Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sure enough summer starts and so do the car problems lol. I started up my car thurs mornin drove down the road and all of a sudden i hear the engine start misfiring and i get a flashing MIL.This morning I take it to the dealership and recieve a call this afternoon saying i have a broken valve spring and they'll replace it 2morrow and the car should be ok. Now here's the problem, I bought this car w/ a Cartek Cam package w/ upgraded valve train..i'm assuming this includes new springs as well? Should i ask the dealership to replace all the springs?(althought i need my car back asap) or will i be ok w/ the stock spring in place for now. Regardless i'm going to call the previous owner and ask if the springs in the car are the original's or not. I would take the car to cartek and have them look at it, but i'm currently stuck in pa. at school. What do you guys suggest?
All suggestions welcome and appreciated,
Steve

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I think I'd first find out what parts Cartek used. Then see if the quick fix you want to do makes sense. If it was me, I'd have all the springs done at the same time. It is my understanding that after market springs on a H/C car should be changed out at 20,000 to 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I'd change all the springs. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
If they're doing it under warranty, the last thing you want to do is alert them to the fact that the engine is upgraded. If it does in fact have Cartek springs, there's no way GM would cover warranty replacement.

Of course, a competent mechanic may well notice differences when he goes to install a new GM spring. If the car does indeed have aftermarket springs, they'll probably look different from the OEMs.

If you're paying for the work anyway, call Cartek, find out if your car has upgraded springs, explain the problem and see if they can drop-ship a replacement to your dealer service department. I have stuff delivered to my Chevy Dealer all the time. Then I drive down and get it professionally installed. Much easier than sitting at home waiting for UPS and then lugging someplace for the install.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dollars to donuts it has new springs. You will need to pay them to replace the springs and use the same ones. I agree, change them all at the same time. You really need to find out specifically what the car has so they can be properly replaced. If the cam is larger, the stock springs won't tolerate any high RPM use and if you float the valves the damage could be much greater.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RocketSled said:
If you're paying for the work anyway, call Cartek, find out if your car has upgraded springs, explain the problem and see if they can drop-ship a replacement to your dealer service department. I have stuff delivered to my Chevy Dealer all the time. Then I drive down and get it professionally installed. Much easier than sitting at home waiting for UPS and then lugging someplace for the install.
that seems to be my situation..i bought the car w/ no warranty, i called Cartek today..i'm hoping i get a reply 2morrow so i can possibley have my car back for the weekend(i won't hold my breathe though)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem resovled. Cartek's sendin out a set of manley valve springs to the dealer(the previous springs have been discontinued,gee i wonder why).Hopefully my car will be back on the road for the weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts