Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in these forums all the time about polished wheels. It seems everyone LOVES them, and I even saw a poll where most people picked that as their favorite feature.

I have NEVER liked chrome wheels, I think they clash very badly. About the only colors that even look "acceptable" to me are black and red. Personaly, I think they look the WORST on white and blue. I also simply think they just look cheap. Not to mention, it's very hard to keep them clean...unless they're absolutely spotless, they always look much dirtier when you are close than regular aluminum and alloy wheels look

Anyway, I am ordering a LeMans Blue Z06, and after reading all of these forums started to second guess my decision on not going with polished wheels. I went to the car lot yesterday, as they have a LeMans C6 and it had the polished wheels on it. The only color on the lot that did NOT have the polished wheels was the Daytona Sunset Orange. I must say, after checking these cars out, I am DEFINITELY not getting the polished wheels. It's not even a close comparison for me, I just think polished and chrome wheels clash so badly. I see the car, and then I see the wheels.....it's like I'm looking at two different things. The regular painted wheels, to me, just look like they "go with" the car. They "blend in" better, and aren't such an eyesore.

I was curious if there's anyone else who shares this opinion with me, since the polished/chrome wheels seem so popular with most everyone.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Lankhoss said:
I read in these forums all the time about polished wheels. It seems everyone LOVES them, and I even saw a poll where most people picked that as their favorite feature.

I have NEVER liked chrome wheels, I think they clash very badly. About the only colors that even look "acceptable" to me are black and red. Personaly, I think they look the WORST on white and blue. I also simply think they just look cheap. Not to mention, it's very hard to keep them clean...unless they're absolutely spotless, they always look much dirtier when you are close than regular aluminum and alloy wheels look

Anyway, I am ordering a LeMans Blue Z06, and after reading all of these forums started to second guess my decision on not going with polished wheels. I went to the car lot yesterday, as they have a LeMans C6 and it had the polished wheels on it. The only color on the lot that did NOT have the polished wheels was the Daytona Sunset Orange. I must say, after checking these cars out, I am DEFINITELY not getting the polished wheels. It's not even a close comparison for me, I just think polished and chrome wheels clash so badly. I see the car, and then I see the wheels.....it's like I'm looking at two different things. The regular painted wheels, to me, just look like they "go with" the car. They "blend in" better, and aren't such an eyesore.

I was curious if there's anyone else who shares this opinion with me, since the polished/chrome wheels seem so popular with most everyone.

I'm 180 out from you. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Pick the style you like best. :z:

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
Some like Blondes, some brunettes, some bald!!
That is why they have have choices!!

Your personal preferences have been noted. :cheers:

Ken

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That picture looks way better than they look in real life.

If I were to go off of that picture, alone....I'd like them quite a bit as well.

In real life, they clash so much more. (It's also quite possible it only looks good when the car is completely professionally detailed)

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I like chocolate and vanilla swirls! As for my women, I like them swirled too. LOL

Btw, that IS my car and I drive it and see it in person every day. :lol:

·
Registered
487 Posts
IMO the wheels finish are supposed to "clash" as they are a main focal point on the car. This is why many people put black rims on different colors then just black. A bigger factor is style of the wheel. It should flow with the car. A "clash" in style will kill the look of the whole car very quickly.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
:coo: :coo: I like polished over chrome and I have chrome on my car. I like the softness of the shine of polished wheels. Chrome just jumps at you for some reason to me. Painted wheels look nice on some cars too so you have a choice.

D.J.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Lankhoss,
I sort of agree with you. Although I don't think any color looks bad with polished wheels, some looks better with painted. Torch red seems to adapt very well to any wheel, but especially chrome or polished. I prefer the stock painted or darker on black Z's. But my dad always ask when I'm going to put some chrome wheels on mine. So it's obviously one of those things where everyone's taste vary. But I have yet to see a set here that caused me to think Eewww! :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
I want to get a Machine Silver with these wheels...

ETA: NO lettering on the wheels and NOT those tires! :eek:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
There were a LOT of Q/C issues on lots of the first C6 polished wheels. Do a search on the C6 forum on CF.
They look good from 25 feet but that's about it, unless they are doing a MUCh better job at it now.

What's the option cost on the C6 like a grand?

·
Registered
711 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
:coo: :coo: I like polished over chrome and I have chrome on my car. I like the softness of the shine of polished wheels. Chrome just jumps at you for some reason to me. Painted wheels look nice on some cars too so you have a choice.

D.J.
I agree. A friend of mine polishes aluminum and stainless. Mostly street bike stuff, but he is doing my rims for my 88 cutlass right now. Polished is a lot more sedated and natural looking than chrome.
My opinion of course.

Kingpin

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First off, Norman......that car is BEAUTIFUL!! I thought that when I saw the pic, but thought it was a "model car" and didn't realize it was your personal one.

Anyway, I came to a conclusion today. The only time I ever think polished or chrome wheels look good are when A) A car is incredibly clean to the point that the paint is literally glimmering in the sun. Then the wheels seem to "match" and accentuate the car at the same time. And B) Chrome looks great at night. It's very shiny, without being all reflective and gawdy.

I will keep my car in very good shape, but I doubt it will look like it's in car show condition 100% of the time. I'm really torn with this decision. I have never liked chrome, and have never wanted to put anything on a car of mine that would be "show off" (ok, the exhaust I put on my first Corvette did a little I suppose), but it seems in certain situations the polished may actually look better than standard painted. But, EVERY polished wheel I've seen on a C6 has absolutely no appeal to me, and I really like the look of the painted wheel.

Ugh, decisions decisions. Hopefully I will get to see both on a car when I finally order mine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an 02 mil yellow z06 and put polished alum Hickock Sprint wheels on 2 years ago. Beautiful as they are, it just always looked over the top to me. I recently powder coated my stock rims semi gloss black. The car now looks old school nasty to me. It may not be any faster this week, but it sure looks it. Old School Baby, Old School. With all the mods I did I've got plenty of go, I just reduced the show.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Until this last week, was debating whether to order my Z06 with the polished wheels or painted ones. I even contacted GM and confirmed that they will NOT be offering a factory chrome wheel for the Z06. Then went to my local dealer and closely examined the "highly polished" wheels on a brand new C6 convertible (one that had just arrived at the dealer). Every wheel has large "cloudy" sections; not one is uniformly and properly polished. Then saw two more C6's around town, one at a car show, other one parked on the street, with polished wheels. Same thing, same crummy wheel polishing jobs on both.

Even though it will be a coordination issue to exchange my painted wheels with an aftermarket company, change/replace tires, freighting and waiting, etc., I will save my $1295 by not ordering the highly polished wheels, use that money to buy/exchange for chromed GM wheels (and I estimate still save over $100 in the process).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I prefer painted wheels to polished wheels and do not like chrome wheels at all. Personal taste. Having refinished several sets of 911 wheels, though, if you do not think the polished wheels are worth the money or well done, order the painted wheels and have them polished at a machine shop. They can polish them for a lot less than $1295 or whatever the going rate is for the factory option. After paint removal and polishing, they just need to be clear coated to prevent oxidation. Yes, you will have to demount the wheels, but if they and the tires are marked, you should be able to remount without rebalancing. I bought a set of wheels for a 911 from a racing team once, but they were painted blue. I removed the blue paint, polished the wheels using a cotton wheel and buffing compound, and repainted the old style 911 details myself. Corvette wheels should be even easier, since no painting will be required. One of the wheel restoration shops advertising in Autoweek could do the whole job for you, if you liked, and their work is superb and they have all the right clear coatings available.

Terry Phillips
Taz

·
Registered
79 Posts
Lankhoss said:
First off, Norman......that car is BEAUTIFUL!! I thought that when I saw the pic, but thought it was a "model car" and didn't realize it was your personal one.

Anyway, I came to a conclusion today. The only time I ever think polished or chrome wheels look good are when A) A car is incredibly clean to the point that the paint is literally glimmering in the sun. Then the wheels seem to "match" and accentuate the car at the same time. And B) Chrome looks great at night. It's very shiny, without being all reflective and gawdy.

I will keep my car in very good shape, but I doubt it will look like it's in car show condition 100% of the time. I'm really torn with this decision. I have never liked chrome, and have never wanted to put anything on a car of mine that would be "show off" (ok, the exhaust I put on my first Corvette did a little I suppose), but it seems in certain situations the polished may actually look better than standard painted. But, EVERY polished wheel I've seen on a C6 has absolutely no appeal to me, and I really like the look of the painted wheel.

Ugh, decisions decisions. Hopefully I will get to see both on a car when I finally order mine.
I'm not sure if the polished factory wheels come clear coated(?) but if they don't and you get them you must clean(polish with a good wheel polish) them at least every six months to keep them from pitting.Factory painted wheels are alot easier to deal with(all you have to do is wash them just like the car).I run polished wheels on two of my cars and you must keep on top of their polishing or lack of maint. WILL DESTROY their smooth finish.Chrome has to be reapplied once it degrades(lack of maint.) so i would'nt even consider chrome.Just my $.02.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts