Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right set of exhaust tips were at least 1/2" lower than the left set of tips. The dealer got them closer, to only about 1/4" difference. They said that that was within GM standards. It still looked like crap to me.

A couple people suggested using washers as spacers to lower the muffler to the ground. This is what I did.

These instructions will make more sense if you go look at the muffler clamp assembly first.

You will need:
1) 1/2 socket with extender (to reach the nut by the muffler)
2) 8, 5/16" stainless steel flat cut washers

Instructions:
1) Using the 1/2 socket, take off the two nuts that hold the muffler clamp to the bottom rear of the car. The muffler will hang down about 2 inches.
2) This is the tricky part. You need to stack 4 washers on top of the washer that is already on top of the rubber mount that used to be touching the bottom of the car. These washers will give a little less than 1/4" of spacing. I think that this still allows the nut to be threaded enough. If you put in to many washers (to lower it more), there will not be enough bolt to thread the nut on securely.
3) After the 8 washers are stacked on top of the muffler clamp, push the muffler back up to the bolts and screw the nuts back on.

I still think that my tips are off slightly but this brought them much closer so that most people will not notice any difference.

- Charley

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
Charley: Thanks for the post. Sounds like a bit of work? Hope this helps solve your problems. Let us know how this mod holds up under driving conditions. :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have about 3800 miles on my Z06 now and the exhaust tip fix seems to be holding up fine. I have attached a picture of the fix. It is a close up of the left exhaust bracket. This is the bracket that I lowered.

- Charley

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts