Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting a CAI system for my Z -- I've done some reasearch, as well as scour this forum, and I've decided to go with the VaraRam CAI.

Does anyone have the new version of the VaraRam CAI (Ver 2-b)? Does it come with the appropriate K&N filter? Does the filter fit snug? Which vendor is offering the best price? The cheapest I've found for the new version is $350, but the site still hasn't answered me back about the filter.
I'm just concerned - I've read that it's a great system, yet the first version comes with a flimsy filter, and changing the filter to the appropriate K&N causes fitment issues. If I'm gonna pay that much for a CAI, I want to be sure it's a nicely sealed system, drawing in ONLY cold air through the front fascia. I don't like the idea of having to mod a mod... it should come "plug n' play" outta the box.
So, if anyone can tell me if the new VR version does indeed come with a quality K&N filter (that fits!), and knows where I can get a good deal, please let me know! Thanks in advance. :D

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I would suggest checking out some of the forum vendors over to the left.

<---------------------------

Search their sites for the best price. Welcome to Z06vette.com :cheers:

·
Registered
882 Posts
The 2B comes with the K&N filter and 2 foam cutouts that I glued (spray type available at ACE or other hobby type stores) on each housing side (I guess for a better seal). Don't glue them to the filter! :)

A good price would be about $330. I got it from a supporting vendor but I don't see their name. PM me for it. Tbyrne also has good prices. :eek::

The main bitch would be the removal of the radiator shroud. I didn't break the xmas trees but couldn't get them back in. So I got some bolts and mounting clips that were perfect. Try your local ACE hardware. Helps to have smaller hands! :cool:

The black stand-off that you will find on the garage floor is from the right side of the radiator -- keeps the hose from rubbing. Look for it before it falls, you'll see what I mean. :(

When you finally install the upper assembly, it seems too high. As you push it down and seat it, some intake ducts with raised logos may push into the hood insulation. Some adjustments may be required so look before slamming the hood down. :eek:

When removing the MAF sensor, don't be sticking your hands inside without looking. There are some fine wires inside that you may disturb. :NoNo:

You will reuse one clamp from the original assembly. The rest the Vararam people supply. ;)

Why not install the PIA driving lights at the same time your under the Z? Could save some time. Once your on your back you'll see what I mean. Another vendor has them for about $168 or so. The brackets will run another $20 or so. You can buy an original indash switch for that OEM look. There are many Chevy dealers that discount. PM again. :p

Your looking at about 4-6 hours. But as with most jobs, once you do it, your next install will only be about a 2-3 hour job taking your time. ;)

One hint, lay the smaller bubble style wrap on your fenders when working. It does not mark and stops you from doing the same. As it clings your not picking up towels and such further scratching up the paint. :p

This is how is should look when your done. Well besides a few other mods! :coo:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just bought the V2B from L.A.P.D. and it came with the Baja foam filter. I am not too nuts on the filter, and contacted Patrick (owner of Vararam) who told me it should work fine, but if uncomfortable I could spray with some PJ-1 oil (for motorcycles) lightly to increase the filter capability. He also told me they are working on a new filter that will flow better than the K&N and filter better too. I am going to wait and see what they release for a new filter. I am also going to take an oil sample after 2K miles and send it to my Tribologist who looks at my oil every year. I have a good history so I will know immediately if the foam filter is a problem.

I bought mine from L.A.P.D. recently for a price of $325 shipped.

Unfortunately, the garage is still snowed in so getting the unit installed is going to take a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts