Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for this, but no luck. I am seriously considering this air induction system, just curious - thoughts, pro's, cons - anyone have this one?

Thanks in advance!

D-Day

:thumb:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Expensive, poorly made, hard to install and works like champ. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
IT L GO said:
:rofl: :rofl: It's true It's true :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Honestly, I don't know if it's worth the money because of the poor quality. I would look for something else.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Just like IT IL GO said, but you need one! Just use the latest street filter and service it about every 3,000 miles and it works great. When you do more mods like headers, head/cam, you will notice the increased air intake even more! :yeadog:

Bob :D

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
The Vararam works, the install is not that hard if you can follow directions and can turn a wrench, the quality isn't that bad either, and if you have concerns about the filter, buy a K&N for it. It was the very 1st mod I did to my car and noticed a big SOTP improvement!

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
IT L GO said:
Yes it is true. But the installs get faster the more you do. In fairness it is more that the directions are weak.

Great mod :thumb:

·
Registered
265 Posts
IT L GO said:
This quote belongs on the Vararam website. I've never seen a more accurate post in any forum.
Great description :thumb:

Dave

·
Registered
212 Posts
true for most recent version??

IT L GO said:

Has this description improved on the most recent version of vararam's intake for the Z? I recently ordered one, and I'm not really concerned about the install, but I was hoping it wouldn't take a bunch of extra time with the install because of poor design, as I don't have any extra time! Damn job! :mah:

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be worth it at the end of the day..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wits-Z said:
Anyway, I'm sure it'll be worth it at the end of the day..
It is, but when it arrives and you open up the box and lay out the parts, you will not be happy. :cry:
Installing it will piss you off a bit more. :mah:
Once installed, the first time you open it up from 3-5000rpm, it will have been worth the pain. :yeadog:

·
Registered
259 Posts
IT L GO said:
I rarely disagree with IT L GO but this time I will . All that he said is true except I found the quality was good on the one I installed back in MARCH . As for the filter , foam has been around a long time and it works well BUT you must maintain it on a regular schedule I plan on pulling mine every 2000 miles I got mine from LAPD with the street filter and it looks good and seems to seal well . I am more then happy with mine. Go for it you won't regret it .
:thumb:
Bob :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
882 Posts
With headers, its the only way to go! :cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gentlemen - I have to bring this topic back on the board. I decided to postpone the purchase.

I ran into a friend that works at a local Chevy dealership. And more importantly works at one of our best "performance" shops in the small town of Fort Myers, Florida.

He told me (remember he could get a cut on the purchase, since I would order through him) that - don't buy the varram if you have an everyday driver in Florida - too much rain during the summer months and he repairs at least two C5's or F bodies with similar systems a month - hydro lock!?

No thanks - anyone Florida willing to share that experience? Or is he handing me a line of BS?

D-Day

:bang:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Ok I run vararam, and I used to live in Hawaii. I can count the amount of times I was caught in torrential downpours on one hand. 3 inches of water easy on the freeway, lets look at whats going on with the front of the Z.

Your air intake screens are easily 10 inches off the ground, unless you are fording a foot of water you wont have to worry about ingesting enough water fast enought to make its way to the intake manifold. There are also drain holes on the vararam intake tubes.

Ive raced two Z's at the local track and consistently trapped 3 mph higher than them both with the vararam. It really works, and its safe to use in wet climes. Ive had it on for almost 2 years now.

In my opinon its the best intake for the C5.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have one. Quality wasn't too bad, so maybe it has improved with the b2 version. I didn't use their filter, but elected to go with the K&N and seal it in with silicone instead. Because of the capability to remove the cover with the filter in place, you should be able to clean the filter without removal from the housing. If I had to do it over again, I would have looked harder at the Callaway Honker. I like the Green filter and the quality appears to be excellent. It is a few more bucks when you compare to the Vararam and K&N filter purchase.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i just finished putting mine on last night. took me 2 days cause i kept finding other things to do while i had it jacked up. i actually bought it last year, my instructions say b1 and have the water warning against driving in the rain... but vararam assures me it is a b2 and i will have no problems. i do not know how to tell which one it is. i did enlarge the drain holes to 1/4 inch. IMO the quality is very poor and the filter is junk. i have not driven it enough for the computer to "adjust" but i felt more power right away. my friend's qtr mile went from a bone stock car 12.2 to 11.8 with the vararam. for the money, the fit and finish and filter could have been higher quality, or if need be, i think most people would be glad to pay a little more and see more quality. i have no doubt it works, just doubts about the filter working well and water getting in... at least it got me to change the oil and paint the frt rails where they scape. plus i am really at a loss on choosing an exhaust. everyone tells me the borla xr-1 or just their rear pipes with no mufflers is too loud, and that i should go B & B Bullet or B & B PRT with the speedway tips... so i unhooked the rear stock mufflers completly and except for the jangle noise (i think the H pipe does that) it was not all that loud... an LG long tube set up might sound good with the Bullet or PRT, but i don't know how much diff it will sound with just the cat back unless they are open pipes.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
The main down side is the intake air temps even at 60 mph is 5-7 degrees over ambient.
I proved this to Jim Lembo when he was here and I was tuning his head and cam car for driveability.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts