Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always seem to be working underneath the car, checking on things, doing oil changes etc. I have a small wooden ramp to drive on to lift the car high enough to get the jack under it. The way I lift the car is by doing it one side at a time.

My question is, will this twist, or bend the chassis? If I lift from the front Drivers, the rear drivers also lifts in the air, but is this bad for the car. Should I be lifting it evenly. I dont want the chassis to flex so much that it may cause permanent damage and cause rattles in the future. I dont have a lift and its not and option to get one.

Just wondering your thoughts.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
It is always better to lift it evenly. However, your car is designed to take a certain amount of flex as it drives down the road. Before I got a lift, I always jacked my cars up from one side. However, please make sure you use jack stands and do not rely solely on the jack.

I hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I do the same thing you do to jack my car up. I always unlatch both doors, the hood, and rear decklid. That's just a carry over habit from my old C4 though.

·
Registered
581 Posts
spdrcrj said:
I do the same thing you do to jack my car up. I always unlatch both doors, the hood, and rear decklid. That's just a carry over habit from my old C4 though.
Wouldn't you leave them latched for added strength reducing the twist?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
DavidNJ said:
Wouldn't you leave them latched for added strength reducing the twist?

I used to open the doors and hatch on my C4. I had one of the mechanics at Corvettes of Dallas suggest that years ago and he did it as well.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts