Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I was sitting in my house and watched a car drive by and slow down in front of my house. Next thing I know my vette's panick alarm went off in my garage and the car drove off. They never got out of the car. It's snowing so I could not tell what kind of car or details. Is it possible for people to drive around and somehow figure out the frequency to my key fobs? My keys on my fridge so no one could have touched them and nothing was moving in my garage. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
168 Posts
wait a second, it is snowing? snow? yo... what is your car doing outside in the snow? even if they would manage to steal it, they wouldn't get very far.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car is under cover in the garage. We are having a freak snow storm here in Ohio. I just bought the clutch pedal lock, hope it helps. This car has never even seen rain. haha I guess the best security I have is the headers and borla stingers. There's no way to sneak this car away quietly..... famous last words.....

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
Next they will sitting around your house waiting for the garage door to open so they can steal that code too!!!!

You need some claymores and trip wire. :yeadog:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 6 pound dog named Missy will shred their asses. They have no idea who they are messing with. lol

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I would chain the car to one of the studs in the garage. Chain it to one of your interior walls so that when they take it your wall will come down with it. Or you could sleep in the drivers seat with your trusty shot gun. Can you believe it's snowing this late in the year in Ohio?

D.J.

A guy with a wrecker can haul one of these things off anytime they want to. Drag it on a roll back and off they go.

·
Registered
259 Posts
methos said:
Hey guys. I was sitting in my house and watched a car drive by and slow down in front of my house. Next thing I know my vette's panick alarm went off in my garage and the car drove off. They never got out of the car. It's snowing so I could not tell what kind of car or details. Is it possible for people to drive around and somehow figure out the frequency to my key fobs? My keys on my fridge so no one could have touched them and nothing was moving in my garage. Thanks for any advice.
I'd be worried !!! :idea: GET A BIG DOG MAN :sneaky:

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
FORGET THE DOG! :lol:

I will give you my Mother-in-law, nothing is going to get passed her without experiencing severe trauma. :jawdrop:

She is a feisty one. :D

In fact I will pay you to take her! ;)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I wonder how many unique remote (fob) codes there are in existence. With so many vehicles GM manufacturers, you would think there would be some duplication at some point???

In your case, I hope it was just some jacka$$es messing around. If not, I'd recommend high caliber firearms or I can loan you my 135lb rotty with a penchant for flesh.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have 15 hollow points in the clip, oh and my crazy mother in law watch dog just happens to be sleeping here tonight too. It just sucks to have to worry about this crap.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, if anyone is interested. here is a reply from my local tuner when I asked about how people crack our security codes.

>>>>
Yes, unfortunately, there are a bunch of devices out there that can be used for those purposes. The radio-frequency devices are regulated by the FCC, and are restricted to a well-known part of the frequency spectrum. The good news is that there are 2 parts to the security system: 1) Content Theft Deterrent, and 2) Vehicle Theft Deterrent. So, while they may be able to unlock and disarm the Content system, they would still have to get by the Vehicle system too.

For the Vehicle Theft system, the ignition key has a resistor "pellet" so that the engine won't fire unless the correct value is inserted in the ignition switch. There are only 15 values of these resistors (which are also well-known since they are published in the factory service manual and available on the net) however, if the wrong value is inserted (such as by a thief trying each value), the computer goes into "tamper mode" and locks-out for 3 minutes. This slows them down, but doesn't eliminate a theft if they have enough time.

Sorry there's no foolproof answer here. If pros are really trying for it, and don't care about damaging the body, they can pry the hood up, cut the battery cable and just tow it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. I only take joyrides and it's garaged the remainder of the time. They figured the panick code though while it was in my garage. Thankfully I'm moving in 1 month to a house that I wired myself with cameras, motion sensors, etc.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Did you at least get their tag number? If I saw this and was that worried I'd walk outside...let them see me writing the tag down... and/or taking a pic of them in the car...but that's just me. :yeadog:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope, I didn't suspect them at first because my home is for sale and a ton of people slow down in front of it. All I saw was the car color and the fact that there were 2 guys. I was looking through blinds and it was snowing, so that's all I got. I'm looking into Lojack. Does anybody have experience with lojack?

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
methos said:
Nope, I didn't suspect them at first because my home is for sale and a ton of people slow down in front of it. All I saw was the car color and the fact that there were 2 guys. I was looking through blinds and it was snowing, so that's all I got. I'm looking into Lojack. Does anybody have experience with lojack?
:cheers: That makes sense with the house for sale.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
methos said:

Lojack works great, but only if the car is moved. They have a paging system that will tell you via cell phone or email if the car has been moved, but their own literature staties that there is anywhere from a 15 minute to 1 hour delay in sending the message, which to me is pretty useless. I'm looking for an alarm that will send a page/call immediately if the alarm is tripped, so far, i've only found the viper, but i haven't called them yet to find out if they have a similar delay like lojack.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts