Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my 7th HPDE and the first on Hoosiers. I've also done the 3-day Panoz school at RA. Do you all have any tips for my first time out on sticky tires. Will this mess with AH... I usually run with comp mode on just as a safety net. Lastly what about the dreaded "ice mode" when the brakes stop working after very hard driving on sticky tires?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sticky tires have virtually nothing to do with brakes other than the fact that they can be used harder since the tires stick more. That is of course assuming you can use the new 'stick!!!!!' I've never had issues with brakes, AH or anything else relating to tires.

Best advice - turn the 'helper modes' off. AH or comp mode usually teach students very bad habits. A good driver can always beat the stock computer modes. Turn everything off and build your speed slowly. Keep with the basics: brake and shift in a straight line; slow in, fast out...be smooth. It's a Driver's EDUCATION event. Use it to teach the driver to be a better driver - not to let the car 'bail' him out or teach bad habits and wear out the brakes!!!!

As far as driving the Hoosiers. Don't slide the car around a lot. To get the fastest consistent lap times with the Hoosiers means using very slight slip angles. If you're dirt tracking the car around the corners, you'll be overusing the tires, the car and the driver. Drive smooth and keep the oversteer in check and you'll be fast. After you try those, then put on a set of the V710 Kumhos and go even faster...easier!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chris... I appreciate the post.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Derek... I haven't touched the brakes yet... I'm doing new pads, rotors, and VB&P HD rod ends all at once then getting her re-alligned.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I've driven on Hoosiers, Kumhos and Goodyears R compound tires with AH in Comp Mode and off dozens of times and had no problems either way.

Build up slowly on the Hoosiers. They won't talk to you as much as a street tire will.

If you do go with AH off as suggested by Chris, use your head. There are places on a track where you can afford to be aggressive, and there are places where you cannot afford to be aggressive. Don't be aggressive where a mistake can total your car. Be more aggressive where a mistake results in a spin into a big field. :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts