Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is: can 500 HP be used safely on the street? Lots of times I hear people claim even 400 HP is too much to safely use outside a track.

I contend the answer is actually "yes", but only in certain circumstances. For instance, we have 75 MPH highways here, on which typical traffic moves around 80-85. We have long, smooth, straight merging ramps with no possibility of side traffic. Who's to say one cannot get up to the highway speed limit really fast? It doesn't seem unsafe, unless you run up against the bumper of a car in front of you, but quite often there is no car in front of you on the ramp.

I'm sure there are other occasions as well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
596 Posts
novetteyet said:
My question is: can 500 HP be used safely on the street? Lots of times I hear people claim even 400 HP is too much to safely use outside a track.

I contend the answer is actually "yes", but only in certain circumstances. For instance, we have 75 MPH highways here, on which typical traffic moves around 80-85. We have long, smooth, straight merging ramps with no possibility of side traffic. Who's to say one cannot get up to the highway speed limit really fast? It doesn't seem unsafe, unless you run up against the bumper of a car in front of you, but quite often there is no car in front of you on the ramp.

Thoughts?
IMO it's all how you drive that HP. I've seen guys drive 115 HP cars and let's say they went down for the dirt nap real quick. I don't know the roads where you live but I know here in NY & NJ you need to be on the ball. Running my car with my upgraded goodies and having run a 350+ HP nitrous/turbo motorcycle :sneaky: here on these streets you have to have a :screwy: loose but I'm in counseling for it as we speak. Keep an eye open, an ear to the ground and the number of a 24 hour attorney who can post bail if things go wrong. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
It's your experience and training, and you do need both when you get in this range, otherwise you'll just be an idiot waiting for an accident to happen. My cars went almost exactly 200hp, 300hp, 400hp, now 500hp. If I went from 200 to 500, could have been trouble. Also, I've done much high speed driving for experience, that as well makes ALL the difference.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Why is this an issue? Why is this even a topic?

Some people can't drive a Vespa scooter on the street. It has nothing to do with HP or the car....it's a non issue...stop trying to make it one.

·
Registered
638 Posts
500hp or 50hp, I say its all about being a responsible driver and learning to respect the power of your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree: it's about being responsible.

I guess I've just read too many opinions saying basically, "there's no way to safely use a 4/500 HP car on the street", and I don't believe that's true.

·
Registered
83 Posts
if you are a good safe driver then active handling and traction control will keep you from letting the occasional miscalculation turn into a scary situation. you can get into trouble with almost any horsepower, so the jump from 400 to 500 does not make that much of a difference. active handling makes a much bigger difference, and as the technology moves down market it will save more and more lives.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nobody complains about the Hiyabusa motorcycles that can do 9 sec 1/4 miles in stock form. Plus, I don't hear of them wrecking every day either. as a matter of fact, most crotch rocket bikes are about equal to or better in acceleration performance than a 500HP car.

I agree it's about the maturity level of the driver.

The ONLY time the car puts out 500HP is when you lay the hammer down. A mature and responsible driver won't lay it down at the wrong time.

-Dave C. '04 Z06

PS: The wrong time is any time EXCEPT when you're at a light and a high performance car pulls up beside you and revs. :jammin: I guess I'll be one of the guys in the ditch! :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Safely? Yes. Legally? No, unless you limit your 500hp fun to 2-3 second increments at a time, and even then if a cop saw you doing that, you would almost certainly be slapped with a wreckless driving ticket even if you did shut it down by 60 MPH.

The reality is, you need a track to fully exploit the 500hp. Same goes for our lowly 405hp+ Z06's.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
500rwhp has been no problem so I'm sure 500 crank hp would be no problem. :sneaky:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
DJWorm said:
Why is this an issue? Why is this even a topic?

Some people can't drive a Vespa scooter on the street safely. It has nothing to do with HP or the car....it's a non issue...stop trying to make it one.
Right on :thumb:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
novetteyet said:

Thoughts?
My Z06 produces well over 640 bhp (at the crank) and I am a very careful driver. I have no interest in having a wreck, being suited or damaging a beautiful car. Be respectful and drive defensively. I only use the 650 horses when I need to and on open roads with no one around. Or to occasionally beat up on Ferrari 355s. :jammin:

Its like everyone says, its a matter of responsibilty. I also am a strong believer in a well-balanced sports car so that all the parts are matched in terms of overall performance. If you are making 500+ rwhp but are running on stock brakes and suspension, you are asking for trouble since the stock brakes will have a hard time keeping up with the sppeds you can attain in the blink of an eye. :ity: :jammin:

·
Registered
356 Posts
First of all, if you have a light weight 400 or 500 or 600 or 700 HP vehicle you can't get on it for very long on the street most of the time anyway.

Two years ago a friend of mine asked me to help him find a used Z06. My dealer friend helped us find one in Asheville, NC with 172 miles on it. A doctor had purchased it and had found out it was too much car for him. My friend made a GREAT purchase. A lot of people will get them and never use the potential. Then there are nuts like me that are looking forward to "hammer down"! I can't wait to see how fast it will really go. I am sure some people will kill themselves, who knows, maybe I will. People on bicycles kill themselves all the time. People will know quickly with the new Z06 if they can handle the power or not. Just from reading some of the forum questions the good drivers can tell many forum members will never use the cars potential.

Bottom line, "DRIVE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!"

·
Registered
282 Posts
I guess I better be careful. I'm a doctor in Asheville and I'm waiting to get a C6ZO6. I'll be replacing my '94 Camry so I hope that I'm not overwhelmed by the power and find myself taking a $15,000 loss because I need to get rid of beast.

·
Registered
356 Posts
dmac said:
I guess I better be careful. I'm a doctor in Asheville and I'm waiting to get a C6ZO6. I'll be replacing my '94 Camry so I hope that I'm not overwhelmed by the power and find myself taking a $15,000 loss because I need to get rid of beast.
Hey, dmac, I live in Spartanburg, SC and have a C6 Z06 coming. I would love to play, any time. What color are you getting? I will help you save $14,000.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
dmac said:
DMAC -

A Z06 is 180 degrees from a Toyota Camry. I had an Acura RL sedan before I bought the Vette and it definitely takes a serious recalibration of the right foot. If its too much, call me, I'll buy it and have two 427 C5Rs in my garage... I also used to buy physician practices.

ScD FACHE aka VIPER EATER

·
Registered
128 Posts
The thing to watch for is when entering the freeway at WOT. You got to watch for the gaurdrail as you move to the left lane, watch everyone in front coming up soooo quickly and watch the rear carefully cause it's kinda hard to see everything in the side mirror.

It's a rush in the 02 Z can't wait for the C6Z!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts