Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the link to a full set of installation instructions for the Valentine One.
http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/hobbies/corvette/options/valentine_install.html

I followed them and they made the job very straight-forward.

I initially installed the remote display and took it out in favor of placing the main unit within my line of sight; I mounted the main unit in the extreme upper left hand side of the windshield where it tucks in nicely and is easy to see in peripheral vision. I don't like taking my eyes off the road.

The only reason to mount it in the center of the car is for some very marginal improvement in laser detection. But given the way laser works, if you're painted by it you're caught. Simply too late to brake. The bigger threat in my area is K and Ka bands, the detection of which is unaffected by the the placement I've chosen.

Ranger

------------------
Torch Red 2001 Z06
Delivered August 2000
Just one day at the strip: best run 12.47 @ 117.4 mph
Only mod: Halltech Tric with CF Cobra
Current dyno results (SAE) 345hp 349tq

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Nice instruction package Ranger.

------------------
Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **
MN6,F45,QF5,AQ9,AG2,CJ2,T96,B34,AAB,UN0,U1S,JL4,UV6,T82,N37
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
138 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by No Mercy!:
Concealed display right on top of the steering wheel column.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Mercy:
How did you mount the display? And is there a clean way to run the wire?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ranger:
I mounted the main unit in the extreme upper left hand side of the windshield where it tucks in nicely and is easy to see in peripheral vision. I don't like taking my eyes off the road.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like a good place I'll check it out. I am concerned about laser detection since the Maryland State Police have bought themselves some shiny new laser guns. Why is laser detection diminished with the unit away from the center? And is your unit behind the tinting strip on the windshield?

Thanks guys

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ranger,

Those instructions would look nice in our Tech/How To area!!

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fcalmes--

Frank,

The instruction link has been posted a couple time on the other forum. It links to someone's personal website that full of good how-to's with pics.

Perhaps, your tech prowess, negotiating skills, and Z06Vette.com policy knowledge can be put to good effect in getting the owner's permission for copies of selected pages to be housed here in this forum's tech section.

I'm not trying to dodge work. But the task requires knowledge I don't possess.

Now if ya want to talk about cup sizes, that's an area where I have first hand knowledge.

Ranger

------------------
Torch Red 2001 Z06
Delivered August 2000

[This message has been edited by Ranger (edited 03-15-2001).]

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
M3NOMORE,

My V1 is deep in the tint as far left and as high as the suction-cup mount will go.

Center mounting with no obstructions of any kind (tinting, the rearview mirror, body panels ect), I believe, is intended to maximize reception of the radar receiver, particularly against the laser tracker, which has an extremely narrow beam width in police applications.

But the real world experimentation I've done in my Corvettes through the years has led me to accept some slight degredation in sensitivity in return for putting the receiver where I can see it instantly. For me that means putting it in my line of sight or peripheral vision.

But again, if a MD trooper fires a laser at YOUR car, he instantly knows YOUR speed. It's too late to brake.

So I don't sweat a small attenuation of laser reception that may flow from positioning the detector deep in the tint and way in the corner. I'd rather maximize my ability to track threats in the K and Ka bands without having to take my eyes off the road to look down at the instrument cluster.

Sorry for the length.

Ranger

------------------
Torch Red 2001 Z06
Delivered August 2000

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Everything is hardwired into the car. The remote is centered on the steering wheel column just below the DIC it is mounted with velcro. Wire runs into dash.

------------------
Spdwy White +++

·
Registered
138 Posts
OK. Got the Valentine 1, but can't find a good place to mount it. Where have you guys been putting yours? If you have the concealed display, where do you put that?

And where the heck is that accessory plug thing behind the passenger side kick panel? Is that a good place to wire the power for the V1? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
V1 mounted high on the windshield just to the right of the mirror.

Concealed display right on top of the steering wheel column.

------------------
Spdwy White +++

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Ed Duprey of Great Lakes Trophy & Engraving makes a nice mirror mount bracket for the V1. I have used it on my Y2K convertible with great results. You can easily slide the V1 out of the bracket to prevent theft when you park your car. I am not sure if the bracket fits the optional self dimming mirror on the Z06, but Ed is always very helpful to his customers. E-mail is [email protected] They are located in Garden City, Michigan. Phone is 734.266.1815.

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Red/Black Z

·
Registered
566 Posts
Zippy:

I have talked to Ed about this some tome ago. He said he was working on a mount for the electro chromo mirrors in the Z06, as the mount he now makes will not work (I had one) on my 97 Coupe). Have heard nothing back or any where else. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Ed Duprey sent me an email saying that they tried coming up with a mirror mount that works with the self-dimming mirror, but do not have anything available as of now. They are continuing to work on coming up with a workable mount.

Frank: Ed will most likely be at Baker's restaurant when we meet there in a couple of weeks...maybe we could discuss this at that time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Why does this unit HAVE to be so freaking UGLY?????

Can it be hidden? Is the remote display small? Can anyone post of pic of a genuine installation or is hanging it from the windshield the only option???

It's so ugly I think I'd rather just drive slow. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

·
Registered
566 Posts
Zippy:

Please press Ed to get one going. I really don't like putting my V1 on the dash, with the cups. His old bracket was neat (I let it go with my 97 cause the buyer had a V1 too). BTW, cool pic of your car dude!

·
Registered
138 Posts

On 2001-03-24 10:34, John Thawley spewed forth this drivel:
It's so ugly I think I'd rather just drive slow.
Unfortunately, my Z doesn't have that speed /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif So that option is out.

I've seen some sigs here on this forum that list V1s with remotes. It would be nice if some of these guys had some suggestions. Please.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts