Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been an increasing number of complaints and statements regarding dissapointing and lower than expected RWHP Dyno results.

I have been doing a little research and it may be the gas!

Many states have mandated RFP gas and others have mandated 10% Ethanol (E10 Gas) and some in the near future (Minn.) will require E20.

There are 2 problems with E10 in regards to Tuning and Dyno results.

1. The Stoichiometric value for tuning with E10 is 14.1:1 rather than 14.7:1 for 100% Gasoline. So if you are running E10 in a car tuned for 100% gasoline you are already running 3% Lean. You should retune and then reDyno to get accurate results.

2. You loose 4% HP by running E10 vs. 100% Gasoline.
So at 400 HP.....bye bye 16 HP.
The C6Z06 will loose 20.2 HP.
Just think what E20 will do.

The farmers/AGRO/EPA conspiracy extolls a possible gain in milage using Ethanol.
Well DAH !!....if I'm making less power I might just get an increase in milage....Thanks a lot....not quite what I am paying $70,000 for...If I wanted better milage I would have bought a Prius.

Check your gas when tuning and Dynoing.

·
Registered
808 Posts
DJWorm said:
There have been an increasing number of complaints and statements regarding dissapointing and lower than expected RWHP Dyno results.

I have been doing a little research and it may be the gas!

Many states have mandated RFP gas and others have mandated 10% Ethanol (E10 Gas) and some in the near future (Minn.) will require E20.

There are 2 problems with E10 in regards to Tuning and Dyno results.

1. The Stoichiometric value for tuning with E10 is 14.1:1 rather than 14.7:1 for 100% Gasoline. So if you are running E10 in a car tuned for 100% gasoline you are already running 3% Lean. You should retune and then reDyno to get accurate results.

2. You loose 4% HP by running E10 vs. 100% Gasoline.
So at 400 HP.....bye bye 16 HP.
The C6Z06 will loose 20.2 HP.
Just think what E20 will do.

The farmers/AGRO/EPA conspiracy extolls a possible gain in milage using Ethanol.
Well DAH !!....if I'm making less power I might just get an increase in milage....Thanks a lot....not quite what I am paying $70,000 for...If I wanted better milage I would have bought a Prius.

DJWorm,

Is the following true?
Given that ethanol blend gas is 97% energy efficient as compared to regular gasoline, would a higher octane ethanol gas be equal in energy to a lower octane regular gasoline? In other words, would a 94 octane E10 be the same in energy content as 91 octane (regular) premium gasoline??? Therefore, is it possible to make up the energy loss of ethanol by using a higher octane E10?

-RR

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
NO.

Octane does NOT effect HP nor can it increase the amount of inheirent energy contained in a fuel.

What is lost with blended ethanol fuels is lost and cannot be regained. Ie the Stoichiometric value is the same no matter what the octane rating is.

A higher octane fuel may prevent additional HP losses by preventing knock and delaying the PCM from pulling timing and thus reducing HP even further.

Ethanol is almost a double whammy against performance.

Likewise using a higher octane race fuel will not increase HP per say but will delay the PCM pulling timing under hot racing conditions.

However some racing fuels DO have other attributes which also increase HP.
- use a double refining process
- have a specific race additive package
- are sometimes oxygenated which increases 02 content, increases BTU's, increases burn efficiency, speed and flame front.

(This process is different than the reformulated gas oxygenation process which reduces HP).

This is why using an octane booster with regular pump gas is not really a substitute for race gas.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
DJ --- please clear your PM box --- or shoot me a PM pls.

DJWorm said:
DJ ... sent a PM on an AMSOIL question and got told your box was full. :ity:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts