Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through some documents this past weekend and ran across the Bill of Sale from Phoenix Performance for my T1 Corvette race car. I took delivery of the car two years ago this week, drove it in my second SCCA drivers school, then handed it over to Reed Kryder as he qualified for the 2003 Run Offs.

Since then I drove it in one Regional weekend at the end of October 2003, then started my National "career" in April of 2004. Man, have things happened fast! I am just now starting to find out how much I really need to learn to be good at this endeavor.

My qualifying has been fairly good, but I seem to make ill-timed mistakes, though these mistakes are getting smaller and less frequent. This year, my second in T1, I have qualified:

Memphis 2nd of 4, (3rd place finish)
Summit Point 3rd of 10 (DNF 10th)
Gateway 2nd of 4 (DNF 4th)
Nelson Ledges 5th of 7 (6th)
Lime Rock Park 5th of 8 (3rd place finish)
Beaverun 3rd of 8, (4th)
Watkins Glen 4th of 16 (6th place finish)

I am getting there, but still have a long way to go. But man, has this been fun. I can't wait for my next race: Pocono on August 5th thru 7th.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Time flies huh? The great thing is that you're improving, that's all anyone can ask. Consider yourself lucky that you get those size fields to run against - it's a consistent barometer. Out west here all we get is 4 cars max - 3 of them are SBW and crew. I'm running against track records sometimes..(not that I'm breaking many) I won't see a large field until the Runoffs. Talk about a change of pace...
Watching my own race tapes is sometimes painful but my mistakes are decreasing as well.
-CJ

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CJ: now I know who you are!

I read some of SBW's posts and he mentioned you.

Are you coming to the Run Offs? I "have" to with Mid Ohio less than 2 hours away. Even next year's Topeka deal won't keep me away.

It was kinda cool running with Scotty last weekend. The Viper either losses power dramatically once it gets to a certain speed, or he is rather adept at feathering the throttle. I guess we will all know come September.

I was disappointed Cindi did run at The Glen. She seems to be good people...she has "kind eyes" (if you know what I mean).

·
Registered
49 Posts
You will see a boat load at the runoffs. You should try to come out to the National before the Runoffs. I think we had 14 T1 cars last year. We should have 30 plus cars at the runoffs. It would be great to see 40.

·
Registered
656 Posts
David,

I remember when you first got your T1 car and your having Reed Kryder driving at the Runoffs. At first, I didn't understand why you were so excited having someone else drive your car. You explained that it was like being a proud papa to see your car do well. (At least, I think that is what you said.)

Yes, you have come a long way since then. In hearing you talk, and in seeing first hand part of your race weekends, you have made a lot of close personal friends.

Keep up the great work.

Dan

·
Registered
61 Posts
David
Yes I'm coming to the Runoffs and hopefully the preceeding national as well. My car was a little down on power against the Vipers - I couldn't pull them much except at the end of the long straights.Should be better soon - the engine's being done now.See you at the Runoffs.
-CJ

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you have made a lot of close personal friends.
I have met some great people, many who have become friends, some who have become very close friends.

In fact, I really don't know of more than a "handful" that I can say I haven't liked their company; the vast majority are really neat people. Even those who I disagree or clash with, more often than not I look at the "big picture" and realize they are pretty cool people.

The driving part? Well, I am making progress, slow progress, but progress never-the-less. I'll "get there" one of these days, I just am not picking it up as quickly as some others.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Time sure does fly, doesn't it. Just seems like yesterday we were talking about you're getting into T1, now I'm living vicariously through you. :lol:

Good luck on the rest of your season. Love reading about all your boring races. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts