Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good inexpensive source for these filters? The lowest I've found them is $6.95 each.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 oil filters..........with Mobil 1 5-30w oil. Great combination..........

·
Registered
882 Posts
With oil filters, ya get what you pay for. :yeadog:

I would go with the Amsoil or other high quality filter. I just wish they made them in chrome. :D

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I forgot to mention that I use a SUPER STRONG Magnet wrapped around the filter.........just in case. I know it dosen't help with aluminum engine parts.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would also recommend the AMSOIL filter as a much better solution. The mobile 1 filters are also a good choice if you need one fast.

The old UPF44 filters were fine in there time, but technology has vastly surpassed them.

Take a look at the $$$ you spent on your corvette, then decide if it's worth wasting all that money to save a few bucks on an oil filter.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Mobile 1 oil filters run around $10.00 each. I have no idea what the amsoil ones sell for............

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
WIX Here too, with Red Line Oil (but thats another debate :roll: :D )

The filter of Nascar I believe.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Resist said:
And how much are these improved oil filters going to cost me?
I think your only looking at $11 to $12 on average -- not alot. ;)

Amsoil even makes Harley filters in chrome that I have switched to. :crazy:

I also use a bottom magnet for grins, can't hurt! :D

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Yeah, my dumb old farmer dad taught me that oil was the cheapest maintenance... and we cleaned oil bath air filters daily in extreme dust and chaff conditions.
I've been using Synthetic oil for nearly 30 years and change oil and filter every 3500 - 4000 miles in all vehicles. Corvette is use-dependent, but not to exceed every 6 months or 3k miles.
Used K&N & Mobil 1 and will be getting Amsoil next.
FWIW...

·
Registered
806 Posts
I use K&N. Great brand and easy to use ie. tighten and loosen. :thumb:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was using the K&N filter with 5w30, but after visiting MTI racing here in Marietta, GA they told me otherwise. They have done testing on multiple filters and found that the Ac Delco PF46 flows better at higher rpms then the Mobil ! and the K&N filter. It also have very similiar cleaning characteristics as well. Reese, the owner of MTI racing, was a member of the C5R team. He came highly recommended to me, and while I was there I saw most all of their cars using this blue filter. Here is some more info about them...

http://www.mtiracing.com/about.html

I will be switching to the PF46 based on their recommendation. :thumb:

Just thought I might share that with you as it was news to me as well! :cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I used both the Mobil-1 and the UPF-44 filters. Both were too restrictive and I had a startup tick. Check out the oil filter study for more information on their flow rate. Best of the group was the Amsoil, but I went with the Baldwin because it was easier for me to get. No more startup tick by the way :thumb:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually all I want to use right now is what GM recommends for my car. I'm certainly not going to pay $10 per oil filter. Cheap insurance or not, if I use what GM put on my car I will be fine. I don't race the car so that isn't an issue.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
vettenuts said:
Best of the group was the Amsoil, but I went with the Baldwin because it was easier for me to get.
Appreciate the positive comments. :cheers:

As an FYI to all, you can get the AMSOIL SDF32 filter to your door about three days after you order it from AMSOIL. All it takes is one phone call.

AMSOIL Ordering Information

Preferred Customers save about 20-25%
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

·
Registered
88 Posts
Subdriver said:
Appreciate the positive comments. :cheers:

As an FYI to all, you can get the AMSOIL SDF32 filter to your door about three days after you order it from AMSOIL. All it takes is one phone call.

AMSOIL Ordering Information

Preferred Customers save about 20-25%
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program
That is some very interesting info on the AMSoil there. How often do you recommend changing the oil in the Z if using 10w30? I have not tracked the car, but would like to, and it would not be that often when I did. I do however drive the car hard everytime it hits the road, as well as many trips to the mtns for fun in the sun! :thumb: !

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
02BlackZ06 said:
That is some very interesting info on the AMSoil there. How often do you recommend changing the oil in the Z if using 10w30? I have not tracked the car, but would like to, and it would not be that often when I did. I do however drive the car hard everytime it hits the road, as well as many trips to the mtns for fun in the sun! :thumb: !
This is almost a personal decision. I certainly don't subscribe to the 3000 mile oil change anymore. Although AMSOIL SAE synthetic lubricants are rated and warrantied by AMSOIL for 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first, I personally fail a little conservative and recommend you follow the oil life indicator on the DIC (or one year). Depending on how you drive, this will be anywhere from 5000-10,000 miles.

My personal habit:
- Vette which only sees the track gets engine oil changes every two track weekends, and tranny and diff fluid changes every four track weekends using AMSOIL Series 2000 Motor Oils, AMSOIL ATF, and AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90.
- Wife's Chevy Trailblazer I follow the DIC using AMSOIL XL-7500 Synthetic 5w30. For her driving habits this works out to about 7,500 miles every six months.
- My F350 tow vehicle I run 15k miles or six months using Series 3000 Synthetic 5w30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts