Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought turning the A/C on brings on the fans and would lower water temp. I was staging tonite and the temp was up to 212 and after 10 mins with A/C on it only went to 208? Needless to say a thunderstorm came thru and shut the track down before 50 of us got one run in. :(

·
Registered
837 Posts
Here's what I do:

Mine cools down fast to 192-194 degrees when I:

turn on AC, push the recirc button, and push the fan setting up to max. Works every time even when track temps are in the 90s.

I shut the AC off again when I actually stage the car.

Ranger

·
Registered
198 Posts
Actually, If you turn your Heater on... this works even better, because it still turns on the fans... and brings the Antifreeze, through the heater core... and back... giving it more time to cool!

Peace,

Dave

·
Registered
327 Posts
Does the heater turn the radiator fans on??? I thought you put the front defroster on (since it clicks the AC compressor on) to get the radiator fans on? This would allow the coolant to process through the heater core as well.

I personally wouldn't want to sit in a car pumping hot air on me when it is 90-120 degrees outside (air temp and radiating temp from the track). I'd wait for a cooler day to try again. But then again I drag race about twice a week.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, I use the 'Front Defroster' setting, to be sure the fans are on, but I also have a fan switch.. so that isn't necessary for those who have their fans on a switch. However, we gain further temperature cooling, by routing throughout the Heater Core.

You are right... it isn't comfortable sitting in a car with the heater on, when it is already hot outside... but this is where sacrifices are made for every Hundredth! ;)

Dave

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still having trouble

:( well yesterday was a nice day, mid 80's, and water temp was running about 225-230 in staging. Set AC to recirc, 60 degrees and fans on max. It felt good but the temps only came down to 218-220. Tried the heater, and that only suceedded in raising MY temperature! :eek:
Another thing, when in comp driving you cannot see the temp read out right? I kept switching the handling on and off to see temps, then just watched gauge since it wasnt coming down anyway.
On the bright side, I took overall (autocross) FTD and then ran a fun run with the Eagles and came within 2 secs of my FTD, which still beat most cars with race tires.
Putting my vortex on this week. Very anxious for the results...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Re: Still having trouble

racingfast said:
[B...water temp was running about 225-230 in staging. Set AC to recirc, 60 degrees and fans on max. It felt good but the temps only came down to 218-220..... in comp driving you cannot see the temp read out right?.... [/B]
Congrats on your FTD.

I use the AC/recirc/max fans technique at the drags. ALWAYS brings my temps down to 192-194 degrees. Might try raises the rpm to 2000 vice idle, thereby moving more water.

In COMPETITIVE DRIVING Mode, just hit the reset button. That will allow the DIC to report water temp etc.

Ranger

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

Thanks Chris..:guiness:

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reset

RANGER: I did do that but thought the reset would then reset the control to TRAC ON as well. IT doesnt? GREAT.. thanks.. why do you think my temps are not coming down?? I did raise RPM to 2000 as well. Brian

·
Registered
837 Posts
Re: Reset

racingfast said:
RANGER: I did do that but thought the reset would then reset the control to TRAC ON as well. IT doesnt? GREAT.. thanks.. why do you think my temps are not coming down?? I did raise RPM to 2000 as well. Brian
Just for clarity sake, when COMPETITIVE DRIVING shows in the DIC, hitting the DIC reset button will change only the display. TC/AH are controlled only by the button on the console. Wish the dash showed a separate light for when COMPETITIVE DRIVING is activated, as it does for when TC is OFF.

Don't know why your temp may be slow to revert to normal (circa 194). Sometimes it takes a few minutes at elevated idle to do the trick.

Ranger

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thnks RANGER. I will try to lower the temp in traffic around town this week. My next Autocross is this sunday...would like to get the temps down by then. BTW: Great times in your sig! I tried by hand at drags this sat---not too impressive.. 13.1 @ 109mph.. how do you set up your car? Tire press/launch rpms,etc?

·
Registered
837 Posts
racingfast said:
Thnks RANGER....at drags.... how do you set up your car? Tire press/launch rpms,etc?
racingfast,

Here's what I'm doing.

Stage: Windows up. COMPETITION DRIVING set. Radio off. AC off. At Capitol Raceway, I pull straight through the water; they won't let you go around it. At Cecil County Dragway, I drive around the water, keeping the tires dry.

I spin the stock F1SC tires for a second or two to clean them off. I was running 23 lbs in the rear and 42 lbs up front. I shallow staged, barely tripping the second set of bulbs.

Launch: I hold an rpm between 2000-2900 (depending on what the track seem to want) and quickly release the clutch with full engagement occurring in the first 2'-10'. I let the tires to hook before going to WOT. the intent is to leave just enough rubber to not bog the engine.

Shifting: I'm running the stock shifter. Did some slight throttle lift on the shifts particularly on the 1st-2d where it's easy to spin a lot. Was shifting 1st-2d and 2d-3d at an indicated 6300, because it revs so fast and need to stay off the limiter. The 3d-4th shift was at an indicated 6500.

One other thing. I've started wearing running shoes instead of low-cut work boots. I'm thinking the thinner soles give me a little better feel for what the rear wheels are doing.

Hope this helps.

Ranger

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RANGER, thanks again for all your help. Its gonna be a while til I get to a track again, but I will find some back country road and try the release techniques you use. Like I said, I am in the autocross competition with NCCC & drags are just a bonus. I wanted to know what the car could do before installing my vortex.

On another note, I am having the dealer install a new front leaf spring due to one of the rubber pads on the lowering bolts coming off. The spring comes in a kit withthe bushing/bolt and GM wants the old spring back for warranty claims. We checked alignment settings now to return it to the settings it has now since its working just fine on the AX track.

Talk later..... :grin:

Racingfast

·
Registered
267 Posts
Our local club had the cheif Z06 engineer at our metting the other month. After talking to him, he suggested that I monitor the oil temp not the water temp. With AC on it kicks on the fans, defrost will do the same, but defrost and heater will add extra movement in coolant...but it takes longer before results. His advise was to use whatever was most comfortable to get oil temp to 220-230 degrees. Depending on the day and time for waiting, I have varied the above methods.

I could not get a good explanation why some Z06 will cool to 190-200 and others only 205-215 degrees. Too many variable on his part.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts