Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, first off i want to mention that ive been getting a lot of very usefull feedback from u guys , im new to this site and im very thankfull for your help.... Anyway, i had bought a varam intake in my car and had it installed at some local shop, after the installation a few miles later the check engine light went on. i called up the vararam guys and they said that it was from the k&n filter and that it is very oily so the particles fly on to the MAS and that i have to dab it with toilet paper to driy it off a little. i took it into the dealer and my MAS was completly messed up and i had to buy a new , so i decided to return the intake and with all this i probly wasted a grand, i was very upset and it was a huge headache. i know some of you have that intake with no problem, whats the deal

.... I hear an intake is a very good mod so which one do u guys recomend , and one with no problems and no sighns being thrown.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have a Vararam and the K&N filter -- never had codes or a MAF issue. But most intake mods have an "oiled" filter of some type.

I don't think you need to replace the MAF in every case. The excess oil is cleanable. The oil just changes the electrical characteristics of the thermister. If the wire inside indeed broke, well that is a different story. Most take some type of cleaner and gently remove the excess oil.

GM does not consider the mod a warranty issue so you may want to look at the option of cleaning it next time.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
A lot of folks have no problems with the filter that comes with the Vararam. Here are alternates that I have found, but I have not tried myself.

The Wix 46005 filter crosses to a K&N 33-2522, which measures: 16.75 " in length, and 5 & 5/16" in width.
The K&N 33-2011 is cataloged by K&N for Jaguar and measures: 16.5" in length, and 5.75" in width.
Not a huge difference.

Coopers AG487 5 3/8" wide x 16 3/4" long
AC PC414 5 1/4" wide x 16 1/2" long
TR7 filter, UNIPART # GFE 1095,
All filters looked to have the same number of paper pleats.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Now that I have had a few moments to ponder, did the dealer give you the old MAF and was damaged verified? Or did the tech just swap it out and charged up the tab? Not that it is ever done. :sneaky:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would ask for the old part back, very likely it is still good unless a wire broke when you cleaned it. Usually, a good brake cleaner or spray cleaner can be used so you don't have to physically touch the wires which are very delicate.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've had the Vararam VR1B on my car for three years now and I just cleaned the filter and re oiled it and this is the first time that my check engine light has come on.
I took a Q-tip and wiped the excess oil off the wires and the light went out.
I clean & reoil the filter every 5-6 weeks.

Don

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I have the K&N filter on my VaraRam since new and never threw a code or had any issues. I am a happy VaraRam customer.
I am sorry that you had problems with the system.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I thought by law they had to give you the "old" parts? :eek:o:

This way you know for sure that the tech replaced it and didn't simply "clean up" the old one. At least you would have the option to sell it on ebay (if indeed it was just contaminated) and make-up a few dollars. :(

I think in the future, one should be more than cautious when dealing with that service department. :flaming:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
FlosyZ06 said:
hey everyone, first off i want to mention that ive been getting a lot of very usefull feedback from u guys , im new to this site and im very thankfull for your help.... Anyway, i had bought a varam intake in my car and had it installed at some local shop, after the installation a few miles later the check engine light went on. i called up the vararam guys and they said that it was from the k&n filter and that it is very oily so the particles fly on to the MAS and that i have to dab it with toilet paper to driy it off a little. i took it into the dealer and my MAS was completly messed up and i had to buy a new , so i decided to return the intake and with all this i probly wasted a grand, i was very upset and it was a huge headache. i know some of you have that intake with no problem, whats the deal

.... I hear an intake is a very good mod so which one do u guys recomend , and one with no problems and no sighns being thrown.

thanks guys.
What were the engine codes?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
70boss302 said:
I have the K&N filter on my VaraRam since new and never threw a code or had any issues. I am a happy VaraRam customer.
Same here. Self installed and no codes since day 1. I use the HP Filter from VaraRam at the track and my K&N filter for everyday driving. Only had to clean up twice (Only 10,000 miles on the car) It is an easy, cheap mod. Think about giving it another chance>
And unless it is warranty work your looking to have done, look for a good tuner shop in your area to do diagnostic work. I'll bet the MAF could have been cleaned rather than replace.

·
Registered
259 Posts
IT L GO said:
A lot of folks have no problems with the filter that comes with the Vararam.

Me too. I got mine from LAPD with there street foam filter that needs no oil . The street filter is a lot better then the race filter that needs oil . If you hold the street filter up to the sun light you will see the glow of light but no holes . My suggestion ( if you already sent it back ) , get a new Vararam from LAPD with there foam street filter ( NO OIL ) . When you install it make SURE you have no air leaks, do an idle relearn and I don't think you will have a problem I didn't.JMHO
:thumb: Bob :cheers:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just installed my vararam this past weekend and no codes so far and i have driven it quite a bit. Im not throwing any codes. If you spent close to $1000.00 to do all this then you spend WAY WAY too much money. Im sure the filter was just way to soaked with oil and it got the MAF all covered in it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think you had a lousy installer who drowned the filter in oil during install. That is not a Vararam flaw. That is unskilled labor.

Anything aftermarket can be a major headache if not done right. It's the price you pay to play... But some of us, despite the misery and $, push forward on the quest for more HP...

·
Registered
292 Posts
FlosyZ06 said:
. i took it into the dealer and my MAS was completly messed up and i had to buy a new...
One other thing that all of us should remember, the first thing to do when a problem comes up is post it here and get some info before taking your ride anywhere, especially to the dealer.

I've had dealers quote me a price then I call around to other dealers and get cheaper prices and the original dealer will price match the cheaper quote as long as it it from another dealer and they can verify it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Stumbo said:
One other thing that all of us should remember, the first thing to do when a problem comes up is post it here and get some info before taking your ride anywhere, especially to the dealer.
Or use the SEARCH button! I use it before, during and after a MOD. It is your best tool! :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
another option

I use the blackwing for my air intake mod and am very pleased with it, put 18,000 miles on my coupe before getting a BIG BOY and swapping it over with the new Z06, no codes or issues at all.

again just another option, good luck! :drunken:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts