Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my vararam's installed, but the filter came w/out oil. Instructions are gone, so don't know which oil to use and where to get.
thanks

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
CoronaL said:
my vararam's installed, but the filter came w/out oil. Instructions are gone, so don't know which oil to use and where to get.
thanks
The best oil to get is PJ1 (extremely tacky) - you can pick it up at most off road motorcycle shops. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Get either the PJ1 or K & N Foam oil spray at your local motorcycle shop. You will want to pick up a can of the PJ1 foam cleaner too. I have the Vararam competition filter that needs to be cleaned every 2,000 miles, but works great. FYI.

Bob :D

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
rpallas said:
You will want to pick up a can of the PJ1 foam cleaner too. I have the Vararam competition filter that needs to be cleaned every 2,000 miles, but works great. FYI.

Bob :D
Good Point. Simple Green also works well as a cleaner too.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Get the PJ1 vice the K&N. The PJ1 is tackier and seems to bond to the ever so thin Vararam filter better than the K&N product does, thus reducing your chances of getting filter oil on your MAF.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Most Auto stores carry the oil like AutoZone, PepBoys, Discount etc. more is not better. I have never seen a K&N filter that was not pre-oiled. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
IT L GO said:
Most Auto stores carry the oil like AutoZone, PepBoys, Discount etc. more is not better. I have never seen a K&N filter that was not pre-oiled. :cheers:
True, but I bet he is referring to a Vararam foam filter. Of the nine or so I have installed, four of the filters came with little or no oil on them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well dropped car off at SpeedInc today for cam/header install/dynotune.

Asked them to oil filter and put in spacers I forgot to place when I installed the kit :O

Shooting for 400+ RWHP
224/228 112LSA cam going in with Coated LT's ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
CoronaL said:
thanks
I just installed a Vararam and the foam filter was dry The instructions say to use oil so I called L.A.P.D . ( I got it from them with there filter ) and asked they said not to oil there filter . It looks fairly tight ,( light hardly gets through ) maybe its just the filter that comes from Vararam that needs oil. Any thoughts anyone P.S. not trying to steal your thread Coronal
Bob :cheers:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here's what I was told. The Vararam I purchased last October was sent with Vararam's "Race Filter". It was very thin, almost see through and was not oiled. I was concerned about dirt, etc. so I called Vararam. They told me that the Race Filter should really be used only on the track and that they no longer ship that filter with new Vararam's, only if you request it. They recommended their "Baja" filter for normal driving. You will lose about 4 h.p., but will have adequete filtering. I ordered one and it was much denser that the race version, plus it came with a light coat of oil. I asked about what I should use to re-oil it. They told me that WD-40 would work just fine. I do know that many vendors of Vararam's have theirs shipped in without filters and they use their own filter, ie. K & N or some other brand. Vararam told me that they make filters for some of their vendors based on a specification that the vendor has recommended.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts