Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked before, but is it considered normal on a Z06 to have some valve noise? I can sit in the car and @ idle I can hear a tapping noise that goes away @ higher rpm's ,like a lifter/tappet sound. This car makes different sounds that my 2000 coupe and I'm just not sure whats normal for a Z ! also when I let the clutch out and leave it in neutral the rattling is loud and @ other times its not to bad. any input is appreciated.
these noises are driving me
:eek:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Turbo,

Yes all the noises you describe are and have been posted as normal. Its a very mechincal as opposed to a coupe, lot less insultation and padding, Raw............

Others will post.............

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
turbo,

I notice the vavle train noise most with cold engine temps. Once my car is completely warmed up (oil temp > 200 deg), the valve train is fairly quiet.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
What oil pressure is your Z running at? Mine seems to be pretty quiet, and I only sometimes hear alitttle noise at cold startup. After it runs a minute, its pretty queit.

Anyway, make sure your oil pressure is about 30~35 psi at an idle after the oil is fully hot (200+ F). When I had my coupe, I put the UPF44 Ultragaurd oil filter on it, and noticed alot better oil pressure as a result. It also seemed to quiet down the engine noises some also. IMO, the higher oil pressure probably made the hydraulic lifters operate better, and might have made them alittle quieter. It's worth a try anyway.

The noise you hear pulling away in first gear is normal, and talked about in the video. There is also a "can of marbles" sound heard if you shut the car off with the tranny in neutral.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Has anyone found that putting something like Redline MTL in the tranny has help eliminate the "marbles" sound? The Ultraguard
filter should also help quiet down the engine with higher oil press.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have a ticking noise that never seems to go away - hot, cold, or otherwise. It's very annoying and somewhat loud with the windows up and I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
dsinned said:
Has anyone found that putting something like Redline MTL in the tranny has help eliminate the "marbles" sound?
The marbles sound at shut off is due to the driveline setup on the C5 with trans in back connected to the engine via the torque tube. The only way to eliminate the sound it is to push in the clutch before you shut the engine off.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This 2002 has the valve train ticking sound, but I think it has been getting quieter especially after switching to the UPF 44. Others have posted the same observation. This car is just now coming up to 900 miles from a gentle break in. Just touched 5K rpms for the first time yesterday. Most of the time I can not hear the valves. When I do, it doesn't seem to be confined to warm up. Sometimes I hear it and somtimes I don't. At cruise speeds it is not audible. When the throttle is more than 25% open, I can't hear the valves at all over the exhaust.

At 207°F M1 5-30 must be as thin as water (almost). It may take a couple of thousand miles to throughly break this engine in. At that time I will probably go with a notch cooler thermostat and eventually to M1 10-30 as Hib has suggested. I expect the value noise to further diminish with each of those changes. In the meantime I'm going to try and remember that this faint noise is normal for this engine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2002 has a ticking noise at 1700-2500 rpm. I don't notice any noises at idle, and haven't went to full throttle yet.:D , but I doubt anything could be heard with the exhaust noise under WOT.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts