I do not recommend a 160 degree TStat unless it is a full race only dedicated car.
A 178 - 180 degree TStat has proven usefull on dual use cars that see track and street use.
A lower degree TStat opens up sooner and may help lower temps if other mods are done as well. NOTE OEM TStats can be modified to open at a lower temp (see below).
If using a lower than OEM TStat you must also
- reprogram the fans to come on sooner.
Other mods you can do to cooling system
- Modify OEM TStat wax motor to open earlier.
- Blueprint TStat
- Use a 30/70 coolant to distilled water ratio instead of the OEM 50/50
- Use a waterless racing coolant
- Use Red Line Water Wetter
- Run A/C on Recirc mode while in stop & go traffic, on grid or idling in the pits
- Blueprint Water Pump