Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ended up with the car having to be flat bedded, the damn crank pulley came off the car due to the bolt coming loose. I am very hopefully nothing is wrong with teh internals of the motor, if there is i am more then likely going to sell the car with a wrecked motor

i think i am going to need a new crank pulley for sure due to this one coming loose 2 times now even with new bolts. must be that the inside bore of the pulley keep causeing it not to fit due to the loose fit possibly????

well yeah pretty down in the dumps today and had to work as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
dvandentop said:
ended up with the car having to be flat bedded, the damn crank pulley came off the car due to the bolt coming loose. I am very hopefully nothing is wrong with teh internals of the motor, if there is i am more then likely going to sell the car with a wrecked motor

i think i am going to need a new crank pulley for sure due to this one coming loose 2 times now even with new bolts. must be that the inside bore of the pulley keep causeing it not to fit due to the loose fit possibly????

well yeah pretty down in the dumps today and had to work as well
Interesting, check out this thread:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?p=745325#post745325

Kurt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Dont' the guys with blowers pin the crank?
I know that is not intended to be about the bolt, but I would think it would help as the pulley won't be able to spin enough to loosen the bolt. Maybe I am off base here.

Any blower guys with a pinned crank lost a bolt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
Z06Machine said:
Dont' the guys with blowers pin the crank?
I know that is not intended to be about the bolt, but I would think it would help as the pulley won't be able to spin enough to loosen the bolt. Maybe I am off base here.

Any blower guys with a pinned crank lost a bolt?

Not Me :eek:


Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
dvandentop said:
ended up with the car having to be flat bedded, the damn crank pulley came off the car due to the bolt coming loose. I am very hopefully nothing is wrong with teh internals of the motor, if there is i am more then likely going to sell the car with a wrecked motor

i think i am going to need a new crank pulley for sure due to this one coming loose 2 times now even with new bolts. must be that the inside bore of the pulley keep causeing it not to fit due to the loose fit possibly????

well yeah pretty down in the dumps today and had to work as well
Derek,
Very sorry to see this happen to you to. As you can see if you read my thread (linked above), please be very careful with this. If you decide to replace the harmonic balancer with a new one, I suggest the following:
- replace the front oil seal right behind the crank
- monitor oil pressure very very very carefully once you run it again. If you see oil pressure drop to the order of 20 psi, shut it off immediately. This is probably an indicator you bent the crank (as I did) and then wiped a bearing. Much less costly to take apart a motor and put a new crank and bearing in it than wait for a rod to come out the side of the block (as happened with mine).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the reply guys,

here is the plan, new pulley, new bolt. new timing cover seal, if the old one isnt tore up too much.

anyone know the cost of the new crank pulley??

also by what rpm should i see the oil pressure drop if it is going to?

i heard the clunking once i did shut it down i am just praying it was the pulled knocking around and not rod knock :(


hell almost scared to take it racing anymore after these problems :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
dvandentop said:
i heard the clunking once i did shut it down i am just praying it was the pulled knocking around and not rod knock :(

It probably was the balancer bouncing around on the end of the crank and hitting the lower sub frame cross member. But, I also believe that in my case that bouncing either bent the crank or destroyed a bearing.

After we replaced the balancer with a new one, including new oil seal and new bolt, as well as an oil and filter change, the oil pressure was normal on startup and idle and a few easy in pit revs, but about 200 yards out on the track at about 4000 rpms the oil pressure dropped almost instantly from the normal 50 psi or so to about 17. I wasn't smart enough to shut it down right then. Please learn from my lesson.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
Based on subdriver's experience, my suggestion is to open the motor up and look over everything, or consider a new crate motor from GM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well boys the job is complete. the new pulley inside diameter was tighter then a bitch, could barely get it started!!!!

i was crapping when i finally took it out for the test drive after i got it installed!

runs like a brand new z06 :D


oil pressure is awesome as well
i do get a little bit of chirping when the motor is cold though ????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
dvandentop said:
well boys the job is complete. the new pulley inside diameter was tighter then a bitch, could barely get it started!!!!

i was crapping when i finally took it out for the test drive after i got it installed!

runs like a brand new z06 :D


oil pressure is awesome as well
i do get a little bit of chirping when the motor is cold though ????
You may want to cut open the used oil filter to see if you have any metal particles inside.

Good Luck

D.J.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top