Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPGRADE #1
starting with the vararam intake tonight. where it goes from here, i can't say... but i have a list of parts saved in my cart on line. i hope to list a few on the forum b4 i order to get some feedback and opinions. like the vararam, it had warnings about driving in the rain, but vararam, mid america and my buddy claim it will be no problem at all unless the scoops are actually submerged in water. and i am leaning toward the borla XR-1 race exhaust system, but a few folks have told me it is WAY too loud and the radio and cell phone will be useless inside the car. so i need some feedback from anybody that has it or has heard it in person.

i just dug out some tools, an old jack and went to get jackstands to replace all the ones i have loaned out and never seen again! this car looks like it will be a pain to lift and support properly without causing any damage. i do not have the c5 jack adaptor... i will have to try to jack it up and find a safe place to put each stand with some kind of block or pad to work underneath. all suggestions welcome b4 i tear it up. i have the feeling i will be poking and proding around trying to get ideas for other parts and make a 1 hour job take all night!
:bang:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thanks to the link on the main page http://www.z06vette.com/diy_lift.php
i can now lift the car without worry of tearing it up. i went and bought the wood, but now it is almost midnight, so i may wait till friday to do the work. does anyone have the borla xr-1 race exhaust or the bb bullet with an X pipe? i want to get an exhaust ordered soon...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, as i expected, i started looking for other things to do while it is up on the stands. i went and bought oil and a filter, some rust inhibitor and flat black paint for the front bumper rails (i have the skid plates on order) and i am cleaning all the hard to get to areas and trying to clean all the crap out of the radiator fins. they were/are full of leaves, grass and rocks... which is odd since i do not remember offroading! it seems like an abnormal amount of junk considering the mileage and driving conditions. i may need to check into one of those screens i saw in a catalog that are supposed to keep debris out of there... hopefully i will get this done today. i also drilled the 2 drain holes just slightly larger as they mentioned i could. they said going too big will hamper performance, so i only increased to 1/4 inch. all in all the system doesn't seem very well made and doesn't line up well. the driver's side ram tube cases a slight deformation to the front bumper when pulled over to mate with the v plate and join to the other ram tube... and they say to pressure test the system b4 putting all the other parts back on, but since i do not have an air compressor and i can see the system in not constructed well enough to be completely air tight, i will skip this test until i am at the shop and they can test it. I had the instructions with pics that came with the part as well as those printed from a site on line, but they could have been better, possibly offering ideas for correcting alignment issue without leaving an air gap someplace… looking at the set up, i still have my doubts about heavy rain getting into the motor driving on the highway. i may design a custom bypass system. when I finally get it all back together, it has to be driven on the highway for a while, and I will run a couple simulated (street) qtr mile passes… then they say the computer will have adjusted to the extra air flow and performance increases will be set. i will post any noticeable improvements as well as any water probs.

Hope to hear from a few folks on the exhaust, as I need to get that ordered next. Looking at the Borla XR-1 race system (loud)… or an X pipe with either a BB Bullet, Borla Stinger or SLP PowerFlo with the new tip that fills the gap. I want a deeper louder sound and increased flow (may do long tube headers and high flow cats later) but the one I am leaning towards (the xr-1) is said to be TOO loud. Yet I can’t find anyone that has one on their car now or tried one and ditched it to get their thoughts…

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, sounds like you're off to a great start on the upgrades.. I have a vararam in the garage ready to go, but just haven't found a couple hours to deal with the install as it sounds like it might not be the most tight fitting unit. In any event, you are going to run into many opinions about the exhaust. I have not heard the xr-1 system, but in my opinion, you should try to listen to a few.. add the GHL systems to your list as they rock, though I understand they may not be as loud as the BB bullets. I'm sure you will be thrilled with any of them as the Z with many of the aftermarkets will be happy to scare some car alarms!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just came in for a break, i keep finding more things to do. i sanded those frt rails and rust treated and undercoated them. it will prob have to be done again b4 my skid plates come in. b4 i reinstall the top rad cover and MAF, etc. i am going to try to roll it out into the driveway and blast all that crap out of the rad fins with the hose too.

i used k&n spray oil for the filter, i hope that is ok... it said any aftermaket air filter oil or motorcyle shop stuff, which i am out of...

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have the 2 tip B&B Bullets and love them! Just get a partition if you're worried about interior noise.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will82 said:
I have the 2 tip B&B Bullets and love them! Just get a partition if you're worried about interior noise.
i think i am starting to get the idea that the b&b must be pretty good. the mid amer rep told me it sounded the best and the borla xr1 was 2 loud, u like yours and a guy on the other corvette forum just mentioned he went with the LG long tube system and b&b bullet and loves it. he said people always say it sounds really good. i am trying to get that sound and tough idle WITHOUT ending up with a system like a mustang and trans am buddy of mine have... u can hear them coming from a mile away and if you are behind the car when they fire it up, your ears will bleed!

oh well, had to eat while the paint dried on the frt rails. gonna blast the leaves and crap outa the rad with the hose b4 i put it all back together.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
need exhaust solution

man, i thought i had decided to get the b&b bullet and lg or other long tube system... then i see some kind of bassani x pipe that is supposed to go all the way from the exhaust manifold to the muffler and eliminate the cats and stock H pipe... it is only about $300, and the mufflers run from only $291 for the (simple) borla straight pipes to about $750 for the (fancy) B&B PRT with speedway tips... i should have never looked at the PRT's... with those speedway tips they look good & the sound byte sounds good on line. if they function as the photo appears (the pipe goes in and out of the muffler/resonator yet ALSO appears to go straight past it) then that is probably the way to go. i am waiting to hear back from the company that says their long X pipe runs from frt to rear to see if it does indeed bolt to the stock manifold as well as headers. does anybody have a set of the PRT with speedway tips or know if that pipe in the pic actually does bypass the muffler as it appears? if i do not decide by monday i am going to end up ordering more than one and have to resell several on line or ebay!!!!!!!!!! waiting to choose the exhaust is holding up my whole order.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
You might as well bite the bullet and go for the LG long tube headers and X pipe and bolt on the PRTs.
You seem to be headed that way anyway. :yeadog:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
FRC Tom said:
You might as well bite the bullet and go for the LG long tube headers and X pipe and bolt on the PRTs.
You seem to be headed that way anyway. :yeadog:
i am thinking that might be the way to go. i just keep wondering what the sound and flow capacity would be with that stainless $300 X pipe running from the stock manifold all the way to the $291 Borla open pipes... if i spend over $2500 on exhaust (almost half the cost of a vortech SC) to find out i could have had the same or better hp/tq gains and a good sound for $600 i will stick a shop rag in my gas tank, light it and run! :eek:

although i would have to use those O2 sims, but they are pretty cheap too and i think my friend may even have a pair i could have... i guess it may all hinge on whether that long x pipe really does bolt to the stock manifold or not.

have you heared the PRT? if that pipe is really a bypass...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looking for b&b prt speedway pics on the car

my bassani open pipe that runs from the manifold to the muffler wide open and o2 sims is in the mail, now i just need the exhaust. they have the borla stinger and straight pipes on a great sale, but with the whole system being so open, i am thinking about the b&b prt with speedway tips, just need some good pics of them on the rear of the Z06 or C5 and some feedback from people running them. thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
went with the borla stinger instead of the b&b...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just do it! u will love the power boost

Wits-Z said:
Well, sounds like you're off to a great start on the upgrades.. I have a vararam in the garage ready to go, but just haven't found a couple hours to deal with the install as it sounds like it might not be the most tight fitting unit. In any event, you are going to run into many opinions about the exhaust. I have not heard the xr-1 system, but in my opinion, you should try to listen to a few.. add the GHL systems to your list as they rock, though I understand they may not be as loud as the BB bullets. I'm sure you will be thrilled with any of them as the Z with many of the aftermarkets will be happy to scare some car alarms!
all is going fairly well so far, i keep finding more things to clean, filters to change... but, man, u MUST make the time to put that vararam on. the diff is unreal. if u do not get side tracked the way i do, u could do it in under 2 hours easy. but when u have it all apart, it is very easy to start cleaning all the crap from between the radiators, catching up on small items like PCV and fuel filter, and worst of all, discovering all the other parts that you MUST buy to help it flow more while you already have it apart like the carbon fiber air bridge, bigger TB, etc... remember, cars are an addiction!!!

ps - don't use the k&n cleaner and oil kit with the foam filter, the PJ stuff is bigger, cheaper and is specially made for foam filters. if you plan to pick up that k&n filter that fits the vararam for long trips or daily driving, PJ also makes a cleaner and oil spray for them. again, bigger and cheaper kit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
suggestions on the best plugs...

might as well do the plugs too...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
looking at these...

NGK iridium plugs represent the ultimate evolution of spark plug technology and performance. The iridium center electrode is both stronger and harder than platinum. This allows NGK engineers to design an ultra-fine (0.6mm)center electrode reducing the voltage requirement for spark. This allows for a brighter, stronger spark from your existing ignition system. The ground electrode has a tapered cut at the firing end which reduces quenching for better flame core growth and increased ignitability. The combination of fine wire center electrode and tapered cut ground will increase performance, improve acceleration, and fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad you are enjoying your vararam and yeah the power is unreal. I remember when i installed mine, i had the same problems as you did with the install. What sucks about my situation is that i live in wpb, florida and i get hit hard with the hurricane seasons over here and my filter is just torn to pieces....lol.....I took out my filter and smacked it on the ground and i swear i could have potted a plant with all the sand and dirt that was sucked up in there. Other than that, when it doesn't rain i have no problems. With my set up i threw in a little 100 shot of NOS in the mix but some people find a little scary after that yellow Z06 blew up on the internet, but i believe that was a bad set up. Anyways, good luck on all your upgrades....I still have to work on my exhaust mods as im still running on stock. :jammin:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MAXZO603 said:
Glad you are enjoying your vararam and yeah the power is unreal. .....I took out my filter and smacked it on the ground and i swear i could have potted a plant with all the sand and dirt that was sucked up in there. With my set up i threw in a little 100 shot of NOS in the mix but some people find a little scary after that yellow Z06 blew up on the internet, but i believe that was a bad set up. Anyways, good luck on all your upgrades....I still have to work on my exhaust mods as im still running on stock. :jammin:
yep, i just can't decide between the LG, Supermaxx and Kooks long tube header set up... the borla stinger sounds great, but that stock H pipe and stock cats must go! my friend has had great results with his 100 shot NOS.

i have to pick out some plugs and a fuel filter this weekend, not fun stuff, but needed...

right now i need to get it down off the jack stands and wash it up to head to one of our local friday night car events. not going to bother taking it up to the track till i have all the new parts on...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the borla stinger sounds great, just need to get rid of that H pipe to smooth out the popping slowing down. went to 2 car shows saturday. the all chevy show at the dealer was great. will post pics when my new web site is up and done. my fellow club member, rich, with the 8 sec TT was there. it always steals the show. it is one bad ass machine.

i was out with the borla, vararam, air bridge, etc and had a chance to line up with a sweet red supra and rx7, but the check engine light came one. i assumed it could be that the car was running too lean with all that extra air coming in, so as badly as it pained me i had to let them go. not worth an engine. i still had the programmer in the trunk, so i pulled into a parking lot and ran the diagnostics. sure enough, it said it was running too lean. after installing the basic perf program which also dissabled the annoying 1st to 4th shift, and setting the fans to come on sooner and shut off later... no codes, no probs. seemed to idle a little higher, had better throttle response and ran cooler right out of the lot. i went searching for the pair, but they were gone. did get to run down, over and past a few friends with various mustangs and a 300Z TT. not even going to bother to try any of our supra guys yet. i know what they run, and it will make me look like i am going backwards till i get more of my mods installed. one was out of town and just broke ANOTHER record. the video should be online. 8.?? sec at over 160mph in a daily driven, smooth, reliable supra.

heading out to look a few cars for sale today, a yellow Z06, Maybe a ZR1 (he says he won't sell it), 2 AMG's and three 911's (a C2, C4 & AWD TT)... i don't really use the bike or SVX much, so they may pop up for sale soon...

have a great sunday all :zboobie:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, the frt AND rear X pipes have been added. so much for direct bolt on... it almost is if you use the bassani rear X, but i had to reverse cut the bassani frt X to accomodate the borla rear X that i liked to the borla stinger. it took some serious muscle effort to get it all to fit the way i wanted, and that damn anti seize crap is a mess. i have always hated that stuff, but it makes for easy swapping of parts later if needed. the O2 sims must be working as i have set no codes. i feel the extra power for sure, but i am torn on the sound. it seemed deeper WITH the cats, but is now a louder more true race sound. i have toyed with the idea of adding high flow random techs if i can pick them up from my friend wholesale. he said he can cut them in so that they can quickly be installed or replaced by the X or straight pipe in minutes. we'll see, i need to drive it like this for a while. it doesn't look like my wing will be on b4 the car show this sunday though. i had hoped to have it lowered, tinted, winged and a few other parts... but have been distracted by the ML500. that is one sweet SUV and has some serious speed potential.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
rear spoiler

been trying to get the Z dropped off forever... wing has been painted for over a month, just need to leave it to have it bolted on and hope it looks good...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts