Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i am the owner of mgw and we have been getting alot of guys emailing me about making some c5 stuff like the viper and mustang stuff we make.

well i broke down and bought an 02 z06 this weekend and i am in the process of doing some shift knobs for them. i really hated the feel and looks of the stock knob. plus it was too high!!!

well i did a mod and put one of our viper 6 speed knobs on for now but i will have some nice z06 knobs and c5 knobs soon but i thought you guys would want to save this pic that shows how the goofy factory 6 speed knob comes off...

regards
george

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for the pics.

This is a good idea. I've actually seen some aftermarket comapnies sell "short shifters" which were just stock shifters cut like you're doing.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
George, where is the pin that everybody has such trouble getting out? :-?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Cool! Thanks!

Hmmmmm...... from what I have read here at this site it doesn't go that easy!!!
Some guys are ready to get the hot wrench out it whips 'em so bad. Do you have a secret to make it that easy?:D :cheers:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry for posting out of line here. i have emailed the site owner just now for advertising options. not sure if i am going to even sell these as i bought the cvar for my own fun and am going to make a shift knob for me first. if it looks like people are interested i will make sure i start supporting the site :)

Msiska- the pin you are reffering to is the t shaped steel insert you see me prying out in step 3. it really is not that hard to do at all. the main thing is to use a rather long flat blade like i did to get the proper leverage. i also was not worried about ruining the stock leather knob so that may also be an issue :D

george

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
George would be a great addition to this board. He has supplied us over at the Viper forum with lots of high quality products. Welcome George.

BTW, we have the same color Vipers, I wonder if his 02 Z is TR like mine. hahaha :lol:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Nice pic, thanks!

Another tip: Before cutting the top few threads off, screw a hex nut on the threaded shaft....make your cut, and then remove the nut. This will help "chase (clean) the threads" so that re-installing the shift knob is easier, with less chance of goofing up the threads! :D

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Zippy said:
Nice pic, thanks!

Another tip: Before cutting the top few threads off, screw a hex nut on the threaded shaft....make your cut, and then remove the nut. This will help "chase (clean) the threads" so that re-installing the shift knob is easier, with less chance of goofing up the threads! :D

Zippy :z: :z:
Zippy..............That was GOOD advice!! Don't you wish you were gifted as well,with Computers?:D :D
Zman:cheers:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Great Pics

George,

Great pics and tips. U2 Zipster. heheh I think I am going to give my shifter a bobbit and and a new head too :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
For Step 3, if you use another flathed on the opposite side and pry up at the same time, it will come off alot easier. :) .... Hmmm. Now I'm thinking of cutting mine. I HATE the tall stock shifter. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts