Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an ancient thread....

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19718

I'm posting this for the benfit of anyone who wants to compare a stock Z06 to a modded Cobra from the other side of the fence.

TxTerminator you're from LaPorte this could be pretty easy, I'm in Baytown. If you want to try a stock Z06 from a dig, let me know. That is something I can certainly set up...

If you want to bring a camera, feel free. So that we don't get more threads locked, stop by ls1tech and we can discuss any particulars. If you want to discuss it on another forum, let me know which one. I'm also a member of svtperformance.

The car in question in this thread I posted a link to was Curtis' car. At the time with a pulley, headers, and a off road exhaust it made 455-461. I'm sure if you are from LaPorte, and you've hung out on the South side for any period of time, you know exactly who Curtis is.

If you want to make a trip to HRP (so we can discuss it here), I live 5 minutes from the track. I can be there any night you want. Please keep in mind the following.

When that thread was posted '03 were still quite hard to get, and folks were still paying over invoice Curtis paid +$5K over sticker for his car which made it very close to my car in terms of sticker price. I know they are now much cheaper and the delta is much different.

I know that the Cobra mods (what works and what doesn't) have gotten much better and much more refined, and that a Cobra is an EXTREMELY good platfrom that responds very well to mods.

Look, if a Cobra is at 450-460 RWHP then its a pretty close match for a basically stock Z06. Its all a matter of pretty simple math. It comes down to drivers at that point. I don't think anyone disagrees that with a couple of simple bolt ons a Cobra is a VERY strong car.

So, I think we can all agree that its going to take ~60 HP based on lbs per HP for a Cobra to beat a Z06. Once you're close to that mark, then its simply a driver's race.

So, how about we just agree to all enjoy our cars, and if we get the chance maybe we can show up somewhere and give them a go....

Look, most folks on this site are enthusiasts. We like cars period. There is no need to do a bunch of pot stirring. I think most folks are smart enough to know what different cars are capable of. Anyhow, I'm like a lot of other folks I don't disagree that a stock Z06 should loose to a 512RWHP car...

If you're making 512RWHP, you're going to need a Z06 with about 420RWHP to hang with it. So, that leaves you a car with bolt ons, or a cam only car.... Or a stock Z06 with AFR heads... Just like your statement, all pretty simple mods. The chapest is a cam only, and is probably less that the mods you listed for the 512RWHP car....

Anyhow, comparing mod for mod is pointless IMHO. When you get past stock, the only person who really wins is the guy selling you your parts. You can go as fast as your wallet will allow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will send you a pm, FYI This Sunday from 12 Thur 4pm, I will be at the Hooters on I-45 and NASA Road 1 for their car show, bring / enter the Z and grab some wings.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We could all meet out at HRP Sat night. I think Midnight madness is this weekend. All times are shown!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sounds like I need to move to TX to get runs like this...good stuff.

BTW - J-Rod you math is pretty close - when I was headers and V-ram only w/out tune (Dyno was 370/370) I pulled 2 cars on a 480 rwhp Cobra vert w/ drag radials...this was 3/4 shift and above 100...drag certainly came into play.

·
Registered
91 Posts
J-Rod said:
Look, if a Cobra is at 450-460 RWHP then its a pretty close match for a basically stock Z06. Its all a matter of pretty simple math. It comes down to drivers at that point. I don't think anyone disagrees that with a couple of simple bolt ons a Cobra is a VERY strong car.

So, I think we can all agree that its going to take ~60 HP based on lbs per HP for a Cobra to beat a Z06. Once you're close to that mark, then its simply a driver's race.
With that statement, you are saying that a stock Z has 390-400rwhp stock?

I recently sold my 03' bolt on Cobra that had 450rwhp, and now drive a bolt on 01' Z (LT headers, catback, intake, bridge). It sure feels like my Cobra would currently had my ass on a platter. I will be doing something about that over the winter though.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
J-Rod said:
This is an ancient thread....

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19718

I'm posting this for the benfit of anyone who wants to compare a stock Z06 to a modded Cobra from the other side of the fence.

TxTerminator you're from LaPorte this could be pretty easy, I'm in Baytown. If you want to try a stock Z06 from a dig, let me know. That is something I can certainly set up...

If you want to bring a camera, feel free. So that we don't get more threads locked, stop by ls1tech and we can discuss any particulars. If you want to discuss it on another forum, let me know which one. I'm also a member of svtperformance.

The car in question in this thread I posted a link to was Curtis' car. At the time with a pulley, headers, and a off road exhaust it made 455-461. I'm sure if you are from LaPorte, and you've hung out on the South side for any period of time, you know exactly who Curtis is.

If you want to make a trip to HRP (so we can discuss it here), I live 5 minutes from the track. I can be there any night you want. Please keep in mind the following.

When that thread was posted '03 were still quite hard to get, and folks were still paying over invoice Curtis paid +$5K over sticker for his car which made it very close to my car in terms of sticker price. I know they are now much cheaper and the delta is much different.

I know that the Cobra mods (what works and what doesn't) have gotten much better and much more refined, and that a Cobra is an EXTREMELY good platfrom that responds very well to mods.

So, how about we just agree to all enjoy our cars, and if we get the chance maybe we can show up somewhere and give them a go....

Look, most folks on this site are enthusiasts. We like cars period. There is no need to do a bunch of pot stirring. I think most folks are smart enough to know what different cars are capable of. Anyhow, I'm like a lot of other folks I don't disagree that a stock Z06 should loose to a 512RWHP car...

If you're making 512RWHP, you're going to need a Z06 with about 420RWHP to hang with it. So, that leaves you a car with bolt ons, or a cam only car.... Or a stock Z06 with AFR heads... Just like your statement, all pretty simple mods. The chapest is a cam only, and is probably less that the mods you listed for the 512RWHP car....

Anyhow, comparing mod for mod is pointless IMHO. When you get past stock, the only person who really wins is the guy selling you your parts. You can go as fast as your wallet will allow.
I agree and think that j rod is even being a little conservative. But driver capability is the big unknown. Thats why I posted that on the TRACK it has been my experience that most Cobra's need 75-100rwhp to be a close race with my car. Keeping in mind that the Vette has the advantage on the launch assuming equal tires.(especially with et streets). That's without powershifting on my end. I'm sure on the street from a roll its a different story.
Despite the disagreements, I'm glad to see how this issue was handled by the members. I sent the guy a pm also.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to be in the middle of pouring a driveway this saturday provided we don't get rained out, but if I can get away for any reason I will see you at the gtg at Hooters...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts