Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2.5 hours! Aaargh, I have a crawling-upside-down-in-the-passenger-footwell headache today. :puke:

I couldn't pull out the #$%&ing pigtail from the wiring harness so I had to do all work way down below and far away. :mad:

It was all wired up pretty using the nice little blue V1 wire-clamp which attaches to the yellow "hot" wire but no go. No matter how much twiddling I did with the connections there seemed like no power to the V1. Convinced the connection to the "hot" wire was the issue I tore off the pretty blue wire-clamp and physically wired the V1's red wire to the yellow. Still nothing. :mad:

Go back inside, take a breather, rest my spinning head.

Come out, stare at things for a while and decide to check everything systematically. All connections check out and then I get to the ground. Hmm, maybe this metal screw that holds these plastic pieces together isn't grounded. Bingo! :lol:

Could've saved myself about 2 hours if I'd known that!

So now that it's all wired up and hidden (just left of rear view mirror) it's beautiful and I love it. Just have to learn the difference between a beep, brap, brap-brap and the fascinating sounding "European siren warning sound"

--pdx_Z :cheers:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Pdx -- So, if you had known about that ground situation, do you think that the whole hard-wiring process would have really only taken 1/2 an hour? (That sounds good to me!)

Also, is it clear how the A-pillar piece comes off? I'd hate to be pulling on it the wrong way and break something...

Any more advice you can give (hints, tips) would be great! Thanks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KMeloney said:
Pdx -- So, if you had known about that ground situation, do you think that the whole hard-wiring process would have really only taken 1/2 an hour? (That sounds good to me!)

Also, is it clear how the A-pillar piece comes off? I'd hate to be pulling on it the wrong way and break something...

-Kirk
I think 1/2 an hour give or take is about right if I had to do it again on another car. The trickiest part was finding the pigtail and separating the yellow wire from the others. It's physically difficult work if you can't disconnect the pigtail from its harness to make the connections since you're doing it all in the passenger footwell.

As for the A-pillar, I didn't remove mine. I routed the cable inside the windshield edge of the ceiling liner then down the outside edge of the A-pillar, then between the edge of the dash and the plastic piece that's flush to it and down into the passenger footwell. The cable is only visible as it goes around the very top of the A-pillar (1.5 inches or so). If you're not looking for it you'll never see it.

Hope this helps.

--pdx_Z

·
Registered
945 Posts
I also could not get the pig tail out. It is really hard working way up there. I pulled off the "A" pillar. Just pull it straight back and it snaps off. I also had no power to my V-1, I redid all the connections and the ground. Last thing I did was pull the telephone type connection out of the one side and into the other "accessory" side and it worked fine. Still to this day I do not know why one telephone connection worked and one never.:-?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
2002blackZ06 said:
Still to this day I do not know why one telephone connection worked and one never.:-?
Probably because the connections on the main RJ-11 jack were broken on the inside...hardwiring the V1 into mine was a helluva lot easier to do than on the Fbody, didn't even have to pull the console out! (I can do them on an Fbody in about 30 minutes)

Another thing that made me say, "Kick fuckin' ass!!" about getting into a Vette. :lol:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
KMeloney said:

-Kirk
hey kirk...i ran mine up the a-pillar and yes it simply pulls right out. probably took me about 1/2 hour to do my install.
for the most part it's pretty easy.

-jc

·
Registered
386 Posts
I haven't ordered my V1 yet but if you have the "chromatic mirror" option I think you can pick up the power at the mirror and headliner connections.

·
Registered
945 Posts
WB6HRO said:
I haven't ordered my V1 yet but if you have the "chromatic mirror" option I think you can pick up the power at the mirror and headliner connections.
Yes you can but I believe that is not a switched power source. So the V-1 would be on all the time if you forget to turn it off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts