Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey everyone. I didn't see really anything under this topic, so I figured I'd post up some info on a place that I had an absolute blast driving recently. I'm speaking of the Tail of the Dragon, part of US 129 near Deal's Gap, NC. I attended a car meet with some of my fellow 3000GT/Stealth enthusiasts in late August where we spent a weekend relaxing, talking about cars, and most importantly, driving the Dragon! Known more to bikers, the Dragon appears to have gained a lot of popularity with sports car drivers in the past 10 years or so. 318 curves in 11 miles. Sadly, I must note that the speed limit is 30-35mph for most of the ride, and LEOs are usually out and watching. This should not deter you from checking it out, if you ever have the chance! The surrounding area also serves as home to some other curve-packed cruiseways such as the Moonshiner 28, Devil's Triangle, and the Diamondback, to name a few. I went in my C5Z, and even with the lower speed limit, found my traction control kicking on a few times.
So, with all of that being said; I'll post a link to the main website (for informational purposes and maps of the area) if I'm allowed to do that. Please let me know, and I will edit if not.
**edit**

To anyone interested, please feel free to ask questions, as I've been hitting this area for a few years now, and am quite familiar with the area. Now get down there and cruise!

Yea, lots of vendor links in your link I'm afraid

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good deal! Sorry for the link violation!

I was hoping this post would bolster some more posts regarding Mid-Atlantic roads to cruise. I'm fairly new to the area that I'm currently living, and would like some feedback or info on any area roads in this particular section of the map. I had to travel nearly 3 hours to get to the Tail, and it was about the closest one that I could readily find info on. I have been to the Back of the Dragon, but am still looking to branch out in the SWVA - Tri-cities area.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Here's an interesting recent article on the Dragon from Road and Track. Since I don't want to piss off the Z06vette forum gods:

Google: road and track dragon 458

Its the first item that comes up.

Dog

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I did "back of the dragon" last year and it was insane. Its in Marion Va. and we didn't see one LEO in 3 days and a lot of driving. The reason we planned it there was how enforced the tail is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts