Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the VR-2B from Vararam, I ordered it because I like the concept and my future tuner recommended it.

Currently, I'm very happy with my car's performance. I plan on getting a tune (HP Tuner) soon.

I've never physically seen a Vararam unit, but I've read a bunch of threads on it. Guys love the way it works, but hate the fabrication and filter.

Here is my delimma: I don't want to compromise my engine for a few more horsepower. In other words, I've read the filtration aspect was a joke because of the sorry filter and fitment around the filter.

(Thought about buying a paper filter 1975-79 Triumph TR6 is supposed to fit)

My question is should I go ahead and install the Vararam or just keep my modified air box (easy to change filters, etc) and send the Vararam back? :blush:

Thanks,

augydog

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had the zip-tie mod for almost two years before going to the Vararam.
It indeed made a difference, specially for long 3rd gear pulls.

My accelerometer (AP-22) which is always been very consistant, always read between 363-386 peak power, and such numbers were very close to what my car dynoed before I put the Vararam. (Dynojet->370.1 rwhp)
Then, after I did the Vararam, the accelerometer read consistant numbers between 390-410 hp. So, that was proof enough for me that it was working.
On the power curve at speed I've always peaked the power at the top of 1st gear, followed by a 5-10 hps loss in 2nd gear and by a 25-35 hp loss at the top of 3rd gear, but now, the loss was between 5-10 hps only. So, I think it indeed does what it was supposed to do, alleviate the pressure loss caused at higher speeds.

hope this helps.

GB.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Keep the VaraRam. There is a new filter coming out that will fix all your concerns. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
augydog said:
I just ordered the VR-2B from Vararam, I ordered it because I like the concept and my future tuner recommended it.

Currently, I'm very happy with my car's performance. I plan on getting a tune (HP Tuner) soon.

I've never physically seen a Vararam unit, but I've read a bunch of threads on it. Guys love the way it works, but hate the fabrication and filter.

Here is my delimma: I don't want to compromise my engine for a few more horsepower. In other words, I've read the filtration aspect was a joke because of the sorry filter and fitment around the filter.

My question is should I go ahead and install the Vararam or just keep my modified air box (easy to change filters, etc) and send the Vararam back? :blush:

Thanks,

augydog
IT L GO is absolutely right: The new filter will address your concerns so buy one and stick with it. I have a 18 month old VR-1B unit and called VaraRam regarding the oldder filter - they simply sent me the new filter unit free of charge and it works great; its is also of much better quality than the old unit.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
IT L GO said:
Keep the VaraRam. There is a new filter coming out that will fix all your concerns. :cheers:
Have any additional info? Patrick has been promising one for over 18 months.

As to the foam filter - the "street" version Patrick sells (smaller foam pore) works just fine if you be sure to clean them throughly every 3K or so, taking the time to reoil properly. If you are not willing to devote the time, the best option I have seen is the K&N filter.

·
Registered
378 Posts
augydog said:

Thanks,

augydog
I had a Vara ram and removed it after a few weeks. Was noticing sand just pre filter. I live on an Island so I guess this is to be expected. Like a 757 it sucks everything off the tarmac. Ittsa bottom feeder, sorta like a hoover and you will notice some FOD in the unit, pre filter we all hope :yeadog:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have posted this a few times, but no one seems to be interested. S&B filters will custom make filters with no setup charge if you can order 50 or more filters. This filter, from what I have seen and been told, is superior quality to the K&N. Wouldn't it be nice to have a filter that just plops into the Vararam and actually filters the air the engine pulls in?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Try wrapping the filter with panty hose... Laugh all you want dumbasses...but just try to read what my license plate says as I'm bitch-slapping your doors off. I have the VB-2 and dont have a problem with sand, bottom feeding off tarmacs or picking up anything. For those have this problem try not to run over everything you see on the road.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
stevep1794 said:
Try wrapping the filter with panty hose... Laugh all you want dumbasses...but just try to read what my license plate says as I'm bitch-slapping your doors off. I have the VB-2 and dont have a problem with sand, bottom feeding off tarmacs or picking up anything. For those have this problem try not to run over everything you see on the road.

Sounds like a great idea. :cheers: I'm just curious what others think the results might be if fine sand were to make it past the filter and up into the intake? I would think potentially catastrophic, yes? I'm no expert on these things, but could that sand find its way into the engine/piston area and cause some significant damage?

Don

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
vettenuts said:
I have posted this a few times, but no one seems to be interested. S&B filters will custom make filters with no setup charge if you can order 50 or more filters. This filter, from what I have seen and been told, is superior quality to the K&N. Wouldn't it be nice to have a filter that just plops into the Vararam and actually filters the air the engine pulls in?
You need to send that info to Patrick at Vararam :thumb:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
vettenuts said:
S&B www.SBfilter.com is out of Ontario, Canada. They seem to be a first class operation from their website. The filters advertised look to be excellent. (looks like K & N)

I would think that Patrick would have contacted them already, since so many people have complained about his filters. Apparently he hasn't been able to work things out to his satisfaction with the filter vendors. Does anyone know what happened with the K & N venture with Vararam?

I don't see why S&B is not making a filter already to fit the Vararam, as I know they could sell more than 50 without a problem. Even if the price was sorta out of line, they would still sell.

If my VR-2B unit I'm waiting delivery on is in decent shape and I don't send it back, I would be interested.

PS: This is a great :idea:

augydog

·
Registered
378 Posts
Don Benson said:
I'm just curious what others think the results might be if fine sand were to make it past the filter and up into the intake? I would think potentially catastrophic, yes? I'm no expert on these things, but could that sand find its way into the engine/piston area and cause some significant damage?

Don
I had the VR removed almost immediately after installing it to prevent damaging my internals but then my Maggie instructions made moot of that :flaming:

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Don Benson said:
Sounds like a great idea. :cheers: I'm just curious what others think the results might be if fine sand were to make it past the filter and up into the intake? I would think potentially catastrophic, yes? I'm no expert on these things, but could that sand find its way into the engine/piston area and cause some significant damage?

Don
The short answer is yes. However, foam filters have been used for years in cars and motorcycles. They can meet the required needs in extreme environments, but they are much more dependent upon maintenance than paper or cotton based filters.

·
Registered
185 Posts
augydog said:
S&B www.SBfilter.com is out of Ontario, Canada. They seem to be a first class operation from their website. The filters advertised look to be excellent. (looks like K & N)

I would think that Patrick would have contacted them already, since so many people have complained about his filters. Apparently he hasn't been able to work things out to his satisfaction with the filter vendors. Does anyone know what happened with the K & N venture with Vararam?

I don't see why S&B is not making a filter already to fit the Vararam, as I know they could sell more than 50 without a problem. Even if the price was sorta out of line, they would still sell.

If my VR-2B unit I'm waiting delivery on is in decent shape and I don't send it back, I would be interested.

PS: This is a great :idea:

augydog
They are actually in California. I have e-mailed them. Their web site states a working prototype can be made in three days. I also e-mailed Patrick on this a couple of weeks ago, but he wasn't interested. This has to be one of the biggest gripes I have seen on the Vararam system. Everyone complains about the filter. I would think any forum vendor that wanted to solve this problem by going to S&B and getting a good fitting filter would be a hero and swamped with orders.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
vettenuts said:
They are actually in California. I have e-mailed them. Their web site states a working prototype can be made in three days. I also e-mailed Patrick on this a couple of weeks ago, but he wasn't interested. This has to be one of the biggest gripes I have seen on the Vararam system. Everyone complains about the filter. I would think any forum vendor that wanted to solve this problem by going to S&B and getting a good fitting filter would be a hero and swamped with orders.
I just sent a e-mail to S&B asking for information regarding price and delivery for 50+ filters. If there is enough interest in these filters, I might take it upon myself to get them and distribute to the members interested.

Will keep everyone updated.

augydog

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can someone tell me the exact dimensions the filter should be for the Vararam VR-2B unit.

Thanks,

augydog

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
augydog said:

Thanks,

augydog
Get the VR2B - the VR1B is a nice unit once they fixed the cheap filter unit and got a different filter vendor.... On cold mornings you can really feel the power under your foot. I am pleased with mine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
augydog said:
Can someone tell me the exact dimensions the filter should be for the Vararam VR-2B unit.

Thanks,

augydog
I would have to measure it. I think the best way to do this, which I also tried before, is to find a forum member who lives near S&B and have them actually take the unit in to them so they can gauge size, rubber thickness, curvature, etc. With the actual hardware, I think we would get a good product.

PS: I am definitely in if you do this ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts