have disassembled, occured in every one. That is over 10 that I have overhauled.
Allthebest, c4c5 is what we do

Posted: May 20 2004, 03:46 AM

I too have a 160, as the Hypertech folks say is required. I'm torn as to whether to up the themostat.

Here's why:

My original motor, exactly to Chevy specs, lasted 60k miles. A cracked head took out the rest... So much for Chevy's wisdom at the factory.

My boat, and to my knowledge, all Merc Marine (Chevy) engines have 160 thermostats. If it's such a bad idea, why would an engine under full load all the time have one specfied.

AND, the boat's hours are equivilent to more than the 60k miles I got out of a Vette engine of the exact same year.

Like anything else, this is my opinion, but it's based on a pretty good anicdotal evidence.
Posted: May 20 2004, 04:37 AM

HI there,
Tolerancing of marine engines is substantially different than that of car engines.
While engine failures happen, due to manufacturing problems or the inaccurate building, it is not the norm.
Corvette engineering stands by the intensive testing that every engine design goes through, and honestly, every engine that I have seen has been problems with the 160.
While the tolerancing of the Gen 3 small block is different from the Gen 2 and 1, reliability is the key.
Allthebest, c4c5 is what we do

·
Registered
13 Posts
Next Level in Orlando

I used Mike at Next Level in Orlando to install my cam and exhaust. I have to say that he is the first "professional" high performance car business I have used. I have built several mustangs and corvettes over the years from Texas to California and this was the best experince yet. He returned my calls promptly, answered all my questions, made recommendations as to some changes he would make in my set up(by the way, I bought all of my parts from a buddy at Kieth Kraft in Plano, Tx and Mike only installed- he was very happy to do just the install!) All of the work was done on time and to my complete satisfaction! My recommendation for anybody near Orlando- make the drive to Mike at Next Level!!! By the way- Mike will be the only guy to work on my car and his prices (parts and labor) are great! Well worth the trailer ride!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
I have also heard bad things about VINCI in orlando area. I personally did not have the experience. A FRIEND had a trans am messed up by them, ( so he says, and he knows cars), he currently has a lawsuit against them( so he says). gain, my disclaimer is this was not me and this is what this guy says. I do not know this to be fact. I am in no way trying to influence anyone here nor am I flaming vinci. I am simply stating what I was told.
you must be refering to the orange TA. vinci has been requested to be on their behalf over the original shop that did work on it.
here's a pic of that car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
How can i contact the shop in orlando? also, can i order the supercharger and other part throught the shop there? Im in jax and i plan on supercharging my 02 z06 :guiness: but cant seam to find any good shops here in jax, i really dont want a crapy install when im spending a boat load of money on a mod, i have no problem paying top dollar for good work. :thumb: Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts