Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I have had my vararam for a few days now.

From day one when I read the instructions that mentioned doing a pressure test I had to chuckle. There is no way this thing will seal completely. It does not fit together that good.

So, I decided to seal mine. I got some black automotive silicone from the hardware store and used a baby wipes box for the extra plastic that I needed.

First, I sealed the V piece that hold the two ram together. I did this just like caulking a bathroom. Second, I seal the rams on the outer edge where the two halves of each rams are glued together from the factory. If you look close, by the clamps that hold the filter housing in place, you will see a gap where the two halves of each ram did not match up will from the factory.

Third, when you use the V piece to connect the ram you will notice an one inch gap in the ridge that holds the filter in place. This is where I used the plastic from the baby wipes box. I cut it to fill the gap where the two rams comes together. I used the silicone to glue and seal the plastic piece in place.

I have no dyno numbers, but STOP said difference at top speed. Fourth gear seems to pull well.

Well that's it. Still looking at headers. Not sure which to get. I think I am leaning towards the SuperMaxx.

Take Care,

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Good suggestions as the fit is always a bit off. Get Kooks headers

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
ScDFACHE said:
Good suggestions as the fit is always a bit off. Get Kooks headers
Nice Idea :ity: Get LG Headers :rofl:

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
For what they charge, you shouldn't have to do this to get a good fit. That is one reason I have put off buying one. I just can't justify the cost for the lack of quality.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
2MchFun said:
For what they charge, you shouldn't have to do this to get a good fit. That is one reason I have put off buying one. I just can't justify the cost for the lack of quality.
Since I have one on my car and have installed about nine others, I would not use the term lack of quality, but rather inconsistent parts within the kits No two kits I have seen have come with exactly the same parts. The older styles (with the bolts), I think actually seal better than the newer ones, but the biggest key is having good foam on the filters. But to be honest, once you get past these minor problems it is a very good system. And if you have any problem, just give Patrick a call and he will make it right (as I know from experience). This last factor makes up for a lot, customer service is so rare now days.

And after two years of running this system, I am still happy with it. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
2MchFun said:
I agree with this. The way I see it, if you are going to put a product on the market for the masses to purchase, you'd better have a great design, and great fit, form, and function. I have heard so many of the same complaints about this product. The fit and form is not exactly something to brag about. Especially for the price. When I was building street rods and fabricating parts, the great Jim Jacobs of Pete and Jake fame told me something I have never forgot. You should only have to buy a quality part once.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
nutbush said:
You should only have to buy a quality part once.
and may I add...
and not have to modify it so that it works correctly.

If it was $100 less expensive, it would be easier to live with the need to "customize" it to fit on a stock car. I've had CAIs on previous cars that fit like a glove - first time, no mods needed.

Backlash - I hear you, customer service goes a long way in my book too.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
2MchFun said:
and may I add...
and not have to modify it so that it works correctly.

If it was $100 less expensive, it would be easier to live with the need to "customize" it to fit on a stock car. I've had CAIs on previous cars that fit like a glove - first time, no mods needed.

Backlash - I hear you, customer service goes a long way in my book too.
I hear you guys and I spent a great deal of time not only debating this issue but talking to Patrick before I bought the system. And frankly, his customer service is what made the difference to me. Personally, this system not only performed, but had a better integrated look than the other systems I was considering at the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts