Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Very strange tire wear on a C6

I keep the tires at 30 psi cold, on the money, check them thru the DIC most every time I drive her. She is a C6 Z51 6 speed. I am seeing 2/32 nds difference in wear between the center and the sides of the tires front and rear. 2/32nd's in the center and 4/32's on the out and insides. Sounds like a classic over inflation issue however I have checked the calibration of the tire pressure monitoring system and they are right on the money. Goodyear says they don't know why this is happening. Am I once again the magnet for anomaly or are any of you seeing similar wear patterns on your tires? For Goodyear to do anything about it, you have to have an authorized dealer measure them. They adjusted my rears at 50%, I am on hold waiting for their response on the fronts. If the tires are bulging out in the center at speed, think about what this does to your contact patch. Yikes! Jump in here, talk to me, Would you folks consider going and measuring your tire's tread depths center and sides? Cool, they just adjusted my fronts at 50% also. The savings are good however I bring the contact patch back up. For these tires to be wearing as described they must be bulging out a speed to cause more force centerline which means the sides cannot be planted as well on the asphalt. That means less traction and a smaller distorted contact patch, and that's not a good thing. Why have all this power if you cannot get it to the pavement efficiently? Thanks for your feedback
Doc E. :usa:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I can't help other to say that the DIC was never meant to replace a tire guage. I know in your post you said that you compared you DIC readings with a tire guage. Stop buy Goodyear Tire Dealer and use there tire guage. :z:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dr.Electron said:
Sounds like a classic over inflation issue however I have checked the calibration of the tire pressure monitoring system and they are right on the money.
The monitors and what they report to the DIC are consistantlywithin +/-1/2 lb of a high quality tire gauge. When checking for calibration you have to wait to compair as the monitors are only polled every 60 seconds then they refresh the DIC.
Doc

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Dr.Electron said:
The monitors and what they report to the DIC are consistantlywithin +/-1/2 lb of a high quality tire gauge. When checking for calibration you have to wait to compair as the monitors are only polled every 60 seconds then they refresh the DIC.
Doc
The only thing I can suggest is reduce the tire pressure to 28 pounds. I would consult with Goodyear first and get there blessings. :cheers:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ask Goodyear that very question to the pound. Should I run 28? "Goodyear would never deviate from the tested recommended pressure". The customer service rep didn't know much about the physics of tire wear. He said to call GM and see if there was a suspension defect. :rofl: He gave me a snail mail address for the Goodyear tech center but no email or phone #. I think I still remember how to snail mail, it has been a long time. I actually have an email address that I got a year or 2 ago when I discovered Force ground tires. Hope he still works there. As for the 28 psi, I really don't want to sacrifice sidewall flex by dropping the pressure. I use to run my rears at 40 - 44 when I autocrossed in the Z. They wore even all the way across. I suspect that the added mass of the EMT tire is the culprit. Centrifugal force is spinning out the centers. Can you imagine what the rears on the C6 Z06 will wear like with all that power? Yikes!
Doc E.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts