Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Tuning Question 420RWHP?

5K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  Morzoff 
#1 · (Edited)
I had my car dyno'd with a K&N and it Dyno'd 369RWHP with a stock tune.

My question is it possiable to gain 50RWHP with a set of Supermaxx Long tubes, X-pipe and high flow cats. I had a custom tune done with HP Tuners see graphs below.
The first graph is on a Dyno jet the second was on a Dyno-pack. ( Where they remove your tires and hook to the axles).

I am told that the Dnyo-pack is the most accurate, compared to the Mustang, Dyno jets.

Do I really have 420RWHP?

Dyno-Jet

Custom tune on the Dyno-pack page 1

Page 2

Page 3

See less See more
#3 ·
Bandz7 said:
It says on the top of your last two sheets "flywheel power graph". That doesn't sound right though b/c 420 hp??? With those mods you're pushing much more than that.

I saw that and asked the tuner he said that the Dyno-pack only measures at the rear wheels, it can't measure at the flywheel. :ity:

#4 ·
There is no rolling resistance...I wouldn't go by the dyno pack numbers. :cheers:

#5 ·
case2307 said:
There is no rolling resistance...I wouldn't go by the dyno pack numbers. :cheers:
Case,
I was told that because there was "NO" rolling resistance the Dyno-pack numbers are more accurate? I was also told that rolling resistance decreases your RWHP by 3RWHP-8RWHP?

Does that mean I have 412RWHP-417RWHP?

I guess my question is can you get 51RWHP from the Long tube set-up and a good tune(HP-TUNERS Software?) :ity:

:cheers:
Mike

#6 · (Edited)
Morzoff said:
Case,
I was told that because there was "NO" rolling resistance the Dyno-pack numbers are more accurate? I was also told that rolling resistance decreases your RWHP by 3RWHP-8RWHP?

Does that mean I have 412RWHP-417RWHP?

I guess my question is can you get 51RWHP from the Long tube set-up and a good tune(HP-TUNERS Software?) :ity:

Mike
Mike,

From what I know...(isn't much) I can't see getting 51 rwhp from a set of headers and a tune. Not without a cam and other bolt on mods. :cheers:

#8 ·
600hpIsntEnough said:
Andy got 70rwhp outta kooks and a tune. so its possible. Like I said before MO Great numbers! :thumb:

No...you can't get 70 rwhp out of a set of headers and a tune....not on our cars. Think about it...doesn't make sense. :thumb:

#10 ·
Headers are good for about twenty HP at the wheels at the most. There is no way that a stock car with a tune and headers picked up 70 rwhp. A mag blower car only picks up 100-150 hp on a stock bottom end Z06.

#12 ·
case2307 said:
Mike,

From what I know...(isn't much) I can't see getting 51 rwhp from a set of headers and a tune. Not without a cam and other bolt on mods. :cheers:
Case,
I was thinking that I got 35RWHP from the header set-up and 15 RWHP from the tune, if you break it down like that it does seen do-able :ity:

MO

P.S. Either way I know it is a "LOT" faster :jammin:
Thanks for the Supermaxx kit :thumb:

#13 · (Edited)
Mike,

I'm telling you how it is...you're car is NOT making 400 hp at the wheels. Take it to the track and let me know how it does. It's gonna run mid 12's @ 114 or something close...with you driving on street tires. :yeadog:

xxxeditxxx

No problem on the header sale... I'm just happy you are happy...also...I'm still gonna send you some shirts from MTI.

#15 ·
Im having a hard time understanding these numbers. So with a stock Z06 (other than a K&N) your getting 369rwhp? And with nothing more than a tune, you got 420 rwhp? And your asking if adding headers and a tune, still to a pretty much stock Z06, will give you 500 rwhp? If these numbers are correct, you have a freakishly strong Z06. An est. 90% of Z's that have an intake, headers, high flow cats or no cats, catback system, and dyno tune get 380-390 rwhp. But if your numbers are correct.....congratulations and I'm jealous. :p

#16 ·
spdrcrj said:
Im having a hard time understanding these numbers. So with a stock Z06 (other than a K&N) your getting 369rwhp? And with nothing more than a tune, you got 420 rwhp? And your asking if adding headers and a tune, still to a pretty much stock Z06, will give you 500 rwhp? If these numbers are correct, you have a freakishly strong Z06. An est. 90% of Z's that have an intake, headers, high flow cats or no cats, catback system, and dyno tune get 380-390 rwhp. But if your numbers are correct.....congratulations and I'm jealous. :p
spdrcrj,
That is correct I dyno'd 369rwhp with a K&N, on a
Dyno-jet.
Then I installed long tubes, X-pipe and cat's and also got a custom tune and that pushed me to 420rwhp on a Dyno-pack.

I do have a strong Z, I'm just wondering is it possible to get
51rwhp from LT's and a tune?????? :screwy:

#17 ·
Those numbers are correct. They are actuall torque readings to your axles. What happens when you put a set od tires on is different for everyone. One person could have wide tires and will dyno less than the other guy who has skinny tires. It has to do with tire drag. Our Shop Z06 does 465hp with cam and long tubes only. But the numbers are right because the car runs 11.5 @ 123MPH. When you use the 1/4 calculators, they will tell you for the weight and power, that would be his 1/4 mile time.

The dyno pack may seem alittle higher than most dynos, but I never bought it for the numbers. I didnt even know how the numbers would turn out. I bought it for the tuning part of it. Its a much better tuning tool to use because I can tune every RPM and full load, hit every timing Cell in the table, adjust the VE table because I can hold that Cell. And because I put the Wideband in the correct spot which is up by the motor, I can grab more power with this dyno because I can be more accurate with it.

I have tuned on every dyno out there, and I was picking up another 30plus HP from my older tunes on roller dynos because I can measure HP and TQ in every RPM and a steady load. With this I can actually keep adding timing in each RPM and the Dyno will show me if I make more or not, then I move on to the next Cell or RPM. You would be surprised what you can gain with correct tunning. Hope this helps.

Rick

#19 · (Edited)
Synergy Motorsp said:
Those numbers are correct. They are actuall torque readings to your axles. What happens when you put a set od tires on is different for everyone. One person could have wide tires and will dyno less than the other guy who has skinny tires. It has to do with tire drag. Our Shop Z06 does 465hp with cam and long tubes only. But the numbers are right because the car runs 11.5 @ 123MPH. When you use the 1/4 calculators, they will tell you for the weight and power, that would be his 1/4 mile time.

The dyno pack may seem alittle higher than most dynos, but I never bought it for the numbers. I didnt even know how the numbers would turn out. I bought it for the tuning part of it. Its a much better tuning tool to use because I can tune every RPM and full load, hit every timing Cell in the table, adjust the VE table because I can hold that Cell. And because I put the Wideband in the correct spot which is up by the motor, I can grab more power with this dyno because I can be more accurate with it.

I have tuned on every dyno out there, and I was picking up another 30plus HP from my older tunes on roller dynos because I can measure HP and TQ in every RPM and a steady load. With this I can actually keep adding timing in each RPM and the Dyno will show me if I make more or not, then I move on to the next Cell or RPM. You would be surprised what you can gain with correct tunning. Hope this helps.

Rick
Rick,
Thank you for the clarification :D
Now can I change my sig? :lol:

P.S. Rick, I fixed the cut-outs and mounted the switch and LCD, so I won't be needing the lift.
I'll stop by next week
Mike

#20 ·
Mike, congrats, but youve added a variable into the equation by switching dynos.

If you want to confirm what kind of power you have GAINED, then I would say a pull at Nicks would be in order.

Dynos are a great tool, and highly useful, but you should really be looking to see what you have picked up, and not what you are putting down total. Naturally, nothing offensive meant by it to Rick at synergy (who, btw, Ive heard runs a great shop), but you will get a true idea of what youve picked up by putting the car back on the rollers where you got your baseline. I would take the numbers with a heavy dose of salt, because not only did you switch dynos, but the dynos themselves are two different kinds. THats wayyyy to much variability.

Take it to Nicks. See what it puts down there. (And yeah, i agree with Case, 51rwhp from headers and a tune.........maybe if it was a 427! :D).

Cheers.
Oz

#21 ·
Pakisho said:
Mike, congrats, but youve added a variable into the equation by switching dynos.

If you want to confirm what kind of power you have GAINED, then I would say a pull at Nicks would be in order.

Dynos are a great tool, and highly useful, but you should really be looking to see what you have picked up, and not what you are putting down total. Naturally, nothing offensive meant by it to Rick at synergy (who, btw, Ive heard runs a great shop), but you will get a true idea of what youve picked up by putting the car back on the rollers where you got your baseline. I would take the numbers with a heavy dose of salt, because not only did you switch dynos, but the dynos themselves are two different kinds. THats wayyyy to much variability.

Take it to Nicks. See what it puts down there. (And yeah, i agree with Case, 51rwhp from headers and a tune.........maybe if it was a 427! :D).

Cheers.
Oz
Yes, very true. The biggest downfall here was the switching of dynos to show the comparison. You just have to go by what feels better to you. A dyno should be used as a tool, and nothing else. Its nice to measure HP, but I use it to gain the best drivability I can out of cars and power as well.

Rick

#22 ·
Synergy Motorsp said:
Yes, very true. The biggest downfall here was the switching of dynos to show the comparison. You just have to go by what feels better to you. A dyno should be used as a tool, and nothing else. Its nice to measure HP, but I use it to gain the best provability I can out of cars and power as well.

Rick
Rick,
I agree that numbers are just that "numbers" :ity: They don't tell the whole story.

I do know that the car is a completely different car, it is faster, smoother etc..

I can feel the difference in every gear :coo:

Thanks for the tune :D

See Ya,
MO

#23 ·
Morzoff said:
spdrcrj,
That is correct I dyno'd 369rwhp with a K&N, on a
Dyno-jet.
Then I installed long tubes, X-pipe and cat's and also got a custom tune and that pushed me to 420rwhp on a Dyno-pack.

I do have a strong Z, I'm just wondering is it possible to get
51rwhp from LT's and a tune?????? :screwy:
It must be that light air in Kaliforniaa...you're not going to pick up 51 rwhp with just LT's and a tune in the Midwest!? :screwy: :bs: More power to you! :thumb: That's not a pun.

Bob :D

#24 ·
Most Z06's with an intake, headers and a tune will put out somewhere in the 380-400 rwhp range depending on the headers and type of intake. If you add a cam, that usually puts you up to about 420 rwhp. If you add heads, that will get you somewhere in the 450 rwhp range.

Of course, YMMV. Some cars are stronger and some aren't as strong as average. I doubt that it has anything to do with atmospheric pressure because the dyno compensates for this. Do you know if the dyno that you're using generally puts out big numbers? It could be dyno error.

Sal

#25 ·
salvador said:
Most Z06's with an intake, headers and a tune will put out somewhere in the 380-400 rwhp range depending on the headers and type of intake. If you add a cam, that usually puts you up to about 420 rwhp. If you add heads, that will get you somewhere in the 450 rwhp range.

Of course, YMMV. Some cars are stronger and some aren't as strong as average. I doubt that it has anything to do with atmospheric pressure because the dyno compensates for this. Do you know if the dyno that you're using generally puts out big numbers? It could be dyno error.

Sal

Sal,
I installed the K&N cold air intake, Supermaxx long tubes, cat's and x-pipe, and SVO 30#injectors.
The Dnyo is good :thumb: It is brand new from Dnyo-pack. I do not think that it is Dyno error. There shop Z put down 465 and the only difference is it has a "big cam" :ity:

I know the car feels like it has a 50rwhp gain

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.