Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed C5R valve covers and relocated coils behind left front tire. Have 413 rwhp and since these mods have found oil temp never goes above 230. Driving hard at DE’s with stock setup, oil temp would hit 280+.

My theory: larger aluminum valve covers dissipate heat due to more surface area over the stock covers.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I like to see some pictures of the coil packs. :ity: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Jim Holland said:
Installed C5R valve covers and relocated coils behind left front tire. Have 413 rwhp and since these mods have found oil temp never goes above 230. Driving hard at DE’s with stock setup, oil temp would hit 280+.

My theory: larger aluminum valve covers dissipate heat due to more surface area over the stock covers.
I'm sure it helped, but I think the removal of the plastic covers might of helped more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, never thought of that result. Do not like plastic covering a motor - old school of seeing the machine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have tried to post pictures, but site says my "files are to big". Would love show the car but don't know how to get around this obstacle.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Interesting thought.

A friend of mine removes the plastic covers from day one because of the appearance.

I would think the entire engine and fluids would be cooler with the covers off because off improved heat dissipation.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Not to doubt what you are saying, but putting on different valve covers and moving the coil packs isn't going to drop the oil temps 50 degs or more. You'd have to put an oil cooler on there to see those kind of temp drops.

·
Banned
809 Posts
You're probably seeing the difference from removing the fuel rail covers. It's always a good idea to remove them and leave them at home if you're going to attend a DE.

Sal

·
Registered
219 Posts
sweet! first thing i did when i brought both my Zs home was rip off those gay red pieces of plastic so i could see the motor! :jammin: why can't chevy put proper valve covers on these motors like the viper or maserati?

i've got a set of C5-R covers at home just in case i cave in and get the heads to go with them! i'm currently fabbing up some coil relocation brackets and a low mount alternator bracket that'll put the alt where the AC compressor is so i can beautify the engine compartment.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Jim Holland said:
Have tried to post pictures, but site says my "files are to big". Would love show the car but don't know how to get around this obstacle.
Email them to me I'll post them :cheers:
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Not sure about the valve covers, though I doubt they have that much difference.

I have tried the plastic covers on and off and haven't noted any difference. :cheers:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sent itlgo email with pictures. The mechanic that made the brackets would probably be willing to sell the piece that is mounted to the frame. It is one sweet setup with enhanced wires. Let me know if there is interest.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sent itlgo email with pictures. The mechanic that made the brackets would probably be willing to sell the piece that is mounted to the frame. It is one sweet setup with enhanced wires. Let me know if there is interest.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts