Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems most of the info here is a little dated on tire selection for the C5Z. The availability for the Z seems limited. I have narrowed my search down to the Nitto NT05's and looking for others that might be running these. I am open to other options. I don't drive in the rain or cold, just looking for a good performing tire with max traction. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Yes, you are correct, tire choices are limited for the C5 Z06. I live out in the heat (most of the time lol) and I run Nitto 555RII tires sized 275/40/17 and 305/35/18 (from Discount Tires - had to throw that in) on stock sized C5 Z06 wheels (black motorsports). Granted my car is not a daily driver but with a threadwear rating of 100, these tires have great traction and even perform decent in the rain (not that we get much here anyway). I usually get 7-8k mles out of them, but like I said, this is not my daily driver. With the stock F1's, the 1st to 2nd shift at redline had the ass-end all over the place, with the RII's, all I get is a "chirp" from the tires when they hook up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you are correct, tire choices are limited for the C5 Z06. I live out in the heat (most of the time lol) and I run Nitto 555RII tires sized 275/40/17 and 305/35/18 (from Discount Tires - had to throw that in) on stock sized C5 Z06 wheels (black motorsports). Granted my car is not a daily driver but with a threadwear rating of 100, these tires have great traction and even perform decent in the rain (not that we get much here anyway). I usually get 7-8k mles out of them, but like I said, this is not my daily driver. With the stock F1's, the 1st to 2nd shift at redline had the ass-end all over the place, with the RII's, all I get is a "chirp" from the tires when they hook up.
Thanks for your input Yuma! I have been talking with Discount Tires as they are a site sponsor and they will get my order when the time comes.

Are you having any issue with tire rub? Also this is not my daily driver so not really concerned about a high mileage tire.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Thanks for your input Yuma! I have been talking with Discount Tires as they are a site sponsor and they will get my order when the time comes.

Are you having any issue with tire rub? Also this is not my daily driver so not really concerned about a high mileage tire.
No tire rub what so ever. I believe the widest you can go on the rear using a 35/18 setup is 315 but you may have to remove the inner rear brake ducts to prevent rubbing. Also I wouldn't go any larger than the 305 on stock width wheels. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I ran NT05's 3 years ago on track and learned the hard way that you need to heat cycle the tires before track use. They are a great tire and stuck well on track! I now run NT01's (heat cycled) and they stick fantastic. I thought the NT05's had a tread wear of 200! The NT01's have a 100 tread wear. 275-35-18. I had to reteach the computer for thes sizes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No tire rub what so ever. I believe the widest you can go on the rear using a 35/18 setup is 315 but you may have to remove the inner rear brake ducts to prevent rubbing. Also I wouldn't go any larger than the 305 on stock width wheels. Hope this helps.
I thought long and hard about your set up. Right now I'm looking at the Nitto NT05's, similar to stock set up. Any inputs are welcomed, positive or negative!

We have a lot of curvy roads here MD and I'm not sure if the drag radial is the best choice. I do appreciate your input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran NT05's 3 years ago on track and learned the hard way that you need to heat cycle the tires before track use. They are a great tire and stuck well on track! I now run NT01's (heat cycled) and they stick fantastic. I thought the NT05's had a tread wear of 200! The NT01's have a 100 tread wear. 275-35-18. I had to reteach the computer for thes sizes.
Thanx for your input, Discount Tire offers to heat cycle the tires for $15.00 each. I'm so far out of touch on these new tires and appreciate your input!

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
I thought long and hard about your set up. Right now I'm looking at the Nitto NT05's, similar to stock set up. Any inputs are welcomed, positive or negative!

We have a lot of curvy roads here MD and I'm not sure if the drag radial is the best choice. I do appreciate your input.
The 555RII's are not drag radials, but road race tires. The 555R's are drag radials with a different sidewall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 555RII's are not drag radials, but road race tires. The 555R's are drag radials with a different sidewall.
555II's are no longer available, they are recommending NT01's in the same size. I'll do some research and read the reviews. I'm hoping for similar feed back as I received from your review.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
555II's are no longer available, they are recommending NT01's in the same size. I'll do some research and read the reviews. I'm hoping for similar feed back as I received from your review.
That sucks.....hmmmmm now I am going to have to figure what tires to go to when I need new ones. Just got mine last year and do not have many miles on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sucks.....hmmmmm now I am going to have to figure what tires to go to when I need new ones. Just got mine last year and do not have many miles on them.
No worries!:yeadog:

I will give you a review of NT01's, once I test them. According to DirectTires they are similar to the 555II. But they are on back order right now!

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
I was also looking at Toyo Proxes R888 in the sizes I run just to throw a monkey wrench in this discussion. :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I pulled the trigger on the NT01's with discount tires.

275/40-17 and 305/35-18

Hope I made a good choice and not looking for a high mileage tire. I will do a review once mounted and balanced.

Thanx Zuma for your advise. We ll be talking cold air intake soon.:yeadog:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts